2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 - 10 Gears of America!

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Spoolers,

Meet the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, this savage brute carries the same engine that is in the current Z06. The model also comes with the Z06's dry sump lubrication system. Currently this car is rated at 650 Horsepower, and 650lbs of Torque. The ZL1 gets all the torque at a decently low 3600RPM for the displacement and engine type. Drivers will experience the full 650 horses at 6400 RPM.

2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-ZL1-101-876x535.jpg

This 6.2L Supercharged V8 came to play! If you prefer to bang out gears yourself this does have the packaging for a glorious 6-Speed manual instead of the 10-speed shiftable automatic. Either one of the transmission options will put a smile on your face when you hit 60 MPH in less than 4 seconds.

The 10 speed gear box has similar performance to the Dual-Clutch found in the Porsche 911, 991, and the Mclaren MP4-12C.

2017-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-inline2-photo-672988-s-original.jpg

Even though this car is very powerful it does have some weight under its belt. The Camaro ZL1 is just shy from 4000lbs (Curb). No surprise that it has so much power.. How else are they going to propel this giant from zero to 100 in less than 8 seconds with a quarter mile time of 11.6 seconds stock!

Top speed: 195 MPH

What do you guys think about this American brute? Too many gears or too little fears?!

Reactions: Euro venom

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
I'm just curious. I mean how short is 1st gear? How long and useless is 10th? If you can have the same engine, top speed, and performance attached to a 6sp manual then what are the other 4 gears useful for in the auto? If 1-4 in the auto are shorter than 1&2 in the manual then isn't that lost time in the shifts even though they may be faster? there's 4 extra shifts to get to 195mph. Sure fuel economy. But you have to be going over 130 to even use the last 3 gears in the auto? I just don't understand.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Chances are, the car skips half of those gears when driving aggressively. It just uses the wide range of gears for cruising at optimal RPMs.

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Chances are, the car skips half of those gears when driving aggressively. It just uses the wide range of gears for cruising at optimal RPMs.

Possibly, similar to my auto always launching from 2nd gear. But where is this found to be optimal or maximum efficiency? Cost of production higher, additional weight higher, more computer control engineering, longer production. Plus I know they have their own researchers, but what American is going to buy a 650hp iconic muscle car with an automatic? We don't have the Audubon, which is where I could see it being designed for. I just don't think 10 gears is necessary when the car will be programmed to skip some of them.

Nov 14, 2016
North Wilkesboro
Possibly, similar to my auto always launching from 2nd gear. But where is this found to be optimal or maximum efficiency? Cost of production higher, additional weight higher, more computer control engineering, longer production. Plus I know they have their own researchers, but what American is going to buy a 650hp iconic muscle car with an automatic? We don't have the Audubon, which is where I could see it being designed for. I just don't think 10 gears is necessary when the car will be programmed to skip some of them.
I do agree that the 10 gears is a tad excessive. (This is what happens when America tries to use the same designs of European manufacturers)

But, overall I'd like to see how the milage is going 75 in 10th.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Our explores at work have 8 speeds, and I hate them. The car spends its entire life shifting. When you increase throttle, like to pass, it spends so much time trying to find the right gear that had it just stayed in the gear it was in it would've already been past whatever it was trying to pass. And since it's accelerating in each gear while it's downshifting, by the time it gets to the right gear, it's damn near to the redline in that gear and has to change up. I fucking hate it. The 4 speed in the Crown Vic's may suck for performance and fuel economy, but damn they're so much nicer to drive.

Tweedle335

Private
Dec 1, 2016
Illinois
I love what Chevy did with this one. The design is so much more aggressive than the normal camaro. For some middle age guy who just wants a powerful muscle car, but doesn't want to shift with a manual, the 10 speed makes sense. I'm sure it gets way better mileage than normal if you aren't driving aggressively. Obviously, the 6 speed would be more fun, but for the right person the 10 speed makes sense.