Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Dallas, TX but soon to be Cocoa Beach FL
Ride
2012 z4
Walk out take a drive and see this:
IMG_20220101_132400382_HDR.jpg

Apparently the window went down on it's own over the past 24-48 hrs by itself. Not a FOB issue, as only the drivers window down.

So now dealing with this, car was on a hill (good thing) got the seats out, new shop vac in use, dehumidifier going. Had to start the car to get in garage. Drove fine, top down ok, but stereo making a thump, thump sound every ~ 6-7 seconds. Amp (aftermarket) in trunk, Idrive working - thoughts?? Probably not hooking up battery for another 2 days.

BTW: apparently a random window going down in BMW is a thing, based on searching the web. Microswitch issue possibly?

Happy 2022...

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Sorry this happened to you! Same shit happened with my 535i but it was a fob issue. All 4 windows rolled down and the sun rood opened a 1/4 of the way all while its snowing. IDK HOW but i got lucky and not to much got into the car. Maybe the amp is being shorted by the water in the under seat sub.

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Since we don't know what/how/where the aftermarket amp is wired and where else the water has gone I suggest you dry it out as quickly as possible and avoid exercising the electrical system..if you can manage to disconnect the battery (avoiding shutting the boot lid) then that would be good...

Any connectors with water in should have some WD40 type stuff sprayed in them toute de suite to avoid electrolytic corrosion...IMHO

Have you got any moisture at the front near the FRM?

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Ride
2012 z4
Subs on back wall (above that red thing in pics on right (behind seats)). Amp on other side of wall (trunk) in stock location (vertical - and dry). No moisture in the footwell, and no electronics under/behind the seat on this side (cabling does run on left side though. Been looking for any connectors for WD-40 - can't really find any short pf pulling the kick panel where the speaker is.

Got the humidity down to 30 % in the car... still getting a bit of moisture out...

pbondar

Sergeant
May 30, 2020
Subs on back wall (above that red thing in pics on right (behind seats)). Amp on other side of wall (trunk) in stock location (vertical - and dry). No moisture in the footwell, and no electronics under/behind the seat on this side (cabling does run on left side though. Been looking for any connectors for WD-40 - can't really find any short pf pulling the kick panel where the speaker is.

Got the humidity down to 30 % in the car... still getting a bit of moisture out...
Well that’s a relief …strange why the loudspeakers were pulsing..hopefully drying it out will restore order..

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Ride
2012 z4
Down to 25% humidity (I'm outside of Atlanta - so that's a miracle in itself), and after an hour, no water in the dehumidifier. Likely going to let it sit with a fan (only) on it one more night and put it together tomorrow.

Lurcher

Sergeant
Apr 6, 2018
Ride
2012 z4
Last night, got down to 20%, and drained the humidifier (nothing). Let it go 3 more hours and got no additional water, so opened it all back up, put a fan on again with the carpet up (yea, I'm paranoid) and planning on reassembling today.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
You don't want to drop below outside relative humidity. Don't dry the car out, literally. Including the leather!

You need to lift the carpet and insulation and get a small fan going in there.

Reactions: SLOWESTN54

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Sucks to have happen. There is brand name stuff like DampRid and they sell bags/containers/packs or you can just look for desiccant online etc.

I agree with @fmorelli gotta get the carpet and insulation up if you really want to dry it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLOWESTN54

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
I have seen with a weak battery the window comes down as expected when the door is opened but doesn't go back up when closed.