Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Shut off engine in nuetral next time it's doing it . Or does it happen if you put in m and downshift while it's making noise? Plus that would be in front of Car right

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Well shit... Now I know it is DEFINITELY the LSD unit. All was normal all the way to work and just a minute ago... I go to park and put in Reverse gear... CLUNK, jammed like something was hitting against something in the rear, then it moved. One of the big bolts on the ring gear must have gotten loose and hit the perpendicular worm gear or something.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That's crazy cause that's the exact failure mode described in recall. Did you maybe buy a full pumpkin that could have been assembled while before like was it purchased from a distributor and not directly from m factory? I'm glad you found prob without making it through 30 chapters of the Bentley manual it just sucks to have done all the other stuff. You have great attitude towards it though

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That's crazy cause that's the exact failure mode described in recall. Did you maybe buy a full pumpkin that could have been assembled while before like was it purchased from a distributor and not directly from m factory? I'm glad you found prob without making it through 30 chapters of the Bentley manual it just sucks to have done all the other stuff. You have great attitude towards it though

I bought from Synchrotech Transmissions, Inc. off of Ebay. David Ruiz has been in contact with me about it. I just sent him an email about this morning. We will see how quickly this gets fixed. I just hope it can be fixed without sending the unit in. I will be more than happy to replace and service parts and save them time and shipping and me downtime.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I bought from Synchrotech Transmissions, Inc. off of Ebay. David Ruiz has been in contact with me about it. I just sent him an email about this morning. We will see how quickly this gets fixed. I just hope it can be fixed without sending the unit in. I will be more than happy to replace and service parts and save them time and shipping and me downtime.
They should send you pumpkin and let you send yours back unless you are comfortable adjusting lash etc yourself

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
They should send you pumpkin and let you send yours back unless you are comfortable adjusting lash etc yourself

I have no idea how to set lash. I figure just replace the bolts and be done. re-use all shims and things be fine.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
If just replacing bolts yes but if they sending new unit to go in old pumpkin then that can be little involved. Old bearings can be reused but with my luck and the fact that it failed I'd prob want to check everything. I just know when I looked into it I was happy that I didn't have welded ring gear then I had hard time finding shop cause when I researched it wasntc an easy install and allot have clunks and or whines due to install. Alot even freeze the unit to make it shrink before install

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
If just replacing bolts yes but if they sending new unit to go in old pumpkin then that can be little involved. Old bearings can be reused but with my luck and the fact that it failed I'd prob want to check everything. I just know when I looked into it I was happy that I didn't have welded ring gear then I had hard time finding shop cause when I researched it wasntc an easy install and allot have clunks and or whines due to install. Alot even freeze the unit to make it shrink before install

I have already asked about a replacement. They do not send in new units for warranty. You must send back yours and they inspect and fix. So now I am looking at Saturday Overnight shipping on a new unit to install tomorrow and then dealing with the old unit later after this fiasco is done. I cannot afford to be carless Monday for work. So we looking at probably $2600 or more with shipping.... WTF...

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
My Mfactory 3.08 large pumpkin assembled by Synchrotech purchased 9 months ago is suspected to have catastrophically failed last friday. Glad you had warning noises coming from yours and didn't have the rear end completely lock up at speed around a corner.

I'm getting a drexler and sending the pumpkin back under warranty.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
@ matryeyia That is not right . That is so horrible honestly maybe can work something out they should really do core exchange for you but if you want maybe I'll buy yours once fixed and I could send mine back for you to get your core charge back ? Ive been juggling mfactory or doing m3 conversion cause does everything but then I'd have upgrade lsd and change its gearing at my power level so I could do mfactory lsd ,ycw axles and CF driveshaft just spread it out over few months

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
My Mfactory 3.08 large pumpkin assembled by Synchrotech purchased 9 months ago is suspected to have catastrophically failed last friday. Glad you had warning noises coming from yours and didn't have the rear end completely lock up at speed around a corner.
What power level are you at ? I thought the input flange was supposed to be weak point . That's why I was thinking of doing m3 lsd. Mfactory had great track record they took care people in past now this is disheartening.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
@ matryeyia That is not right . That is so horrible honestly maybe can work something out they should really do core exchange for you but if you want maybe I'll buy yours once fixed and I could send mine back for you to get your core charge back ? Ive been juggling mfactory or doing m3 conversion cause does everything but then I'd have upgrade lsd and change its gearing at my power level so I could do mfactory lsd ,ycw axles and CF driveshaft just spread it out over few months

Is your car an auto? The 3.08 and 3.15 are close enough for manual, but I see the 3.15 might lug if on an auto with a 3.85. If you did the M3 diff, why would you have to upgrade the LSD? I mean, sure, eventually if/when it fails, THEN do it - but at least you'd have better axles, better diff housing, etc. If you're going to do all that jazz, you might as well drop dime on the 8.8 setup.

