Sell or keep the 535i N54?

socaln54

Private
Jul 25, 2018
Ride
535i
Car works great but has some waste gate rattle and some very minor leak (OFHG), I don't drive it at all that much since the rattle annoys me and its being sitting in a car cover for 3 months now, I've been looking at turbos but with so many negative reviews from all vendors I don't even know what to buy since I feel I will get screwed :/, this platform is too complicated I should have stayed with my corvette lol, anyways what do you guys think? car is an 08 with 76k miles

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
The lt4 is calling you home. The n54 hits a dead end fast. You can hit mid 10s in the quarter after 20k is invested. Then the cars aging materials will suck out another 10k. Bu that time you will be regretting not getting a zl1 for 40k

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
My 08 535 has 125k miles and have no plans to get rid of it. OFHG leak is a pretty easy fix.

You can try reducing the wastgate rattle in the MHD app before you worry about changing turbos

island road

Corporal
Nov 21, 2016
Boston
Ride
535xiT 2010 M Sport
I have a 2010 535xiT m-sport one of the last on the assembly line. I have this internal debate with myself every other day. I don't care about 1/4 times and doing a ST is just a bit much for the daily that it is although I do like my power and putting a custom exhaust on the wagons can make it sound like a gtr.

The bad: 130k miles, needs new turbos (Smoking).
The Good: Unique to the E61 platform and somewhat desirable being and fully M5 Kittled with OEM parts. All other maintenance is done and performs awesome as a daily.

The best bang for buck screams F80 sell the wagon. I struggle just getting some Pure(now chinesium) twins and ruining it and having a daily 500whp wagon or jumping shiping and going M3. I travel to the slopes every weekend, and in the summer back to the mtns for some downhill biking so its a good workhorse for me that lately has seen a lot of use and gets plenty of thumbs up. Today I am keen to keeping it haha

As for you the E60s are a dime a dozen and the resale value is dropping like no other. Personally I would sell it while it has lower miles and get something that peaks your interest a bit more have it be another BMW or vette. There is no point in keeping a car that you don't drive. On the flip side the OFHG is cake walk for repair if you want a cheap turbo repair just get some low end RBs and call it a day, while your in there throw in some DPs and Stepped VRSF 5 with MHD and enjoy your new found power in the E60 and have fun.

135itp

Private
Dec 6, 2018
Ride
09 135i n54 AT
Sell it. These cars are money pits if you cant do work yourself or dont have a 2nd car. Miles are low were it will still have a decent value.