Technical Shrick Stage 1 Low-Lift cam results

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
We have been testing the Schrick stage 1 cams for a few months now and after a few setbacks and issues not related to cams we have some preliminary results.

These are not the final results as I'm still fighting a random misfire which we think is an injector issue.

This is on Brintech Customs heart breaker dyno.

366 rkw run on stock cams at 27 to 28 psi on e20
372 rkw run on stage 1 cams at 22 to 23 psi on e20

This equates to around 600 to 650 us rwhp

One thing we found if your car has issues running these cams, these will amplify those and your tuner better know what he is doing thanks @V8bait.

Goal was to reach 400rwk but I think the limitation is 93 and will never get there but will keep trying.

The surprising thing is we made the same power or 5 psi less boost which will help the turbos last much longer.

Running a small blend like e40 will help run even less boost whilst retaining the same power output and not sacrificing reliability.

The engine specs.

9.5 to 1 compression
PPM forged rods and pistons
Stock head
Shrick Stage 1 cams
Baffled Sump
Vac Motorsports head studs
Vtt Spline lock v2

Otherwise internally stock with no fancy block work or anything like that.

They reopen the track late September so we should get some trap speeds then but aim is to hit 130mph on e20.

Nothing really special but enough power to break our 2nd gearbox where the 3rd gear just exploded into pieces.

We are going to lower the initial boost and mid range eventually to prolong the life of the gearbox but atm we are not holding back.

The boost is capped initially on spool to stop the car breaking traction as its a major issue.

Why we also installed the cams was to get the car to keep making power to redline whilst the stock ones just taper off.

Once you drive on the babies you will never go back to stock as they just pull so hard from idle and make 20 psi by 2600rpm caped on VTT Gc's 2.0

20200829_142520.jpg

Last edited:

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Nice results! Honestly not surprised. Some would say cams arn't worth it without head work but I personally disagree, sure it would be more pronounced but the benefits are still there. These cams have an increased advertised duration of 23 degrees intake and 7 degrees exhaust, nevermind the benefits of increased lift. That's assuming it's the 268/268 cams. And these durations would still be considered baby cams with other platforms. I was actually thinking of getting the CAT Cams 274/270 myself.
*Edited for cam duration/grammar

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
More confirmation that the Schrick cams are worth consideration. And the -5psi ... that's the ticket. I can't wait to see what these do with a ported head.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
That is exactly what I was hoping for with these cams, my limitation is the gearbox and traction so this was a very
pleasant surprise which will let the twins last a lot longer.

I always said if aftermarket twins last 20k miles we should consider ourselves lucky in the past, seen so many
turbo failures lately its crazy and not restricted to any one supplier.

Most are just weekend cars with not many miles on them but most are the old gen turbos, hopefully these new crop
most suppliers are pushing last longer.

Hopefully these will help with their reliability.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Moniker for level of modification low-lift stage 1, high-lift stage 2, ...

Filippo

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
How about we call things by how they are called ?
Naming aside, great results, i don't regret getting cams for my future build.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
There are no stages anymore. Schrick discontinued the production of the low lift cams.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Didn't know they stopped making the low lift. CAT cams is still around though, they have 4 different offerings I think ?

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
More confirmation that the Schrick cams are worth consideration. And the -5psi ... that's the ticket. I can't wait to see what these do with a ported head.

Filippo
I underscore the -5psi...anything that will help keep engine temps down is a winner for seeing future N54s in road race cars.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Did you notice any rattle sound from the vanos? I remember my old 328i E46 had a disturbing vanos rattle with schrick cams at around 2k rpm. I know the Vanos system changed and is different, just curious if its there.

Btw, V8bait def. knows what he s doing. Great guy and great tuner.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I underscore the -5psi...anything that will help keep engine temps down is a winner for seeing future N54s in road race cars.

The turbos aren't working as hard but you still need the same amount of air and fuel to make the same power just with the
larger lift and longer duration you can do this at a lower boost.

The heat and cylinder pressures are going to be around the same.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Did you notice any rattle sound from the vanos? I remember my old 328i E46 had a disturbing vanos rattle with schrick cams at around 2k rpm. I know the Vanos system changed and is different, just curious if its there.

Btw, V8bait def. knows what he s doing. Great guy and great tuner.

Now that you mention it, I did hear the valve train a little noisier than usual at 2k.

Slowagon54

Corporal
Aug 21, 2020
Yea... it was exactly at 1.800 rpm on cruise. I remember there was an anti rattle kit from Beisan. Not sure if there is one for the N5x Series.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Does anyone know why shrick discontinued the low lift cams ?