2019 upgraded twins choice for 650whp

What turbos would you choose for the most reliable and best power?

• Total voters

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
This x1000

Why cant somebody just make a turbo that lasts...

The OEM ones work pretty good until your run them out of their efficiency island and turn them into a nuclear power hair dryer. That goes for all turbos...

The aftermarket turbos don't last long because everyone wants to run their turbos maxed out blowing hot ass air. Everyone hears "Yo, my DAW turbos made 24psi on 100% E85" Now everyone wants that because someone said they could run it and there is a dyno sheet showing the results. The fact is the turbo is maxed out, out of it's efficiency range, over sped, and it is a BS marketing tool. But everyone who has brand X turbo now wants those results. Never logically thinking, "Hey I wonder what the life of my turbos will be running them on a maxed out tune?"

A compressor map shows mass flow, pressure ratio, speed, and efficiency. It can be thought of as a dyno output/chart for the compressor stage independent of the engine it’s run on. The efficiency of a turbocharger is measured by its ability to compress the air without adding excessive heat. The higher the efficiency, the cooler the outlet temperature for a given boost pressure (it will still be above ambient temperature).

efficiency_island-640x427.jpg

The two areas that can cause damage to a turbocharger are the surge and choke areas:

GTX4294R-Compressor-Map.gif

The surge line of a compressor map is the left hand boundary. This line represents the maximum amount of pressure the turbocharger can produce while flowing the least amount of mass (air). The opposite of surge is choke. Choke is basically the maximum amount of air that the compressor side can flow at a given pressure ratio.

When a compressor begins to run into the choke region of the map, the compressor outlet temperatures will rapidly increase, as will shaft speed. This occurs when you have reached the maximum flow limit of the turbo.

Too many twins are run at or in choke and they over speed the turbos turning them into hot air machines. Let alone a small boost leak and you overspeed the turbos trying to make your boost set point.

No twins have compressor maps so you never really know where you are on the map. What is or is not safe. Unless you have EGT and wheel speed sensors. Which no one does other than a vendor.

You want high boost and cool air from your turbo and it will have a long happy life. Run in the correct efficiency island for your application people!

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I'd be distraught if I bought fake injectors that I was told were real and lost a motor. At least jayoma cooked up pi safety now. That's
The BEF actually reduces timing and increases boost
Shit your right idk why I had that backwards in my head . I could swore I read recently about stick turbos and less boost maybe it was the mission vs bm3 on b58

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
In the beginning I think lots of failures were kept quiet by given store credit, discount parts etc.

Don't forget his NDA crap he makes people sign. I have a copy of one of his stupid ndas he makes people sign to get warranty work. I might redact the name of the customer and post it if he'll let me.

I really used to like Mauricio from his engineering approach, but his completely disgusting approach to customer service is beyond reprehensible. From denial of receipt, to claiming damage in transit (on a turbo that the turbine shaft blew a hope in the manifold!), To denying warranty transfer, he is a dick. This was on a set of turbos that never saw more than 20psi on pump gas by someone that has never posted a negative thing about him on any site, and even recommended him during this fiasco.

After I started speaking negatively about the situation, Mauricio reached out to me and literally said "why don't you like me anymore" like it's elementary school.

If you have mmps, pray they work because the warranty ain't worth shit.

• Informative
Reactions: NoQuarter

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Don't forget his NDA crap he makes people sign. I have a copy of one of his stupid ndas he makes people sign to get warranty work. I might redact the name of the customer and post it if he'll let me.

I really used to like Mauricio from his engineering approach, but his completely disgusting approach to customer service is beyond reprehensible. From denial of receipt, to claiming damage in transit (on a turbo that the turbine shaft blew a hope in the manifold!), To denying warranty transfer, he is a dick. This was on a set of turbos that never saw more than 20psi on pump gas by someone that has never posted a negative thing about him on any site, and even recommended him during this fiasco.

After I started speaking negatively about the situation, Mauricio reached out to me and literally said "why don't you like me anymore" like it's elementary school.

If you have mmps, pray they work because the warranty ain't worth shit.

I guarantee his NDA is not in the least bit enforceable.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

Perfect.

Water cooled with 4 -6an fittings. -4an oil fittings with twin oil rings

On the most efficent 80% efficiency island @ 29psi = 30lb turbos so around 600whp on the n54 if I read it right. 77% at 35 lbs at 70 lbs. Even at 45 lbs you are above 65% efficiency but towards the edge and against the choke line.

Is designed for shaft speed sensors.

What a blast it would be to drive on those and they should last a long time.

Comp-Map-G25-550.jpg

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Perfect.

On the most efficent 80% efficiency island @ 29psi = 30lb turbos so around 600whp on the n54 if I read it right. 77% at 35 lbs at 70 lbs. Even at 45 lbs you are above 65% efficiency but towards the edge and against the choke line.

