Ad: VTT - New Product Release - Billet Motor Mount Inserts

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I am doing away with poly mounts and my camber plates as well... I am trying to tone it down a little bit so I can take the car on long trips without bashing my teeth in on expansion joints.
I wonder how a single side 'insert' would go?

Dunno why it wouldn't work. FWIW you're not alone, I recently did away with camber plates too and installed a much better set of coilovers to what I had. Pricey to improve both comfort and handling performance but I'm growing intolerant of NVH.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Dunno why it wouldn't work. FWIW you're not alone, I recently did away with camber plates too and installed a much better set of coilovers to what I had. Pricey to improve both comfort and handling performance but I'm growing intolerant of NVH.

Indeed! Getting my Ohlins re-valved/rebuilt by @barry@3DM and doing away with harshness if I can help it. Going with his advice for all of it. I had Vorshlag plates and loved them for autocrossing and Tail of Dragon but it is just overkill for everywhere else.

Yea, need another guinea pig for trying out one side to find the "perfect" solution. Then need a single insert buying option :)

Hey @Chris@VargasTurboTech ask Tony how much these weigh? AHAHAHAHAHA!

I would be down for splitting cost given some advice on which side to attempt it on. Would prefer not to insert into the costly passenger side, but it does seem like that holds the most weight?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yeah, not sure how best to approach it.... open for ideas or if I am insane and should just enjoy fresh OEM... down with that as well! :D
I've only rocked OEM mounts due to my fear of mount failures from the aftermarket brands (I would've gone 034 over poly due to poly being susceptible to melting from turbo-levels of heat, regardless of the quality of the brand making them but we know how those turn out after a few k miles - though I have heard the Turner/ecs encased poly ones haven't had much issue and that's what @V8bait uses afaik, but still) so imo a plate like these should be excellent, even with the iS mount. The iS mount isn't known to increase NVH on it's own over a stock OEM mount and is really only 5-8ish durometer stiffer from what I've heard so I would think if you used plates on both mounts you would have the best all around setup if you're worried about NVH and performance.

I am a little interested if these would work with the old ghetto poly-fill also - not sure what the room inside of the mount would be like for both to fit but using a hair less poly and having the VTT plates take care of the rest could be the best, if not prettiest option.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I've only rocked OEM mounts due to my fear of mount failures from the aftermarket brands (I would've gone 034 over poly due to poly being susceptible to melting from turbo-levels of heat, regardless of the quality of the brand making them but we know how those turn out after a few k miles - though I have heard the Turner/ecs encased poly ones haven't had much issue and that's what @V8bait uses afaik, but still) so imo a plate like these should be excellent, even with the iS mount. The iS mount isn't known to increase NVH on it's own over a stock OEM mount and is really only 5-8ish durometer stiffer from what I've heard so I would think if you used plates on both mounts you would have the best all around setup if you're worried about NVH and performance.

I am a little interested if these would work with the old ghetto poly-fill also - not sure what the room inside of the mount would be like for both to fit but using a hair less poly and having the VTT plates take care of the rest could be the best, if not prettiest option.

I actually wonder if adding plates would more or less negate the tiny tactile benefit of the IS mount. And, point of reference - the 1M had standard mounts AFAIK.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

Well I think you can understand the fear of the iS mount being so expensive and 'filled'... making these inserts increase the NVH over a quite cushy feeling. I think the standard ones and the poly-fill ones would certainly see a nice improvement (and make those 'ghetto filled' mounts last a LOT longer!).

I wanted to stay OE but the stupid iS passenger mount was over $700 for the longest time... RevShift was FAR cheaper for the two.

I actually wonder if adding plates would more or less negate the tiny tactile benefit of the IS mount. And, point of reference - the 1M had standard mounts AFAIK.

Yup! This is what I fear.

I think with the OE mounts (non iS) this is a no-brainer. With the filled iS mounts it gets a little tricky. :)

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Well I think you can understand the fear of the iS mount being so expensive and 'filled'... making these inserts increase the NVH over a quite cushy feeling. I think the standard ones and the poly-fill ones would certainly see a nice improvement (and make those 'ghetto filled' mounts last a LOT longer!).

I wanted to stay OE but the stupid iS passenger mount was over $700 for the longest time... RevShift was FAR cheaper for the two.

Yup! This is what I fear.

