VTT

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Greetings from China. Mine just went in as well. We decided to wrap the silicone part as seen below. Might have been overkill, but why not.

1-jpg.jpg

More on my build here

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Greetings from China. Mine just went in as well. We decided to wrap the silicone part as seen below. Might have been overkill, but why not.

More on my build here

Nice! I also noticed your running gc 2.0s! My first suggestion if you have the engine out still is to move the clamp that connects the turbo to the manifold. Yours is facing backwards and towards the engine if you don't shift it and if you ever have to remove the turbos being able to split them at the clamp helps alot especially if you don't plan to oull the engine out every time.

I actually installed mine the other day and I must say it was more difficult than I had thought. Thankfully I did it when reinstalling my turbos because if I didn't i would have need some very tiny hands to reach the rear turbo otherwise I would have had to drop the subframe to reach the rear turbo clamp. This may not be as much of an issue on rwd models but in the awd It felt super cramped.

20180512_144120.jpg

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Why would even think this is a concern?

Once upon a time I had VTT silicone outlets for stock turbos. Fitment was atrocious and the coolant tank had to be tilted a good 15 degrees or so for the hose out the bottom to clear the bend from the front turbo.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Once upon a time I had VTT silicone outlets for stock turbos. Fitment was atrocious and the coolant tank had to be tilted a good 15 degrees or so for the hose out the bottom to clear the bend from the front turbo.

I see. Experience always prompts the important questions!

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ

I'm guessing that you didn't read the instructions that came packaged with the outlet.... the solution of course being to trim as described, or at least contact us for some assistance. Regardless this is one of the reasons we went in the aluminum direction. The silicone works great when installed correctly, but install it wrong and you can expect poor fitment and for it not to last long at all.

outlet.jpg

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
It's hard to see with the vacuum canisters in but the aluminum outlets fit the stock coolant location just fine.
20180514_104354.jpg
20180514_104259.jpg

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
I'm guessing that you didn't read the instructions that came packaged with the outlet.... the solution of course being to trim as described, or at least contact us for some assistance. Regardless this is one of the reasons we went in the aluminum direction. The silicone works great when installed correctly, but install it wrong and you can expect poor fitment and for it not to last long at all.

View attachment 11508

Agreed. This is the best photo i could find on my silicone outlets in my phone fitting in the stock coolant location. The outlets were properly trimmed which made it fit good.

26153724123015.jpeg

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
very nice piece, waiting for some dyno results.

It'll be a while, lol. I plan to baby these new gc turbos through the first 5k oil change. I want them to break in well, plus i need to find an awd dyno hear me and put in some new coils/spark plugs. I'll update when it's all done though, but it could be a while since I drive this car maybe 500miles a month lol. I might need to take a driving trip to speed up the mileage. Yes I know it's a longer break in period than normal, but I like to sit on the side of being extra cautious; I don't want to have anymore downtime.

Last edited:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Interested in more info on the merge, PSP welds look way better than these as well.

This^ (and the PSP merger looks amazing as well FYI)

Really is a bummer as it does appear to be a nice affordable piece that should have great longevity (being mostly aluminum), but it is designed and worse yet put into production with a glaring performance defect. All said we'd send this piece back to China with the note of not having a post merger ID reduction and instead with two 1.5" ID pipes directly merging into a single 2.5" pipe.

IMO the biggest drawback in the OEM outlet (non-RHD models) is the merger area could be improved upon, however this unit 100% appears to be taking a turn for the worse as it is pictured today. The secondary OEM outlet issue is that the pre-merger ID's are a tad bit small for producing really big power, and this product has that improvement covered- but the merger needs immediate redesign.

Rob

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT

View attachment 11508

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't install these myself.

I had a lot of issues with the shop that installed these, one more item filed under "stuff they did wrong".

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
This^ (and the PSP merger looks amazing as well FYI)

Really is a bummer as it does appear to be a nice affordable piece that should have great longevity (being mostly aluminum), but it is designed and worse yet put into production with a glaring performance defect. All said we'd send this piece back to China with the note of not having a post merger ID reduction and instead with two 1.5" ID pipes directly merging into a single 2.5" pipe.

