E89 Top harness preventative recommendation

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ok this likely applies to all BMW convertible hardtops. But that said, alongside replacing the two salmon relays periodically, there is a poorly executed harness wire tie on the passenger side that should be addressed. Especially in situations where vibration or movement is present, wire ties should never directly clamp a set of wires. Cable ties have hard plastic edges that can chafe the wires during movement and eventually cause failures (and shorts!) With your top half open, you can easily inspect the wiring looms going up both sides of the articulating top arms, from the trunk. You'll see that several cable ties are run around a plastic boss which holds the wires in place without the cable ties directly cinching the wires.

BUT ... on the passenger side there is a cable tie right before where the loom bends. Already the bend is a likely long-term issue. But that cable tie is a recipe for disaster. The solution - cut that cable tie, and make a new cable tie which is covered with two passes of shrink tubing. Fit the tubing long enough to protect the loom, but short enough to allow the cable tie to cinch up. That cable tie does not need the grip of Thor on those wires, but just enough to keep them generally together. The shrink wrap will provide cushion and protect the wires. @doublespaces

Filippo

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:

KAIZZER

Corporal
Feb 13, 2019
New England
Ride
e89 z4 35i, Mk7.5 Gti, 02 Wrx
I've already purchased the two salmon relays, and like clockwork the roof has started to jerk and/or not fully open/close smoothly. Ill have to take a deeper look to figure out whats going on soon. I did check the harness but could not find anything immediately wrong, and as for the zip ties - let's just say I'm happy to find out thats standard from the factory lol I was wondering about that.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: RobbiZ4

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
I've already purchased the two salmon relays, and like clockwork the roof has started to jerk and/or not fully open/close smoothly. Ill have to take a deeper look to figure out whats going on soon. I did check the harness but could not find anything immediately wrong, and as for the zip ties - let's just say I'm happy to find out thats standard from the factory lol I was wondering about that.

Thanks for sharing!

If it jerked there will be an error code. The code will tell you which side has a bad connection. I recommend getting it fixed asap.

If the wire breaks completely, the roof will get stuck, and you will have a bad day. Ask me how I know. It is much easier to fix when the roof can still be operated.

The process is fairly simple. You just open the roof halfway and to the point where the trunk is fully open. Then you basically just cut out the old wires and solder in new ones. All the way from the connector to the trunk area so you cover all the possible bends. In my experience the wires break where they bend or near the sensor connectors, and you may not be able to measure which one is faulty, because the fault is intermittent.

Been through this twice already. Workshop recommended changing the roof hydraulic oil as well, but not sure how to do that.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Been through this twice already. Workshop recommended changing the roof hydraulic oil as well, but not sure how to do that.
Thats fascinating. Hadn't heard that one yet. Wonder why? Contamination? Certainly the duty cycle is mild. I don't have any idea how that's done either. Wonder what @RobbiZ4 thinks?

Filippo

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Thats fascinating. Hadn't heard that one yet. Wonder why? Contamination? Certainly the duty cycle is mild. I don't have any idea how that's done either. Wonder what @RobbiZ4 thinks?

Filippo

The workshop had been dealing with a couple of failed hydraulic pumps on previous generation Z4s. They said when the oil came out, it didn't look good at all.

• Wow

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The workshop had been dealing with a couple of failed hydraulic pumps on previous generation Z4s. They said when the oil came out, it didn't look good at all.
That sounds like contamination. Too lazy to find Z4 docs but E93 should be about the same ... Page 37-38 ... looks like a reservoir with a level indicator (according t page 39). Of course it says lifetime :rolleyes: ... but ... "If the hydraulic fluid needs to be refilled due to leaks ensure that the approved hydraulic fluid is used. Add hydraulic fluid only up to the mark on the reservoir." Looks like one could visually inspect the fluid by color. If I was looking to replace, I might think about a turkey baster and just swap the reservoir fluid. Just my thoughts out loud.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Currently, my car has the battery disconnected and the roof is half down/up. So I guess I'm good to go.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Currently, my car has the battery disconnected and the roof is half down/up. So I guess I'm good to go.
I'm not quite sure about that. I believe traditional hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic and I think that's probably the question.

What that says is your seals are pretty good.

Filippo

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The pump can't run wild if the battery is disconnected right? And if it does screw up, my roof is already open for servicing, so I guess I'm prepared for the melt down.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@RobbiZ4 thanks! So preventative oil changing is not necessary by your experience - no real contamination issues through the seals?

Thanks to you, Hella has sold a lot of relays :grin: :grin: :grin:

Filippo

• Funny