E60 - CarPlay Installed, no audio

Jeffroii

Lurker
Aug 10, 2023
Hey all,

Last night I hooked up a retrofit Apple Carplay device from Euro Style Tuning (see here), and it works great! It connects to my phone and I can use the original CIC dials to move around...except there's no audio. I transferred over the optical cable, I have routed the aux cable from the back of the CD player to the armrest and have the proper input selected as "aux" in the original CIC system...but still nothing. I can even use the steering wheel buttons!

I took another crack at it this morning but still nothing. I can hear audible sound while disconnecting and reconnecting both sides of the aux cable, but that's about it. Any suggestions? See pics for current wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_9464.jpg
    IMG_9464.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 11

Jeffroii

Lurker
Aug 10, 2023
I figure I should add that I can still plug in my phone to the aux jack and hear that way.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Have you tried feeding the aux out from the device direct to an amp / other playback device ?

Jeffroii

Lurker
Aug 10, 2023
Have you tried feeding the aux out from the device direct to an amp / other playback device ?

My buddy and I hooked it up to a speaker last night also to no avail. I assume it's a problem with the unit itself, I've been back-and-forth emailing the company but they're not much help either sadly.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
My buddy and I hooked it up to a speaker last night also to no avail. I assume it's a problem with the unit itself, I've been back-and-forth emailing the company but they're not much help either sadly.
That’s the problem with Aliexpress type purchases..great value if it works ..but if it doesn’t then..

Jeffroii

Lurker
Aug 10, 2023
That’s the problem with Aliexpress type purchases..great value if it works ..but if it doesn’t then..

They have a year warranty policy so I’m going to attempt to get a refund and order a similar unit from somewhere else. Pretty annoying, especially now that I’m going to have to take the dash trim apart again which was pretty annoying the first time :(

Jeffroii

Lurker
Aug 10, 2023
As an update, I reinstalled the original iDrive system and ensured everything was working properly. I'm going to try to send back the unit. For now, the problem is fixed and the original aux functionality still works.

Reactions: pbondar