Technical Shrick Stage 1 Low-Lift cam results

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I've got a funny feeling this is why Schrick discontinued the low lifts but its only a theory so far.

Once I get these new knock sensors from Tony this will tell if these are causing the issue or not.

The logs look perfect in everyway otherwise.

What exactly are your logs showing Marty?

nyt

Sergeant
Sep 15, 2019
Ride
2010 335xi
I've got a funny feeling this is why Schrick discontinued the low lifts but its only a theory so far.

Once I get these new knock sensors from Tony this will tell if these are causing the issue or not.

The logs look perfect in everyway otherwise.

lol, are you saying their low lift cams are causing your knock events? That's a bit of a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
lol, are you saying their low lift cams are causing your knock events? That's a bit of a stretch.
and vs the high-lift? So low-lift cams cause a knock issue and the high-lift don't? That's why Schrick stopped selling the low-lifts?

Filippo

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
I've got a few things in the works so hopefully we can sort it out as I was hoping to do a club run this weekend.
My built motor was perfect running stock cams with no noise at all, it will be worth the trouble but its going to take time to sort it out.

if it were me, I would listen for knock on a dyno with det cans and try adjust the available knock factor tables until the timing pulls aren't as severe (assuming the det cans confirm no knock).

then i'd drain the tank and fill it with sh8t fuel, run as low a boost as practical on your set up, start out with f'k all timing and pick it up cautiously until the onset of knock (via the det cans) and confirm that the changes made in the tables are still sensitive enough to pull timing for real knock. switch back to the original tables and confirm.

since @V8bait is your tuner, he may have already been through a process like this and so might already know if its worth the effort, or if the existing tables are useless for this purpose.

if your installing alternate knock sensors, i think it is still sensible to get some baseline knock response on sh8t fuel and check that after you replace the existing knock sensors they still work as intended. i cant see how a sensor will differentiate valve train noise from knock if its happening at the same frequency aside from relative amplitudes, which means they are effectively making the sensors less sensitive. @noorj might know better, not my direct field. my 2c.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is not my area of expertise, i have to rely on others for this.

All I can do is what they want me to do or go back to stock.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
What exactly are your logs showing Marty?

Pulling all timing across all cylinders on straight e85 at 21psi with 4deg of timing whilst making
more power than expected and everything in the log is otherwise perfect.

Car runs perfect, engine is extremely quiet, power delivery is silky smooth and pulls like a freight train.

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Have you done a compression test on all cylinders? Did a cylinder need more cranks to achieve a similar value to the other cylinders?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Pulling all timing across all cylinders on straight e85 at 21psi with 4deg of timing whilst making
more power than expected and everything in the log is otherwise perfect.

Car runs perfect, engine is extremely quiet, power delivery is silky smooth and pulls like a freight train.

No timing corrections here with low lifts. 93 pump. Index 11 injectors, 2step NGKs at 0.022", PR coils. And the ported N53 head.

Have new LPFP, O2s going in to try to fix my trims. Only issues I have is throttle oscillation on cold start, 2.5k hesitation, a crashing LPFP and high bank 2 trims.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
I've tuned several cars so far, with both N53 and N54 heads running both Schrick low-lift and high-lift cams, and logs were exemplary as far as corrections go. So drawing from my personal experience I think its safe to say that the Schrick cams DO NOT cause false knock. This is coming from someone who ran 19deg @ redline on a bone stock bottom end on straight 93oct without issue:sunglasses:

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
19 deg on 93 at 10 psi maybe

Not a chance without some kind of octane booster at 20 ÷ psi

Unless you guys have some special blend of fuel the rest of the world has not
Is Australian fuel of poor quality?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Never seen any, not 1 n54 run more than 5 deg on straiggt 93 here its just not possible.

The best ive seen is 8 on a decompressed motor with minor timing pull

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Never seen any, not 1 n54 run more than 5 deg on straiggt 93 here its just not possible.

The best ive seen is 8 on a decompressed motor with minor timing pull
They get a bit more tolerant of timing when the exhaust can actually get out of the chamber completely like with an N53 head

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
They get a bit more tolerant of timing when the exhaust can actually get out of the chamber completely like with an N53 head

I have a 6AT 335xi in Europe running straight 100RON (10% ethanol) gasoline running 13deg @ 21psi. Logs are clean as a whistle. N54 head, low-lift Schricks. 6.20 100-200, pretty impressive considering the additional weight and AWD losses.

Last edited:

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Not on our 98 or the us 93 equivalent , not possible or anywhere else in the world not even on a decompressed motor with a stock n54 head and low lift cams or even stock cams and by the looks of the rpm thats a n53 fully ported head with high lift cams with a mighty light ramp rate.

Dude not saying its not possible in your country but fuel quality varies from country to country and you will never get that here or the USA on straight 93 without
some kind of octane booster without major timing pull

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
That is just not achievable on straight 93

Blanket statements like the above rarely hold water.

Our fuel quality is regular 98RON, nothing fancy and nothing special as you can see from the datalog I posted from @Kimi_N54's car a little earlier, running no more than 7deg @ 24psi on 98RON + meth with some corrections. Different setups have different requirements, you said it was just not achievable on straight 93 and I quickly showed you otherwise. Not being smug about it, but it would serve you well to argue less and pay attention to what I have to say.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Sorry not possible, you can show all the dyno logs you want but not on straight 93 on a stock motor with or without head cams or not.