IMO the biggest drawback in the OEM outlet (non-RHD models) is the merger area could be improved upon, however this unit 100% appears to be taking a turn for the worse as it is pictured today. The secondary OEM outlet issue is that the pre-merger ID's are a tad bit small for producing really big power, and this product has that improvement covered- but the merger needs immediate redesign.

Rob

Robert,

I do hope your Monday isn't ruined being as you're so bummed out about the glaring defects in our products. Yes they definitely flow worse than stock. Just like the silicone inlets. Just like the GC housings are the same AR as the stock housings... :laughing:

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Robert,

I do hope your Monday isn't ruined being as you're so bummed out about the glaring defects in our products. Yes they definitely flow worse than stock. Just like the silicone inlets. Just like the GC housings are the same AR as the stock housings... :laughing:

Just like your China Ebay turbos are 40% more flow through the turbofold!:oops:

Anyway not worried about anything, just calling out the future for your product. Anyone with even an inkling of performance knowledge would understand that this design is absolutely horrendous, to discard such a thing really is telling of your credibility. But hey, a sale is a sale?

At any rate can see the headline now:
"2019 3rd quarter Product Update: VTT Outlet 2.0's now being offered pre-sales open with an ideal High Flow Merger" (that actually is an improvement over OEM and what RB mentioned a year ago)

OR you can take some advice and just get it revised now, could be a very cool budget option that provides some great performance attributes if you do not overlook the basics.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 335i_nick
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Just like your China Ebay turbos are 40% more flow through the turbofold!:oops:

Anyway not worried about anything, just calling out the future for your product. Anyone with even an inkling of performance knowledge would understand that this design is absolutely horrendous, to discard such a thing really is telling of your credibility. But hey, a sale is a sale?

At any rate can see the headline now:
"2019 3rd quarter Product Update: VTT Outlet 2.0's now being offered pre-sales open with an ideal High Flow Merger" (that actually is an improvement over OEM and what RB mentioned a year ago)

OR you can take some advice and just get it revised now, could be a very cool budget option that provides some great performance attributes if you do not overlook the basics.

Rob

What are the basics anyway? Insulting the products/stating they don't work, then copying them in a year or so? Remember, silicone outlets were the worst solution... until you offered them. 19T compressor wheels were a waste of time.... until you released a 19T. Tony didn't make the hp he said he did... until Shiv came down and witnessed. Wastegate parts are "wear matched".... Stage 1 turbos are a waste of time...

I get it Rob. You'll be offering an aluminum outlet solution in the next few months, and this is a good opportunity to predicate your possible sales with some conjecture on a competitor's product. If nothing else you certainly are consistent.

• Agree
Reactions: Sshec152

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
What are the basics anyway? Insulting the products/stating they don't work, then copying them in a year or so? Remember, silicone outlets were the worst solution... until you offered them. 19T compressor wheels were a waste of time.... until you released a 19T. Tony didn't make the hp he said he did... until Shiv came down and witnessed. Wastegate parts are "wear matched".... Stage 1 turbos are a waste of time...

I get it Rob. You'll be offering an aluminum outlet solution in the next few months, and this is a good opportunity to predicate your possible sales with some conjecture on a competitor's product. If nothing else you certainly are consistent.

Not sure about most of your ramblings. For example we offered 19T wheels in 3s turbos in ~2004, which was about 3 years before this platform even existed... but ok you were first.

As for this product we never said it "wouldn't work". We are sure it "will work" just fine. What we are saying is that the merger is horrid, do you not see it yourself? Comments on it? If you want to ignore this "basic" stuff we are not surprised, you'll fix it eventually and the later guys will get the stuff that actually has some "basic" thought put into it.

For the record we have no interest in producing these outlets, especially as your better half China is on to you guys and will have them on Ebay for $125 within a few months anyway. But if we were to we'd certainly do them correctly or not sell them at all, as it sits we'd 100% suggest OEM outlets over these units.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ilkka