Throttle faults and idle hunting after parked for a few hours

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
Hi,

My car was running fine, I parked it for a few hours and when I started it again the idle was hunting and I had the following faults:

2CF9 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE
2D1D - DME: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor 1, voltage supply

The diagnostics I've tried so far are clearing the codes, resetting the throttle adaptions with MHD and pulling the charge pipe off and checking the throttle movement to see if it moves freely by hand. I think my next step will be checking the fuses when I get another chance.

Nothing I have tried has worked yet, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
Could be the throttle body itself.

Do you have JB4 installed? What about a forward-facing intake manifold?

I've had bad/intermittent connections with the JB4 gray sub-connector, and the throttle body/TMAP wiring extension required for the intake manifold.

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
I'm flash only at the moment, no front facing manifold, I do have an S55 charge cooler on which means I have a longer TMAP extension, throttle connector doesn't have an extension though.

It seems throttle body is the most likely culprit, the only thing that makes me doubt that is this fault:
Seems like a pedal fault, however, I don't know any more details than MHD has given me so I may be misinterpreting it, what do you guys think? Swap out the TB and see if it fixes it?

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
Hi guys, been a while but just got a chance to swap the throttle body, I'm still having the same issue after swapping it and clearing adaptations though, is there a fuse specific to the throttle circuit? Any other ideas? The codes are the same as before

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
next try swapping the pedal, its a process of elimination, it could be dme if water got into it.

Check all fuses one by one

Electronic faults are the worst.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hi,

My car was running fine, I parked it for a few hours and when I started it again the idle was hunting and I had the following faults:

2CF9 - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 1
2CFA - DME: Throttle-valve potentiometer 2
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE

The diagnostics I've tried so far are clearing the codes, resetting the throttle adaptions with MHD and pulling the charge pipe off and checking the throttle movement to see if it moves freely by hand. I think my next step will be checking the fuses when I get another chance.

Nothing I have tried has worked yet, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Had this years ago and changed my pedals and throttle body and went away.

dpaul

Jan 8, 2019
Ride
2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3
As you can see in the schematic in the link below, there is no fuse for the accelerator module, which connects directly to the DME. Try disconnecting and cleaning the plug in connectors. If that doesn't do it, new pedal time

Reactions: all4bspinnin

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
Hi again,

So I've just left this because I'm tired of N54 problems. Got back to it and have solved one of the faults by removing the ECA.

I've now changed:
-Throttle body
-Throttle pedal
-Throttle body connector

Checked every 30A fuse I could find, checked the pins on the DME connector and adjusted them with a tiny screwdriver to make sure they had contact.

Done the throttle reset with both MHD and the pedal method many times.

I'm pretty much done here and I've still got the same faults. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-182228.png
    Screenshot_20201023-182228.png
    251.3 KB · Views: 55

onlyvali

Nov 5, 2020
Hi again,

So I've just left this because I'm tired of N54 problems. Got back to it and have solved one of the faults by removing the ECA.

I've now changed:
-Throttle body
-Throttle pedal
-Throttle body connector

Checked every 30A fuse I could find, checked the pins on the DME connector and adjusted them with a tiny screwdriver to make sure they had contact.

I'm pretty much done here and I've still got the same faults. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

do you found a solution? you fixed?

Fredm21

Private
Oct 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i e92
Hi again,

I've now changed:
-Throttle body
-Throttle pedal
-Throttle body connector

Thanks
Hey bud, any updates on this?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Hey bud, any updates on this?
Hi again,

I've now changed:
-Throttle body
-Throttle pedal
-Throttle body connector

Thanks
Did you stick the key in the accessories position with all dash lights ON then wait 30 seconds before starting the car after you reset the throttle in MHD? if not, it won't run correct at all... will feel as if engine is choking confused and seeking...

Fredm21

Private
Oct 20, 2019
Ride
Bmw 335i e92
Hi, if anyone get the same issue. I also had this issue and it hapenned to be a bad dme. The one I got from the supplier had water damage. Now fixed with a new dme.
After getting my dme upgraded from msd80 to msd81.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Reactions: matreyia