Single turbo 100 octane

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
My thought is to just dial the tune back a bit. Not looking to set records but if I can hit 600-650 awhp on race gas without P.I. I’m good.

I am XI so DB shotgun is out, not sure about the single barrel though.

You probably won't need Single barral if you're HPFP is healthy. You can definitely make 600-650whp on race gas however with the single barrel you could probably hit around 800whp since the barrel is rated for 600whp on straight e85.

Stucks

Private
Nov 3, 2016
Moco,md
I ran 100-116 unleaded octane with meth/water (for cooling) on hybrids over 600whp for a long time and my hpfp(stock) and lpfp (single walbro 450 aka stage 2) was always great. Didnt want to buy PI to run e85, so race fuel was the only option to make power and not run out of fuel.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Well that is great to hear. I have a 100 octane pump near my house so it is convenient for me. The obvious bad side of race gas is the cost @ $7.50 a gallon. The good side is the quality and consistency. No flex fuel or winter mix problems. I am also expecting much better gas mileage overall compared to E85. Not having to pay for and deal with all the other auxiliary fueling B.S. makes it even more cost effective. I have another DD so fuel cost is negligible.

The biggest advantage is complete DME fuel control safety without over-driving the HPFP. I am also not convinced E85 is as safe for these engines as everyone thinks but that is another thread. At the 600+whp power level, race gas over E85 seems like a no brainier, at least in my case.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

JStock_BTN54

Lurker
Nov 3, 2016
Essex County NJ
Well that is great to hear. I have a 100 octane pump near my house so it is convenient for me. The obvious bad side of race gas is the cost @ $7.50 a gallon. The good side is the quality and consistency. No flex fuel or winter mix problems. I am also expecting much better gas mileage overall compared to E85. Not having to pay for and deal with all the other auxiliary fueling B.S. makes it even more cost effective. I have another DD so fuel cost is negligible.

The biggest advantage is complete DME fuel control safety without over-driving the HPFP. I am also not convinced E85 is as safe for these engines as everyone thinks but that is another thread. At the 600+whp power level, race gas over E85 seems like a no brainier, at least in my case.
That's not a bad price for 100oct. I have it near me as well, and it's 10.00/gallon. Nice $160.00 fill-up

Stucks

Private
Nov 3, 2016
Moco,md
When I started using race fuel from the pump back in 2012, it was $6.85 a gallon. It went up to $7.85 a gallon a few years later. It was sunoco 260gt (100 octane). When I started pushing things even higher, I started using gulf mach 116. Car ran like a raped ape on that stuff....but it was about 100 bucks per 5 gallon drum. Be forewarned, race fuel is not cheap lol.

ms335i

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Does anyone have a dyno graph or a log of a single turbo running on 100 octane. I wanna see where my hpfp pressures would be at, at 23 psi and if it's even possible with a stage 2 lpfp. Thanks.

Sorry to revive a old thread but better than making the same one.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Does anyone have a dyno graph or a log of a single turbo running on 100 octane. I wanna see where my hpfp pressures would be at, at 23 psi and if it's even possible with a stage 2 lpfp. Thanks.

Should have a dyno in a few weeks. Based on my research it definitely is possible as long as the hpfp is in good condition.

Reactions: Optigrab

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I still think the cooling benefits of using E85 on our stock motors is being overlooked greatly here. I would not be comfortable running higher than 500whp on stock pistons without Ethanol.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I still think the cooling benefits of using E85 on our stock motors is being overlooked greatly here. I would not be comfortable running higher than 500whp on stock pistons without Ethanol.

Aren't the cooling properties of ethanol minimal compared to applications where it is injected in the port?

ms335i

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Should have a dyno in a few weeks. Based on my research it definitely is possible as long as the hpfp is in good condition.

Sounds good, I'll be waiting for results.

Have you ran the car yet? What boost are you running?

