Upgraded T04 turbos for less $ than stock! Wtf? Link inside

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Rob, how much power can I expect by going to aftermarket outlets on a stock turbo FBO car?
From my own experience, I don't believe aftermarket outlets would make much difference. I ran my car with RB Classic turbos, stock outlets, E60 fuel and Throttle Body Injection and did a 11.28s over the quarter and developed 513rwhp. On stock turbos, I believe the stock outlets are adequate and aftermarket outlets would be a waste of money.

Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We ran back to back dynos here and there was very little gains but the wgdc went down a fair bit so the turbos weren't working as hard to develop the same boost.

The difference was around 5rwk max, could have been dyno variance but I wouldn't call it earth shattering on stock turbos.

• Agree
Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I gained 13rwhp and 52wtq with outlets alone, stock turbos FBO.

Same dyno, same operator, same car, same weather. Optimized tune with the best tuner in the business, baseline dyno. Outlet install, 2 quick tune revisions, dyno again the very next day.

HP: 457 -> 470
TQ: 460 -> 512

Reactions: EthanolTurbo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
13hp and 50tq is not earth shattering and could be put down to a number of varying factors like oxygen density, humidly and temp.

2 to 3 deg and humidity change is enough to change the output by 10hp.

I've got upgraded outlets too but wouldn't rush out to put them on stock turbos.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The back to back Dyno runs contradict your ignorant assumption.
If I understand correctly, it seems you already have the answer from your own dyno runs before you ask the question? Please clarify.

Filippo

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Without a doubt yes, the purpose was Rob cannot fathom outlets actually making a difference on stock turbos. So even when faced with an impartial back to back Dyno sheet, he still won't admit they work. He just makes excuses.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
His hidden, and yet again off topic, agenda- is basically to say "my car went from a 12.1sec to a 12.08sec car with outlets as he was able to carry out a bit more boost through a small RPM band before the turbos airflow fall off a cliff altogether. As this on the street basically translates to nothing, we would say "yay" to him and his dyno chart once again.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: EthanolTurbo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
This is literally the closest Rob has ever come to admitting he was wrong.

No one ever said outlets will do literally NOTHING, ever. We have sold them for years for crying out loud. Just that the gains are so close to nothing they are not always worth it, in particularly when in these "lower" power ranges. So don't take it so close to heart for a lifetime, there are many more meaningful things to fight for in this world.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
52wtq = so close to nothing? That's more than a 10% torque increase. That's huge for a $300 bolt on part.

• Agree
Reactions: JBacon335

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
52wtq = so close to nothing? That's more than a 10% torque increase. That's huge for a $300 bolt on part.

On a max effort (literally pegged) stock turbo setup, you got that torque gain for what a 500-1k rpm band? We can just leave out that the tune WAS altered before and after the outlet swap as well, even though the tune was in fact tweaked and only god knows what that did to your results.

Even then and considering the RPM bandwidth of gains yeah still close to nothing on the street... but something nonetheless especially if paper racing is your thing. SO with that along with many years of watching real world drag racing results around the world our opinion is that it is better off saving the outlets for when you are making some real power, however if anyone wants to put their money into your samples' results then more power to them. We will continue to only push outlets for LHD cars for only over the 550+whp range, especially only on upgraded turbos of course. This should come as some value considering we actually sell outlets, and if we had a different stance we could likely sell quite a bit more.... but I'll digress.

Now back to the thread topic.

Rob

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
Rob, this bloke is a vendors dream. He has purchased a product from you, tested the product free of charge and posted the results for all to see. If I was you, I would add it to the website. "A satisfied customer who purchased a set of outlets, installed them on his stock turbo FBO car and independently tested the product on the dyno has achieved results of 13rwhp and 52wtq." Sorry, I just being ignorant again.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Rob, this bloke is a vendors dream. He has purchased a product from you, tested the product free of charge and posted the results for all to see. If I was you, I would add it to the website. "A satisfied customer who purchased a set of outlets, installed them on his stock turbo FBO car and independently tested the product on the dyno has achieved results of 13rwhp and 52wtq." Sorry, I just being ignorant again.

He didnt buy the outlets from RB, not that it would matter as doing those sorts of things is just not how I roll. I do get that it was suggested in jest though, and so true about marketing gimmicky jargon that is ever so common with the vendors on this platform.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
These were MMP outlets, and were done in cooperation with MMP. I've since changed over to PSP outlets. I highly doubt you will see any discernable performance difference between the different brands.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I had several charge side failures yes. All silicone ones will. Except for Rob's of course. I mean, just ask him, he'll tell you.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I had several charge side failures yes. All silicone ones will. Except for Rob's of course. I mean, just ask him, he'll tell you.

Indeed. Ours have been damn good. Only a few, literally a few, have seen an issue over the past couple years. Silicone quality, size, and routing placement has helped tremendously IMO.