TCM connection pins broken

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
ZF6HP21
So... this happened. Was removing the valve body from underneath the car as I was not getting any communication, i suspected the sealing sleeve. As I suspected, the sealing sleeve was not properly installed during the reinstall process. I correctly placed it and assumed my problem was fixed until I saw the pins in the TCM connector. I was careful to use an ESD and kept myself grounded as to prevent it from being shorted. I thought I removed the valve body in the correct way, disconnecting the connector before dropping the structure, but I may have fucked this up.

I'm not great with electrical, but if this is just an electrical connection, could I just solder the broken pin back into the adapter and straighten the pins? Also it appears I can remove the singular electric housing without replacing the entire TCM, however I haven't figured how to remove it yet.

Last edited:

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Pic attached

Attachments

• 20180412_135951.jpg
    20180412_135951.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,112

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I did this a couple years ago. I had to search high and low for what those pins go to and a diagram etc. Some of them are nothing and I was lucky enough to break one that wasnt needed. I called ZF and they said Id need to replace the valvebody or trans. If you try to fix it pins they are VERY brittle if you try to bend and idk how easy it would be to soldier.

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
I did this a couple years ago. I had to search high and low for what those pins go to and a diagram etc. Some of them are nothing and I was lucky enough to break one that wasnt needed. I called ZF and they said Id need to replace the valvebody or trans. If you try to fix it pins they are VERY brittle if you try to bend and idk how easy it would be to soldier.
Do you know if the TCM is VIN specific? I could find a salvaged one and reprogram it if necessary. I know BMW North America will charge me at least $2000 for a new valve body

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
Also, if you could easily find that diagram again or know what keywords to search for that would be fucking amazing.

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
ZF6HP21
So... this happened. Was removing the valve body from underneath the car as I was not getting any communication, i suspected the sealing sleeve. As I suspected, the sealing sleeve was not properly installed during the reinstall process. I correctly placed it and assumed my problem was fixed until I saw the pins in the TCM connector. I was careful to use an ESD and kept myself grounded as to prevent it from being shorted. I thought I removed the valve body in the correct way, disconnecting the connector before dropping the structure, but I may have fucked this up.

I'm not great with electrical, but if this is just an electrical connection, could I just solder the broken pin back into the adapter and straighten the pins? Also it appears I can remove the singular electric housing without replacing the entire TCM, however I haven't figured how to remove it yet.

Ok so I snapped a couple pins around 2 years ago, and after contacting lots of local ECU repair shops all of whom said sorry can’t fix it, I thought fuck it and solderd them back on! Well it worked and has Been fine ever since. Iv had trans back out 3 times since for various works too with no issues.

I think if you take your time and carefully straighten what ones you can then solder the others hopefully you will be ok. As Payam said the pins are brittle tho. Test fit the plug while the TCU is out of the car tho to make sure it’s all ok first.