That's what @barry@3DM and I were going to use as a basis, making our own manifold. But Garrett took FOREVER to release them. We got tired of waiting. Then @Hydra Performance came out with his turbos which enticed us. Ironically we still ended up building outlets. Now ... if only my ported head would make its way back to me so we can get on with this build 😬 . But until then, I have other shit blowing up at my place ... 1,400 hours on the meter, time to do a refresh. Thinking this could be a perfect match for some DAW turbos...

Filippo

3.jpg

4.jpg

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Perfect.

View attachment 32456

Careful there, the N54 is efficient and tends to take lbs/min compressor values and convert them close to WHP (which is awesome) but your pressure ratios don't get a generous transfer function. That pressure ratio is across the compressor, which will be in a system and a function of how that system breaths. Think of that turbo being fed conditioned air at 14.7 absolute pressure, then think of a convoluted inlet with curves and compressed section and a restrictive filter. Now your pressure ratio just went up as far as the compressor is concerned. Same thing on the discharge side (although compressor discharge is less sensitive to restrictions, hence inlets making a huge difference and outlets making "a" difference). It's a system. Bottom line is you'll want to add a couple/few psi to whatever your target boost level is to see what it'll likely see once on the car. Make sense? In this case it's still very efficient, so you're still good, but it's something to be aware of.

Chris

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
That's what @barry@3DM and I were going to use as a basis, making our own manifold. But Garrett took FOREVER to release them. We got tired of waiting. Then @Hydra Performance came out with his turbos which enticed us. Ironically we still ended up building outlets. Now ... if only my ported head would make its way back to me so we can get on with this build 😬 . But until then, I have other shit blowing up at my place ... 1,400 hours on the meter, time to do a refresh. Thinking this could be a perfect match for some DAW turbos...

Filippo

View attachment 32458

Who's a good boy!

What engine specifically? Do you know what went wrong? Nothing like small engine repair!

It should be fun to see more hydra turbos out in the wild and how they perform.

colo_evo

Corporal
Jun 6, 2017
Ride
E90 335i MT
The aftermarket turbos don't last long because everyone wants to run their turbos maxed out blowing hot ass air.

I disagree there. I tuned a car with large aftermarket twins that experienced catastrophic failure in about 1 year running 20lbs or less the entire time.

I've never seen such a high number of failed turbos from a single platform.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Who's a good boy!

What engine specifically? Do you know what went wrong? Nothing like small engine repair!

It should be fun to see more hydra turbos out in the wild and how they perform.
My hydra 650s were virtual dyno at around 510 520 worst showed 490 all on 93. My early rev meth 93 map one showed 540 another 570 but the 570 had slight wheelspin "it wasnt at peak hp show shouldnt effect the 570 part but in my experience any dip or wheelspin throws whole vd way off ". This is only revision 2 at 24psi with ton timing corrections and wgdc peaks at 60 for bank 1 and base and after pid value peaks at 44 . I know some people post base value and stuff even though I understand that your bank value is the most important and only one that matters except for tuning purposes. I have bosch zr5tpp33s plugs right now that I've ran octane boost with and I just seem to not have luck so I'm going back to 95770s gonna gap .26 and call it a day. I'm really curious how my timing will be. My car always was great with them or good old 4 prong bosch lmao.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Got the shipping notice for my Hydra N53 800s head and outlets today. Hoping to be installed within 2 weeks.
This is what I needed to order ... but when discussing it with Omar I was not yet convinced that I wanted to do the head. @Hydra Performance kids around with me from time to time, about how I didn't order the head from him. I just kick the dirt ... oh well. My ported setup will work well. Anyway ... you made a great choice, in my opinion. Can't wait to see the results.

@ShocknAwe curious - what outlet?

Filippo

Reactions: Rob09msport

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
This is what I needed to order ... but when discussing it with Omar I was not yet convinced that I wanted to do the head. @Hydra Performance kids around with me from time to time, about how I didn't order the head from him. I just kick the dirt ... oh well. My ported setup will work well. Anyway ... you made a great choice, in my opinion. Can't wait to see the results.

@ShocknAwe curious - what outlet?

Filippo

Hydras outlet. Also got his N53 optimized pcv system, intake/inlets, and crank solution.

I'm all in. Probably 200+ emails in with Omar and I'm convinced he has either brainwashed me or knows what he's doing.

You'll do fine with your ported N54 Filippo! I just originally ordered (and received) the HP800s specced with boysens and just decided I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do the N53 setup and changed my mind later. Install is too costly and my car needs ALL the maintenance now anyway.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Shoot him an email and see if he has another one he can send you.
He has an outlet solution that is setup so that he sets up turbo diff I asked about it as well.
Also that's awesome he switched out your turbos for you . Im looking for a xi 4 door to put my 650s on and want get the 800s with n53 head and go all out race with my car.
I'm stuck between 4.0t audi s6 doing the above or a m3 or m5 I really don't know what to do . That's why a stick 4 door xi with no payment is looking good