Hell, if a Mfactory setup costs 2600 - I would put that towards an 8.8 setup. you could probably do an 8.8 setup for under 4K. Everything is cheap except the axles.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What power level are you at ? I thought the input flange was supposed to be weak point . That's why I was thinking of doing m3 lsd. Mfactory had great track record they took care people in past now this is disheartening.

400-450. Certainly nothing crazy. Married to YCW axles as well. We'll see what happens when David receives the pumpkin and they tear it down. Don't want to speculate much at this point.

FWIW they also refused to send me a replacement while my car is down, so my car is sitting useless. Considering whether I want to do business with them again which will be disappointing as a CF prop shaft was on my list of to-dos and they have a great option. Guess it depends on how they handle it going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob09msport

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Is your car an auto? The 3.08 and 3.15 are close enough for manual, but I see the 3.15 might lug if on an auto with a 3.85. If you did the M3 diff, why would you have to upgrade the LSD? I mean, sure, eventually if/when it fails, THEN do it - but at least you'd have better axles, better diff housing, etc. If you're going to do all that jazz, you might as well drop dime on the 8.8 setup.

Hell, if a Mfactory setup costs 2600 - I would put that towards an 8.8 setup. you could probably do an 8.8 setup for under 4K. Everything is cheap except the axles.
That's overnighted and with core charge should be like 1500 in end . If lsd healthy m3 could hold up but prob is I'm auto so 3.85 a no go 3.15 I guess is doable especially on upgraded turbos . Might make 1st allot more useable actually.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
According to bimmerworld, E46 and E90 M3 use the same ring and pinion. You can find 3.62 final drives on ebay fairly cheap - that would put you closer to stock ratio.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
That's overnighted and with core charge should be like 1500 in end . If lsd healthy m3 could hold up but prob is I'm auto so 3.85 a no go 3.15 I guess is doable especially on upgraded turbos . Might make 1st allot more useable actually.

Just ordered overnight saturday delivery...noncore price : total: $2500.
Will deal with MFactory warranty in the future.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Just ordered overnight saturday delivery...noncore price : total: $2500.
Will deal with MFactory warranty in the future.
I was explaining that if not in your situation with core exchange should be about 1500. Anyway when you get your warranty dealt with lmk if you want to sell to try mitigate some of the cost. Maybe could see if I send you money they send me repaired lsd and I could try send them my core for some credit or I could just sell mine to someone looking for a bolted diff. If you have other plans no worries I don't care to really save money I just know what it's like to get the attack of the n54 on your wallet

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I was explaining that if not in your situation with core exchange should be about 1500. Anyway when you get your warranty dealt with lmk if you want to sell to try mitigate some of the cost. Maybe could see if I send you money they send me repaired lsd and I could try send them my core for some credit or I could just sell mine to someone looking for a bolted diff. If you have other plans no worries I don't care to really save money I just know what it's like to get the attack of the n54 on your wallet

I appreciate your intention and idea. Now let me try to be on the same page as I don't want to misunderstand the suggestions:

You are offering to buy my remanufactured under warranty LSD after they send it back to me.
You plan to send your unit in for their core refund amount.
You also plan to sell your bolted LSD unit to someone looking for such a unit.

So why are you selling your bolted LSD and buying my bolted LSD? That does not compute.

On my end, yes, it does suck elephant balls that this is happening and I have no choice but to buy it delivered by tomorrow. So after i get the repaired unit back, I will have a backup unit, but I am not opposed to selling that unit to anyone for the right price...a number that is worth the energy and time to execute the transaction.

Let me know if my summary is correct or if I misunderstood.

Also, in regards to the battle of n54 troubles...it is like this:
When I was kid, I was fascinated by those Rough Rider 4x4 little battery toy trucks...I would put them in rough surfaces and mud just to see if they could overcome such obstacles. The fight against the obstacles by those little trucks was the fascination.
Then as an adolescent, I was fascinated by natural entropy...like aging, cancer, death, pollution. So I studied ways to fight those things...
And the N54 is a similar fascination...and dare I say, a kind of stubbornness..I know I will lose, but I will not lay down. I know entropy is like the bully of the school yard that always wins...but I do not lay down and I would die before giving up.
Yes, it does hurt...but on my death, I would be happy to know I travelled that interesting path against the god of disorder...vs. being lazy, cowardly or just plain old boring life.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Also, in regards to the battle of n54 troubles...it is like this:
When I was kid, I was fascinated by those Rough Rider 4x4 little battery toy trucks...I would put them in rough surfaces and mud just to see if they could overcome such obstacles. The fight against the obstacles by those little trucks was the fascination.
Then as an adolescent, I was fascinated by natural entropy...like aging, cancer, death, pollution. So I studied ways to fight those things...
And the N54 is a similar fascination...and dare I say, a kind of stubbornness..I know I will lose, but I will not lay down. I know entropy is like the bully of the school yard that always wins...but I do not lay down and I would die before giving up.
Yes, it does hurt...but on my death, I would be happy to know I travelled that interesting path against the god of disorder...vs. being lazy, cowardly or just plain old boring life.

Life is too short for boring cars. Shame the N54 is exciting when it comes to performance and bank account stability. :D