Technical Shrick Stage 1 Low-Lift cam results

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Martymil, tried them on a stocker engine as yet to see results? As debated already, the idea of getting power in with less boost and over a broader range has its appeal.
Do you have any final words on whether these cams drop in, without special pistons etc?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I think with stock pistons and rods it wouldn't be a good idea, they are already the biggest and weakest link on our motors.

I would love to see what they could do on stock turbos but I think it would be a waste of money as they run out of puff pretty quickly

Finally found the source of the 2k rpm stumble and random misfire, turned out to be be injector number 2 but still to early to tell.

Time for some boost.

Reactions: doublespaces

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Yes would like to hear the story behind this

There is no big story. When i was at rebuilding my engine i called them as their HQ is only 30 mins away from me. So during the call they stated that they evaluated the selling volume of the two versions. Interesting Fact. They sell mostly all of the cams in the US and there the best selling one is the high lift. So they don´t make really money with the low lift and the business case is non existent.

Adding information:
Schrick said to me that the stock system i.e. Valves + Springs as well as Pistons are fine with the high lift.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Clearance might be fine but stock pistons and rods at 8200 rpm, don't think that's a good idea,

Whilst stock springs and retainers might work, the reliability would be very questionable.

I don't think the stock open deck block would handle those engine speeds either.

I would reserve high lifts for full monty built engines, but that is my observation of past and presently seen engine failures.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
Clearance might be fine but stock pistons and rods at 8200 rpm, don't think that's a good idea,

Whilst stock springs and retainers might work, the reliability would be very questionable.

i don´t think Schrick calculated anything beyond stock RPM rev limit.

Also as far as my research goes the whole valvetrain is over engineered. So if you don´t test it, you don´t know for sure.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
With a stock rpm limit might be ok but the benefits from these are way beyond that.

Its like sticking a GTX 3584rs on a stock motor with a stock exhaust, whilst the benefits are there it will be heavily restricted.

I had a chance to run high lifts as I had my head off for a full strip down, cleaning and inspection and could have easily done
that but common sense prevailed and my gut feeling is usually right.

A low lift is much better suited to an open deck, stock bore block.

The sales are not there as no one has done proper testing before and after with proper results until now.

Hopefully this will change things.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I think with stock pistons and rods it wouldn't be a good idea, they are already the biggest and weakest link on our motors.

Couldn’t disagree more. Always better to make the power out of the motor versus throwing boost at it.

If the cams are as good as you say they are people will be able to make a lot more power and put less stress on the motor. I guess I’ll know soon...

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Same stress on the motor when using bigger cams at lower boost vs smaller cam with bigger boost.

The only things that get stressed less is the turbos.

You need the same volume of air and fuel to make the same hp.

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Good to know high lifts work on stock engine.
Wonder what sort of hrs we are looking at to swap them out in a workshop?

The consideration is mostly the boost to power delivery /power band characteristics and the reduction in boost to achieve the same level of peak power.

On a stock motor , I am happy pushing the current peak power (not chasing more), within the limits of the stock block, so bigger rpm limits and upper power level isn't the goal of the excersise, till I build a motor.
My car is setup best for circuit work and sprints and just happens to run 10s on road tyres in a straight line, so this power delivery side is very attractive for corner exit accelleration etc. To partially make up for my very ordinary driver skills😄

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Running low lifts on stock N54 block and "stock" N53 head.

Have a ~2500 rpm stumble. Part thottle trims are out of whack and had an O2 sensor code so I'm starting with those before doing injectors.

How did you determine yours was the injector Marty?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Exactly what your experiencing

look at your banks stft's and which cylinder has the most timing corrections

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Exactly what your experiencing

look at your banks stft's and which cylinder has the most timing corrections

In my case it's bank 2 stft which look to be running high, no timing corrections though. And afrs are fine.

Interestingly, LPFP appears to be struggling at part throttle too.