Road to Single Turbo

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
I'm well aware of aero dynamics, pressure gradients and all... It's the "Aero 101" that explains it... Ive seen the cars (at least 2 examples) and several emails, sent to and from desperate customers, to my Indy tuner / ex BMW engineer, where the loover hoods were the cause of trans overheats... In EVERY situation the loovers being blocked off was the fix... Not saying it applies to every vehicle and every loover hood, but there it is...

The idea is that: yes they do have great flow from hot air under the hood, and it escapes before reaching/thoroughly cooling the trans, again this was on two different newer M cars, M3 and M6, that I saw, in person, and once those cars were fixed, dealers pointed more people with the same problem, to my Indy tech, many via email, where he was able to diagnose and solve issues on several other occasions, (after several dealer trips couldn't figure it out)... They blocked off the bottom side of the loovers, to allow the look without the function, and BAM, trans overheat failsafes gone...

Don't argue with me about it... I'm just passing on info from my Indy tuner tech, who is an ex BMW engineer from DE...

Maybe it is a DCT thing,.. maybe the temp sensor, like the E46 SMG M3, is located too close to the motor on the bell housing, and causes false fail safes from (false) overheat in stop and go traffic... This was not it in this case (stop and go traffic), though, it was recreated by ripping the car around at speed, and again the fix was to block the loovers from the bottom side of the hood... Maybe some extra custom bottom side venting can help... Idk, like I said I'm just passing along what I've seen first hand, not heard from some hack mechanic... I've seen the cars, and the emails, regarding the ongoing problem, and the fix, and the Ecstatically happy customers once their problem was finally Fixed...

I'm not poking holes in singles setup from hearsay, I'm just passing first hand info from real techs and engineers such that it may help single with his build, and possibly save some future headache...

The loovers were changing the pressure gtadient too early in the flow, enough to cause, at least the computers to "think", trans was over-temp... I'm talking to this tech tomorow and I can get a more complete explanation if u like...

Last edited:

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I'm well aware of aero dynamics, pressure gradients and all... It's the "Aero 101" that explains it... Ive seen the cars (at least 2 examples) and several emails, sent to and from desperate customers, to my Indy tuner / ex BMW engineer, where the loover hoods were the cause of trans overheats... In EVERY situation the loovers being blocked off was the fix... Not saying it applies to every vehicle and every loover hood, but there it is...

The idea is that: yes they do have great flow from hot air under the hood, and it escapes before reaching/thoroughly cooling the trans, again this was on two different newer M cars, M3 and M6, that I saw, in person, and once those cars were fixed, dealers pointed more people with the same problem, to my Indy tech, many via email, where he was able to diagnose and solve issues on several other occasions, (after several dealer trips couldn't figure it out)... They blocked off the bottom side of the loovers, to allow the look without the function, and BAM, trans overheat failsafes gone...

Don't argue with me about it... I'm just passing on info from my Indy tuner tech, who is an ex BMW engineer from DE...

Maybe it is a DCT thing,.. maybe the temp sensor, like the E46 SMG M3, is located too close to the motor on the bell housing, and causes false fail safes from (false) overheat in stop and go traffic... This was not it in this case (stop and go traffic), though, it was recreated by ripping the car around at speed, and again the fix was to block the loovers from the bottom side of the hood... Maybe some extra custom bottom side venting can help... Idk, like I said I'm just passing along what I've seen first hand, not heard from some hack mechanic... I've seen the cars, and the emails, regarding the ongoing problem, and the fix, and the Ecstatically happy customers once their problem was finally Fixed...

I'm not poking holes in singles setup from hearsay, I'm just passing first hand info from real techs and engineers such that it may help single with his build, and possibly save some future headache...

The loovers were changing the pressure gtadient too early in the flow, enough to cause, at least the computers to "think", trans was over-temp... I'm talking to this tech tomorow and I can get a more complete explanation if u like...

Ah I got ya. I'd bet you're correct that the sensor expects a certain temp using an over complicated ambient temp + speed and triggers when it's deviated.
I wasn't implying your anecdote was a lie.

SingleTurboE92

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
Aubrey, Texas
Got the rest of the top end of the motor buttoned up today. Started on installing the front sway bar and end links tonight. Then this weekend dropping the rear subframe.
IMG_4999.JPGIMG_4996.JPGIMG_4992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

SingleTurboE92

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
Aubrey, Texas
I have not turned it over yet. I have to finish install on the oil and transmission cooler before putting in fluids. It is going to be a new car. Every suspension piece on the car is new plus the single turbo build.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Who's doing your tuning? Or just piggy?
That's a project itself but with guys like CK and JakeY spearheading + new competent tuners popping up recently it'll be a lot easier then it was as recently as a few months ago.

Fingers crossed for ya man. A lot of shit changed at once makes for a headache troubleshooting but looks like you know what you're doing. :cool:

Reactions: ATL-IS-N54

SingleTurboE92

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
Aubrey, Texas
I got a pretty good guy for tuning. Probably one of the best. It is a lot at once and I'm sure the troubleshooting is going to be a pain. I feel like I know every nut and bolt on this car now...lol

Reactions: ATL-IS-N54

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Nice build. I hate how ghetto the louvers look just being bolted on like that, but it's your car.

SingleTurboE92

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
Aubrey, Texas
Thanks, They look much different in person. I have to repaint the hood so im going to have them molded in and the hood repainted. This will probably be mid to late next year. My priorities are all function right now. I will make it look good later :)

Reactions: Idahospool

SingleTurboE92

Corporal
Nov 2, 2016
Aubrey, Texas
I used the improved racing 165 degree thermostat. I capped off the coolant lines and deleted the heat exchanger. I live in Atlanta and don't drive my car in colder weather months. (Summer tires) never thought about the wastegate option. Not sure if that would help with temps or not.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
The Tials I have include a water port inlet/outlet. Overkill unless I plan on hitting a 24 hour road course but that capped coolant line is begging to serve a purpose.