Remote Turbo Setup

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
A197F364-3CBA-4FF1-B3C7-3585BA131A2D.png
ive seen so many different kits and threads on ST projects wether it’s from vendors or DIYers that have had so many issues with heat, tight spaces, and poor fitment. Happened across a page talking about remote turbo systems and functionality/ benefits of that setup. I remember about 10 years ago or so there was STS turbos which were putting them on vettes, camaros, 350z and such. I’m wondering why I have never seen anyone trying this on our platform. We have a monstrous area under trunk to put a nice size single and such. Kinda looking for a discussion on possibilities. Anyone? Could be a new path to go on with better heat dissipation and longevity for everything under the hood.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
It is a good question but wouldn't running a pipe back to the engine bay be the issue given you would have to run a fairly big single exhaust pipe to the back already? I don't know enough about these setups so I'm only speculating.

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
I would think one 6-2-1 header in place of the turbos and dual downpipes wouldnt really be an issue, and VRSF and Cobb have 3.5” DP back setup. Just instead of a muffler a nice BB or JB turbo in its place. Single wastegate no need for a monster IC anymore. Could probably weld fins to the piping going all the way back into engine bay to IM. Run some oil feeds and maybe water lines for cooling.
Another question now would be if any headers for non turbo siblings will fit n54 or would it have to be fabed up

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Remote turbo setups have a lot of lag. You want the piping to the turbo and from the turbo to be as short, direct, and straight as possible.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
Remote turbo setups have a lot of lag. You want the piping to the turbo and from the turbo to be as short, direct, and straight as possible.
Well as far as that goes, you probably could run a small turbo up front and the bigger turbo in the rear. I think the question would be more on the lines if you could get everything to fit. Obliviously it wouldn't be a cheap setup but would be interesting to see.

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
I’m curious if by doing a turbo setup outside of the engine bay would if it will help with heat accumulation and the longevity of some of the external parts of the car as well as dealing with the tight and cramped space available. From the stuff I’ve read recently it would seem to be a less expensive option and has many benefits in the areas above. I’m not saying to cheap out and buy eBay crap to put it together. What if a quality build could be made for far less. Fact is we mainly are paying for precisely fabricated hot parts. Roughly 1500-2000 from what I’ve seen online for the good kits and 800-1200 for the crap 50/50 shots. Plus all the small odds and ends that have to put together to finish it. To get quality most people are spending 4-8k range? If you could do it for less and get the advantage of easy installation, less heat, and budget build without the sacrifice of reliability it would be a win.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I’m curious if by doing a turbo setup outside of the engine bay would if it will help with heat accumulation and the longevity of some of the external parts of the car as well as dealing with the tight and cramped space available. From the stuff I’ve read recently it would seem to be a less expensive option and has many benefits in the areas above. I’m not saying to cheap out and buy eBay crap to put it together. What if a quality build could be made for far less. Fact is we mainly are paying for precisely fabricated hot parts. Roughly 1500-2000 from what I’ve seen online for the good kits and 800-1200 for the crap 50/50 shots. Plus all the small odds and ends that have to put together to finish it. To get quality most people are spending 4-8k range? If you could do it for less and get the advantage of easy installation, less heat, and budget build without the sacrifice of reliability it would be a win.
Not gonna be less expensive at same quality. You're adding an exhaust, way more charge piping, and shifting the complexity from the engine bay to pipe routing under the car...all while adding lag and moving the heat from an engine bay to right behind your fuel tank.

If you want something inexpensive, buy a known good used kit.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
This is a good option for a car with limited engine bay space, like Gen1 CTS-V. For a 335i, doesn't make much sense.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I had a look at rear mount turbos before I fitted my GCs. Lag actually doesn't seem to be an issue.
The rear mount option seems quite popular with some people.
The part I liked about it was having all that air flow for cooling back there and hanging some more weight over the back wheels. Plus very easy to change a dud turbo without it being buried in the engine bay.

Yes you have the additional piping and you need to get oil flow back there. You also have much more time for charge cooling though.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Getting oil there isn't much a problem since the feed has pressure. I don't like the use of scavenge pumps to get the return line back to the crankcase.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This has always been an option for some cars, but only if there was no other way. The annoyance of pulling the subframe to service a bottom mount was never enough to sacrifice the day to day inferiority this setup brings.

I love creative ideas however. I say you do it and I'll watch :)

Reactions: PUTC

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
Lol. I’m not a fabricator nor do I have the parts. I have lots of thoughts about stuff but no means to actually do anything right now. I like to plot and plan for a while, research and then research some more. Maybe over the next year I’ll try to grab some parts for the project and see what can be done. I have a few buddies I might be able to get stuff from and another that’s a competent welder. Would have to have a 2nd car to tool around in though before I can even try. Maybe some day I’ll contribute something real to this platform besides, “oh shit, something else is broke” threads

Reactions: doublespaces

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
Does anyone know if a non turbo header will bolt up to an n54 block? Would make things easier for sure

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Running new exhaust kills the value here I think. Maybe run a header to the stock cat back, then just fab the dual pipes to a turbo, or run twins :).

Lots of people with these also ensure they run a light of some sort in case of scavenge pump failure, as it's a critical component. Also, the turbo sizing for a rear mount is kind of different - if I recall, it's usually a smaller turbine A/R to make up for the long piping, but they still hit peak torque fairly late. With all of the options available, this seems like a great thing to be different, but not a value proposition.

Reactions: PUTC

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
That’s not a bad idea. Find some blown stockers and chop off the turbo. Run some pipe to the mid pipes and connect a t3/t4 flange to it. Waste gate, scavenge pump, cheap IC piping kit on eBay. Talking maybe 1500 for it all with an inexpensive turbo. Maybe 2500-3000 doing it correctly. Not saying this would be best route, just always thought it was a cool idea.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Outside of the lag the setup has another flaw. The turbo inlets will soak up water if you ever run into flooding problems. There are times where I've come across them unexpectedly and I couldn't imagine an air filter that low sucking in water from a 1ft flood. Even worse if you lower you car.

• Agree
Reactions: The Convert

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
.....part out. That would be bad. Not many good options either to change that