What point is it to much

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
The sizes would have to be massive with probably still little benefit. I suppose one could line each exterior runner, but seems much larger gains to be had by simply not running DCI or stock turbos at 20psi+.

Wonder if a pelt would be enough to fake the IAT though, but could probably wire a rheo in the temp wire and achieve the same thing.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
A vapor chamber heat sink right before throttle bottle or just after fmic could be very effective it's main benefit would be preventing heat soak. With hot side pr inlets and an ade 650 i go up to 30 above ambient idling or cruising but as soon as i lay into i drop to within 5 degrees of ambient by end of gear and multiple gears or aggressive driving i can actually read lower or same then what my cars thermometer reads i guess from sun on mirror or who knows. Point being heat pipes could help that initial temp and could also give that little extra if using a high quality fmic i prob should just try to build a box to isolate my filters like atm does for their diesel intake. their setup looks like might fit rb evo intake

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
A vapor chamber heat sink right before throttle bottle or just after fmic could be very effective it's main benefit would be preventing heat soak. With hot side pr inlets and an ade 650 i go up to 30 above ambient idling or cruising but as soon as i lay into i drop to within 5 degrees of ambient by end of gear and multiple gears or aggressive driving i can actually read lower or same then what my cars thermometer reads i guess from sun on mirror or who knows. Point being heat pipes could help that initial temp and could also give that little extra if using a high quality fmic i prob should just try to build a box to isolate my filters like atm does for their diesel intake. their setup looks like might fit rb evo intake
The 335d box won't fit. I bought an oem 335d box hoping to be able to retrofit it and the N54 sits way further towards the strut tower than the d motor.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I saw a nice setup around here somewhere for closed off hot side inlets. Sealed against the hood and the hood had vents right into them.

IATs at a standstill suck anywhere ambients are hot, but it's noticably worse without a sealed intake. My problem in TX is starting at 120F+ no matter what when it's 95-115F outside.

Would be an interesting test, but I'm following the S55 A2W setup in the other thread to see how that turns out. I'm on the fence about going single on the 335is or going back to an M, and if so, not sure then if I should wait and see what the S58 is like. Not a big fan adopting first year anything in that respect. May single the 335is and hold off the M another year lol

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
The 335d box won't fit. I bought an oem 335d box hoping to be able to retrofit it and the N54 sits way further towards the strut tower than the d motor.
What state are you in? Does it look like could use the mounting points and modify box like cut and move the side hitting closer in and resealing?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I'm interested in the mounting points so i could measure and draw up in auto cad to print a frame that could hold lexan or something

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Then i could print the frame and brackets for anyone that wants and they would just source panels out of their preferred materiel

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
What state are you in? Does it look like could use the mounting points and modify box like cut and move the side hitting closer in and resealing?
I'm in Ohio. Just went out to check again, but couldn't do a perfect fit test with the engine brace in the way(passenger side motor mount is currently out of the car). It looks like there is a slim chance the box might fit, but you'd have no way to plumb into it like the 335d. If you bought, measured, and sold off the 335d box, it would give you a starting point. Personally, I'm just going to measure and fab based off the space alone.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Could you just post pic of the Bottom for the mounting setup they used?
It doesn't use any mounting points on the underside, just two up top.

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
This is the perfect, meandering, off topic but not off topic thread...

Filippo
What i love about forums sone best ideas come about its like a big whiteboard think tank lol
Speaking of which i ordered the 335d snorkel and feel like if i hole saw openings for my filters and build a 3 sided plexiglass box that conforms to the apron i can 3d print an elbow to mate the snorkel to box smoothly and get around those 2 cooler lines that run through the front of engine bay. Then i could just use rubber weather stripping to seal to the sheetmetal , ill prob pull the rubber off my old afe stage 2 intake .

Reactions: fmorelli

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I would make the front side open where the 3d printed adapter mates the bottom cut to conform to passenger side as well as the rear and top panel obvious the lines no where near accurate but basically a round about idea i could either try to fit my pr filters or if not get a very high flow panel like a pre filter and then either y to a small oval inverted filter or just try to get 2 shorter inverted filters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180701-203243.jpg
    Screenshot_20180701-203243.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 99

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
What i love about forums sone best ideas come about its like a big whiteboard think tank lol
Speaking of which i ordered the 335d snorkel and feel like if i hole saw openings for my filters and build a 3 sided plexiglass box that conforms to the apron i can 3d print an elbow to mate the snorkel to box smoothly and get around those 2 cooler lines that run through the front of engine bay. Then i could just use rubber weather stripping to seal to the sheetmetal , ill prob pull the rubber off my old afe stage 2 intake .
335d snorkel won't fit due to the oil cooler lines and the A/C line and fitting. The 335d A/C tucks in tighter and moves the valve over to the other end of the line on the driver's side. Could be a good excuse to upgrade the oil cooler, lines, and t stat. If you can, just use the 335d snorkel as a reference and print a whole new snorkel. The inlet that feeds the snorkel is a direct fit though. It's pretty smug though. So, don't be discouraged if it seems like it doesn't fit at first.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That what i meant that front piece but for some reason when ordering it was referred to as snorkel even though i would think it should be called air scoop collector or something. But yes that piece and do you think trimming or heating up better looking back now that you have done it

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
That what i meant that front piece but for some reason when ordering it was referred to as snorkel even though i would think it should be called air scoop collector or something. But yes that piece and do you think trimming or heating up better looking back now that you have done it
The A/C line and fitting is directly in the way of the 335d tube. A custom one is certainly viable in the space though.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
The A/C line and fitting is directly in the way of the 335d tube. A custom one is certainly viable in the space though.
I get what you meant i was not planning on using snorkel i meant the inlet piece but when i ordered it they referred to it as snorkel, now you have me hoping i don't receive wrong piece.
I wonder if the ac lines have some variance and are what have prevented anyone from making a commercial solution. Or maybe just to small target audience.