I think with the OE mounts (non iS) this is a no-brainer. With the filled iS mounts it gets a little tricky. :)
Wait, maybe I'm having a dumb moment here lol, but what do you mean by negate the benefit of the iS mount? Just as in add a little additional more, possibly annoying NVH? Or just make the mount no more beneficial than a standard mount?

I could be way off here, but I was under the influence that the only difference between the regular and iS mount was that either the viscous fluid was a bit thicker (like 40w vs 30w oil) or the rubber holding it in was a bit thicker, thus keeping the ride feel the same except when compressed quickly/further like under acceleration or turning. I've never seen one up close due to the cost so I'm not sure if I'm way off base here, but if it is how I imagine it then I would think there'd be no increase in NVH (vs a standard OE mount) but you should still get that extra bit of stiffness from the plate still since it's really only felt when load is put on the mount, not at all times.

If only Rob Beck was here to tell us how these VTT products would work! :tearsofjoy:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I do not see how these help in any way the performance of a stock mount, other than to increase NVH, which is then negated by increasing idle, which happens with poly mounts.

When my 034 mount failed, the 'cap' on the bottom sheared apart, which allows the rubber encased mount to move up and down inside of the "shell". This insert will prevent side to side movement of the mount, sure, but how can it prevent any vertical movement from engine torquing? Perhaps I am missing something simple, but when I asked Tony on FB, he replied in typical fashion - as a dick. For the feeble minded, how can this prevent the rubber mount that the engine is bolted to from moving up and down, which is where the stock mount fails from what I've seen.

Reactions: tony@codewerx

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I do not see how these help in any way the performance of a stock mount, other than to increase NVH, which is then negated by increasing idle, which happens with poly mounts.

When my 034 mount failed, the 'cap' on the bottom sheared apart, which allows the rubber encased mount to move up and down inside of the "shell". This insert will prevent side to side movement of the mount, sure, but how can it prevent any vertical movement from engine torquing? Perhaps I am missing something simple, but when I asked Tony on FB, he replied in typical fashion - as a dick. For the feeble minded, how can this prevent the rubber mount that the engine is bolted to from moving up and down, which is where the stock mount fails from what I've seen.
It's literally the same exact thing as what BMW puts on the modern M cars lol. It decreases the gap inside the mount housing to more quickly compress the fluid pouch, and does it more. What's there to be skeptical about? :rolleyes:

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It's literally the same exact thing as what BMW puts on the modern M cars lol. It decreases the gap inside the mount housing to more quickly compress the fluid pouch, and does it more. What's there to be skeptical about? :rolleyes:
That’s an interesting way to respond to an honest question...especially when you probably ask more questions than most on here.

• Dumb
Reactions: Panzerfaust

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Wait, maybe I'm having a dumb moment here lol, but what do you mean by negate the benefit of the iS mount? Just as in add a little additional more, possibly annoying NVH? Or just make the mount no more beneficial than a standard mount?

I could be way off here, but I was under the influence that the only difference between the regular and iS mount was that either the viscous fluid was a bit thicker (like 40w vs 30w oil) or the rubber holding it in was a bit thicker, thus keeping the ride feel the same except when compressed quickly/further like under acceleration or turning. I've never seen one up close due to the cost so I'm not sure if I'm way off base here, but if it is how I imagine it then I would think there'd be no increase in NVH (vs a standard OE mount) but you should still get that extra bit of stiffness from the plate still since it's really only felt when load is put on the mount, not at all times.

If only Rob Beck was here to tell us how these VTT products would work! :tearsofjoy:

I'm suggesting that it will decrease the difference in deflection between IS and nonIS mounts when the aluminum insert is used.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Perhaps I am missing something simple, but when I asked Tony on FB, he replied in typical fashion - as a dick.

Typical. Getting answers about VTT products is nearly impossible. I remember emailing back and forth about GC vs GC lite when I was trying to decide what turbos to get and being so dissatisfied with the lack of evidence based answers other than "you'll be fine, here's a Dyno on our shop car" or "looks at these 1/4 mile times" that I canceled and went another route.

It would be nice to see a cross section of the stock mount and how much the inserts actually seat down into the voids.

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
MM.jpg

Here ya go. Are you stating the failure is in the bottom rubber disk part ripping off, or do these just start leaking over time?

• Informative
Reactions: Panzerfaust