Top Mount E60 solution underway.

FaintOverBoost

May 3, 2020
East TN
Ride
01 330ci, 08 535i, 08 535xi
Hello everyone, some of you may already know of me from FB groups, as others have tried I’m working on a top mount manifold solution for all of you. My first e60 manifold wasn’t the best looking or greatest, but revision 2 has come quite a ways and there are more to come.

V1 manifold is currently on a car in a town not far from me and the guy daily drives the car and has put it through some fairly substantial abuse and it’s still holding strong. He is running a hood exit exhaust per his own request.
5AEE7670-7094-4FA5-812F-A5E509564611.jpeg

Since this car has been going I have been asked to build multiple more manifolds and selling as kits. So, with this being said I’m after trying to find a better revised top mount solution for all of you...

Since the last car I have purchased my own e60 535i for mock up purposes toward this and a mock up engine to help speed up the process...

Here is the almost complete revision 2:
991F6DD4-D6F6-4401-85BC-AE53447301B5.jpeg

I still have to add the wastegates and o2 bungs.. I ran out of TIG gas this evening, but will be finished the end of the week hopefully.

568939E2-3242-4DC7-A53D-801809CA67C8.jpeg

the final outcome of Rev2 will have the turbo sitting a touch differently, I will share that once the manifold is back in the car.

I am new to SpoolStreet as a user, but I have been here reading threads for help on certain things in the past. I look forward to helping you e60 guys go topmount. Thanks!

JR

LavosB

Lurker
May 3, 2020
Hello everyone, some of you may already know of me from FB groups, as others have tried I’m working on a top mount manifold solution for all of you. My first e60 manifold wasn’t the best looking or greatest, but revision 2 has come quite a ways and there are more to come.

V1 manifold is currently on a car in a town not far from me and the guy daily drives the car and has put it through some fairly substantial abuse and it’s still holding strong. He is running a hood exit exhaust per his own request.
View attachment 37316

Since this car has been going I have been asked to build multiple more manifolds and selling as kits. So, with this being said I’m after trying to find a better revised top mount solution for all of you...

Since the last car I have purchased my own e60 535i for mock up purposes toward this and a mock up engine to help speed up the process...

Here is the almost complete revision 2: View attachment 37317
I still have to add the wastegates and o2 bungs.. I ran out of TIG gas this evening, but will be finished the end of the week hopefully.

View attachment 37318
the final outcome of Rev2 will have the turbo sitting a touch differently, I will share that once the manifold is back in the car.

I am new to SpoolStreet as a user, but I have been here reading threads for help on certain things in the past. I look forward to helping you e60 guys go topmount. Thanks!

JR
Much appreciated help! Good luck and let us know how it went! I’m trying to manual swap my car first before going single .. I’d be interested in one of those manifolds in the long run 🙏🏻 👊🏻

FaintOverBoost

May 3, 2020
East TN
Ride
01 330ci, 08 535i, 08 535xi
I’m hoping to give the e60 guys more options as well, it’s been a real challenge working on manifolds for the chassis due to space constraints for sure. I will keep you guys updated every step of the way. Since my first manifold is still on the road I’m hoping I can convince the car owner to go to the dyno and get some factual data for you all, we have plenty of logs that he has recorded for Jon Russell who is tuning the car.

On the next revision of the manifold I am going to incorporate an s366sxe Borg Warner turbo. I believe I have the second revision sold, and once the car is dropped off I will start the install with a 6266 if he is still looking to use that turbo.
AE4C2918-2F3B-4F1B-8D2D-C61D060460E2.jpeg

Reactions: doublespaces

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
Is top mount the only choice on the 5 series?

Just about Any Top Mount ST kit will fit - My last Test fit was a ACF 6466 kit. Granted I had moved all DSC, Coolant ect items to the passenger side.

I also test fitted the CES Bottom mount kit with the a GTX3582r - The turbo sits right exactly in the location of the motor mount for the subframe so a lot of custom work would need to be done in order to get that kit to work. A bottom mount would be ideal....

Others has had top mount ST kits work by just bending the DSC module away from the turbo and Custom WG/DP made.

OP's plan here if I am not mistaken is to make bolt on kit with no relocation needed?

As you can see once all is moved from the driver side there is a lot of space to position the turbo away from the VC for some more heat management.

2EOAmgA.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Just about Any Top Mount ST kit will fit - My last Test fit was a ACF 6466 kit. Granted I had moved all DSC, Coolant ect items to the passenger side.

I also test fitted the CES Bottom mount kit with the a GTX3582r - The turbo sits right exactly in the location of the motor mount for the subframe so a lot of custom work would need to be done in order to get that kit to work. A bottom mount would be ideal....

Others has had top mount ST kits work by just bending the DSC module away from the turbo and Custom WG/DP made.

OP's plan here if I am not mistaken is to make bolt on kit with no relocation needed?

As you can see once all is moved from the driver side there is a lot of space to position the turbo away from the VC for some more heat management.

That is interesting, so from a space constraint, the E60 is the best one for top mount guys? How much space is there toward the strut tower? If there was enough space for a proper filter and to give a few inches clearance from the VC, then I might finally give approving looks toward the top mount stuff. The heat tape business just wasn't my style.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
A top mount manifold is the worst for this chassis, there is absolutely no room up top . I mean ya, you can locate it all over to the left, but now it just looks brown together. A log manifold with the turbo set back to hang under the 456 ports. The engine mount sits right under the water pipe, so center mount manifolds are also useless. As far as flow, a lot of LS kits run the same setup. It’s great to have someone out there working on this, it’s just not a feasible setup.