1 failed rod bearing

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I recently noticed a high quantity of metal shavings in my oil filter during a regular oil change, and decided to replace the filter and check again in 500km's. Sure enough same amount of material in the filter again. Which lead to me dropping the oil pan and checking my rod bearings today. 1,3,4,5,6 look like they have equal wear but 2 is worn significantly more. # 2 also happens to be 15 psi lower in compression then the rest. Is it possible I might have a slightly bent rod causing premature wear?

Attachments

• #1.JPG
    #1.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 44
  • #2.JPG
    #2.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 43
  • #3.JPG
    #3.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 43
  • #4.JPG
    #4.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 34
  • #5.JPG
    #5.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 32
  • #6.JPG
    #6.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 34

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Do you mean CTS as in CTS turbo?

Currently my setup was full bolt ons plus relocated inlets with a custom outlet to run 535i tubos in a 335i, Daw stage 2+ turbos. Fueling wise i run a PFS Overdrive kit with a Walbro 525. For a clutch i had just installed a X clutch organic twin disk as i don't intend to run digs. Rear end wise i have solid subframe bushings with new oem diff bushings. Suspension wise the cars just on Bilstein B8 shocks, stock springs, with M3 control arms. As for traction i've put a new set of Michelin PS4S's on my car this year as it Rains a lot here, plus i never had traction issues with them as long as i limited power in first.
What would be your power goal to upgrade to ?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Do you mean CTS as in CTS turbo?

Yes. They are just china cast like DAW/VTT/Etc. At least that is what they look like to me. I'm no expert on all the various revisions of china cast twins that there have been over the years...but they all look identical to me for the most part and probably come out of the same facility in China with the exact same quality or lack of quality components and balancing.

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Yes. They are just china cast like DAW/VTT/Etc. At least that is what they look like to me. I'm no expert on all the various revisions of china cast twins that there have been over the years...but they all look identical to me for the most part and probably come out of the same facility in China with the exact same quality or lack of quality components and balancing.
Thats funny. Fun fact CTS Turbo is Based out Langley, BC, Canada. I went to go buy something from them locally. And while i was in there i noticed a set of N54 turbos. Clay the owner of (Clays Turbo Shop) told me he had gone to china and visited the factory where pure turbos are made and that he was going to be ordering the same Turbos and rebranding them. I then helped him decipher if the turbos he had received were pure Stage 2's, 600's or stage 1's. They ended up being Identical to a Pure 600. This was all May last year. Guess they found a cheaper alternative tho

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

SlowE93

Major
Jul 2, 2017
Just a plane ticket away !
Ride
E93
Never dyno'd but it was believed it was putting down low 600's to the wheels previously. The most i'd intend on making is maybe 650 wheel.
If you were making that kind of power, you may want to try single....
Thats funny. Fun fact CTS Turbo is Based out Langley, BC, Canada. I went to go buy something from them locally. And while i was in there i noticed a set of N54 turbos. Clay the owner of (Clays Turbo Shop) told me he had gone to china and visited the factory where pure turbos are made and that he was going to be ordering the same Turbos and rebranding them. I then helped him decipher if the turbos he had received were pure Stage 2's, 600's or stage 1's. They ended up being Identical to a Pure 600. This was all May last year. Guess they found a cheaper alternative tho
I would believe the cast 600 are China from Pure, not the Stage 2.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Oh man to bad my dynamic autowerx thread went to the octagon I warned people about this 2 years ago. #1 about his garbage re branded 17t 19t turbos people still told me well its under warranty. Lol ok #2 I told people good luck with getting anything from Shawn dudes super shady was running his business out of his townhouse. Told him Michigan isn't far from mn ill drop these piles of garbage off at your front door, he refunded me shortly after. As for single turbo can't go wrong with a 6266 or a 6466

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Oh man to bad my dynamic autowerx thread went to the octagon I warned people about this 2 years ago. #1 about his garbage re branded 17t 19t turbos people still told me well its under warranty. Lol ok #2 I told people good luck with getting anything from Shawn dudes super shady was running his business out of his townhouse. Told him Michigan isn't far from mn ill drop these piles of garbage off at your front door, he refunded me shortly after. As for single turbo can't go wrong with a 6266 or a 6466
Unfortunately i bought these Back in 2019 right as that thread started taking off. I was young didn't exactly do the research i should of either. I'll have my own thread up soon. Me and 2 close friends bought these at the same time, my set and one of my friends set both just failed pretty much on the same day. In his case his car smokes. Both of our sets have less than 5k miles on them.

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
Unfortunately i bought these Back in 2019 right as that thread started taking off. I was young didn't exactly do the research i should of either. I'll have my own thread up soon. Me and 2 close friends bought these at the same time, my set and one of my friends set both just failed pretty much on the same day. In his case his car smokes. Both of our sets have less than 5k miles on them.
Oh if you got early ones you got the worst ones ever made

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I recently noticed a high quantity of metal shavings in my oil filter during a regular oil change, and decided to replace the filter and check again in 500km's. Sure enough same amount of material in the filter again. Which lead to me dropping the oil pan and checking my rod bearings today. 1,3,4,5,6 look like they have equal wear but 2 is worn significantly more. # 2 also happens to be 15 psi lower in compression then the rest. Is it possible I might have a slightly bent rod causing premature wear?
Are you using the metal oil filter housing?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Im not sure if i 100% understood your question, but yes i'm using a oem oil filter/cooler housing. Although it was replaced when installed my new engine. And my oil cooler was flushed.
So you were not using the aluminum aftermarket oil filter housing. That was my question.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

Ah yes the Octagon where threads go to die. There are at least two threads about DAW turbos, probably more. No idea why they were sent there.

I tried to visit the owner of DAW and he would not even agree to meet me. Guy is sketchy AF. All of the cast turbos are basically coming out of the same place. Amazing how DAW had the 'exclusive' 4th gen GC VTT turbos 1 month later for sale. Not the 1st time DAW has refused their warranty mind you. You know the 3 year warranty which is an absolute joke just like their stolen warranty language.

I swear the N54 platform is plagued by sketchy people, sketchy tuners, and shitty vendors. Anyone who refuses to let you meet them, makes you pay in an odd way with no chance of refund, or refuses to give you their legal business name and address is highly suspect and you are likely setting yourself up to get fucked. Like DocVu making you pay with friends and family to launder the money to his gf who does not pay taxes is a perfect example. Or JPworks, or DAW or 15 other people I could name off the top of my head.

Is there any real reason Garrett's aren't as common on N54's

They are generally more expensive than the more commonly used PTE turbos on the n54 platform. Same with EFRs. They also require 2 coolant lines on top of the 2 oil lines that only the PTE and others require. I am honestly surprised more people/manifolds are not designed around the BW lines of turbos. Granted they are generally larger in physical size but MUCH more affordable. If you are just doing highway pulls the advantage of a water cooled CHRA or DBB CHRA is minimal at best. As the n54 is not great on the track(in many cases) the need of a watercooled CHRA is basically nill. That being said Garret probably has the best reputation as a turbo supplier in the aftermarket vehicle space.

Reactions: V8bait and SlowE93