Ways to test WinKFP before flashing so i dont brick a module

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hi Folks,
Im about to flash my TCU again and i have a new coding laptop. The previous one was unreliable. Ive setup the new PC ...
INPA works, I can connect read etc . NCS works I can code etc...
I've coded and flashed a number of things in the past but i think im just getting gun shy in my old age.

Is there anyway to test the WinKFP flashing setup ? Perhaps i should just update a smaller module that i can live without ? I have a spare M3 GWS i might connect :)

Open to suggestions.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
If INPA works - winkfp would be fine. Just make sure you got the appropriate zusb for the TCU.

ZF TCUs are straight forward. GM TCUs would need an icom for the signature.

Some kcan cables have firmware bugs.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Thanks but per your last statement I cant afford a bug :)
So whats the cheapest easiest to replace module on an e8x or e9x ... One that will let me keep driving the car if dead ?

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
If your cable works... What is your point? Replace a working cable with a new one where you have no experience with and I bricks.. but at least it was new.. and replaced a working one.. ;)

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I get your point John. It’s logical. It doesn’t address the feeling of doubt though which was my point. I’ve seen cables that were working for a period suddenly start bricking modules. I guess it stems from the fact that FTDI is constantly throwing out drivers that disable counterfeit chips without anyone knowing that it’s going to happen. I have no way of knowing if it’s counterfeit until I do. Schrodingers car lol

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So @carabuser has suggested flashing the PDC. It wont stop the car from driving and if its bricked at about 170 AUD and locally available Ill give that a shot first. See how we go hey ?
:)

Reactions: NoQuarter

Olza

Corporal
Feb 2, 2020
Minsk, Belarus
Ride
BMW M240 xdrive
Good idea. Just recheck usb port settings. Power source. And reflash/update non critical module first.

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
I'd always recommend a bimmergeeks cable though. They are faster and much more stable than anything else out there.

I can flash everything with the BG cable without worrying at all. Other cables limit what you can flash and will brick certain TCU modules and pretty much anything on the MOST bus is at risk.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The danger when flashing MOST bus over OBD according to Brintech is that any one of the modules can go to sleep at anytime and that’s why there’s horror stories of bricked CICs and comboxes. You can mitigate against that by only having what you’re flashing as part of the ring. Apparently taking the outermost fibres on the block and joining them together helps a lot ... apparently

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
It's the protocol conversion logic on the cable that I've seen to blame for CIC bricks. All non BG cables have the same logic for DCAN transmission which contains errors. It works OK for most modules, just a little slow, but when you try to program the MSS60, MSS65, GKE191 or GKE211 it'll brick them. The BG cable fixes those errors so it works faster and doesn't brick those modules.

With MOST flashing people use an emulator which seems to work fine with the BG cables but there's a lot of threads out there of people bricking their CIC when using the normal ebay/amazon cables.

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
imo there are two things wrong with common amazon/ebay/cheap cables
a - they overheat and hang due to one of the chips drawing a lot of power, weather depedent of course...if this happens during a flash there is a high possibility it will brick the module
b - as other peeps mentioned, the firmware on them is old and somewhat buggy, personally i can code everything and have tested flashing pretty much everything except for ccc/cic cause it will take forever and i know they dont work with gm ecus

the bimmergeeks cable solves both issues at a price but if you are technically savy, just mod your cable with the below guide
https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib

full disclosure: i do have an icom but i try to avoid using it unless absolutely necessary...

Reactions: dzid_

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
The danger when flashing MOST bus over OBD according to Brintech is that any one of the modules can go to sleep at anytime and that’s why there’s horror stories of bricked CICs and comboxes. You can mitigate against that by only having what you’re flashing as part of the ring. Apparently taking the outermost fibres on the block and joining them together helps a lot ... apparently

for most ... when a module on the ring powers down ... It bricks. Get a fiber optic gender adapter and connect the icom b directly to that module Instead of using the obd. careful to choose the right protocol.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
PDC flash worked
No going back now

Attachments

• CC266D3B-482A-47A1-8623-7CA6CFA52A27.jpeg
    CC266D3B-482A-47A1-8623-7CA6CFA52A27.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 97