Thanks

ms335i

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
Ride
07 335i

I think the benefit really is great but what scares me about running full e85 is the addition of port injection, it just adds more complexity and more room for failure. I'm just hungry for a couple more psi (just enough to really gap those modern muscle cars). I would still run e40 as my DD map because it's cheap.

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i

Care to share the location of your secret race gas pump? lol I am in PA as well.

I agree with you on E85 especially for the people that dont DD. I dont think many people pickle their system with gas like they should.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Sounds good, I'll be waiting for results.

Have you ran the car yet? What boost are you running?

Thanks

Running on 93 now. Unfortunately i burned up my 450 pump. Hoping to have it back from Fuel-It it by end of this week. Im am also upgrading my suspension with poly bushing, ecs trailing arms, new hpfp etc. so it will be 2 or so weeks until I hit the dyno with 100 octane. Jake at motive will tune it. Should be interesting.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Care to share the location of your secret race gas pump? lol I am in PA as well.

Tolino's Valero Station
100 S. First Street
Bangor, PA 18091

It’s Sunoco 100. You just need to join their fuel club to use the pump. I think it may have gone up in price slightly since I posted but still is the cheapest in my area by far.

Reactions: Optigrab

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
IMG_20181002_190024_01.jpg
Bought my car in Baltimore and drove it back to Indy and saw this at a random station in Ohio. Middle of nowhere. It was at the regular pump too and not off by itself. Never seen anything like it before. Location in the screenshot attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181002-185934.png
    Screenshot_20181002-185934.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 71

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Aren't the cooling properties of ethanol minimal compared to applications where it is injected in the port?

There is debate about that. Some claim that E85's heat of vaporization does provide a charge cooling benefit, even in DI engines, while others say it's only the AKI (anti knock index) that is increased by using ethanol. Based on the lower thermal engergy in ethanol, I choose to believe that the cooling benefit is present and helps save the stock pistons.

I think the benefit really is great but what scares me about running full e85 is the addition of port injection, it just adds more complexity and more room for failure. I'm just hungry for a couple more psi (just enough to really gap those modern muscle cars). I would still run e40 as my DD map because it's cheap.

Yeah, I'm no fan of PI at all. Pray and spray. True, MHD now has the ability to kill a coil when a misfire is detected, but I still look at PI as a bandaid. I think the shotgun, both single and dual, are vastly over rated. If the single barrel were priced more competitively - say $500 (which I think would still have a healthy margin), you'd see a BUNCH of people switch. With flex fuel available and a single barrel shotgun, you can easily get to 650+ on E40 - E60 mixes. I am just astounded at the prices of fueling components for this platform in general. It's the biggest obstacle for me at least.

Bought my car in Baltimore and drove it back to Indy and saw this at a random station in Ohio. Middle of nowhere. It was at the regular pump too and not off by itself. Never seen anything like it before. Location in the screenshot attached

That is likely leaded so it will foul your o2s quicker than normal.

ms335i

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
Ride
07 335i
Running on 93 now. Unfortunately i burned up my 450 pump. Hoping to have it back from Fuel-It it by end of this week. Im am also upgrading my suspension with poly bushing, ecs trailing arms, new hpfp etc. so it will be 2 or so weeks until I hit the dyno with 100 octane. Jake at motive will tune it. Should be interesting.
Nice. I will definitely be anxiously waiting for results. Chris from Motiv has tuned mine and it runs great at 20 psi on e30-e40.

Yeah, I'm no fan of PI at all. Pray and spray. True, MHD now has the ability to kill a coil when a misfire is detected, but I still look at PI as a bandaid. I think the shotgun, both single and dual, are vastly over rated. If the single barrel were priced more competitively - say $500 (which I think would still have a healthy margin), you'd see a BUNCH of people switch. With flex fuel available and a single barrel shotgun, you can easily get to 650+ on E40 - E60 mixes. I am just astounded at the prices of fueling components for this platform in general. It's the biggest obstacle for me at least.

I second you on all of those statements. I thought about the shotgun but it costs a pretty penny and there is not enough data out there for me to give it a shot, maybe if it was 400-500 bucks I would try it.