Remote Turbo Setup

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I was told once that exhaust pulses travel at the speed of sound and that setups like this aren’t that laggy at all. As for the flooding - yeah that’s true but the advantages are there. Just be careful when its wet i spose?

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
It's not feasible on a small displacement engine were it lacks torque. The v8 cars use there cid to get them off the line to build boost, this is were the remote kits are useful. The v6 cars have enough room to hang them off there manifolds, the mustang has a popular kit that make stupid power were there using a twin kit. All these inline engines have room up front, so why create hassle when companys already have a kit on the shelf. I looked into this with a n52 car to use in place of hat horrific muffler, I was afraid after it was all done, the power by the time it builds boost, would be in the higher rpms. I'm sure you could get 5-8 psi out of it.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
yNlQWRM.jpg

This.

On this platform it makes ZERO sense.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
why not? Major downsides. This is a small displacement engine and we rely on turbo response to make power. In order to fix the lag you'd have to increase complexity. Why bother, just run a huge top mount or wait for twin top mounts and modify the hood if you really want to dick around with big power. That said, a huge turbo isn't even really need.

huge exhaust travel increases lag and weight and price. And you lose trunk space.

so... Huge expensive heavy laggy kit and lose functionality of the car.

This would work great if we had a high displacement V6 or V8 already making decent power alone.

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
That makes s lot of sense with the displacement scenario. I’ve read that lag really isn’t an issue but most of what I’ve read has been on v8s and such. I myself am not looking to go through the trouble or expense for huge numbers. I.e. trans, built motor and such. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought and conclusions were. Would be cool to experiment with it anyways, see what would happen and how it would operate performance wise. This setup obviously is more geared to a NA motor originally being changed to FI.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
That makes s lot of sense with the displacement scenario. I’ve read that lag really isn’t an issue but most of what I’ve read has been on v8s and such. I myself am not looking to go through the trouble or expense for huge numbers. I.e. trans, built motor and such. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought and conclusions were. Would be cool to experiment with it anyways, see what would happen and how it would operate performance wise. This setup obviously is more geared to a NA motor originally being changed to FI.

Go make a kit for the N52 that is less than the POS ESS supercharger kit and make $$$.

• Agree
Reactions: The Banshee

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
This thread is surpassing my expectations. I figured it would die after just a few responses.
Agreed, I live in a house of women and work a lot. I’m enjoying just the conversation end of this to no end. I think it’s working more because it’s just ideas and no one is really trying to do anything. Just opinions and hypothetical

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Has the electric turbocharger tech advanced any? I could see an inline electric turbo off a CAI do well for the N52.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Has the electric turbocharger tech advanced any? I could see an inline electric turbo off a CAI do well for the N52.

Pipe dream currently.

Best use of an electric motor would be to spin up a turbo to reduce lag, add in variable vane turbos and boom: no lag and you get to use a larger turbo. Probably not reliable though.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Electric assist is a real thing, but it requires a 48v electrical system. The problem, is the technology is a dead end. Although it will be an advancement to our current path, all-electric vehicles are too disruptive for it to exist for very long, if it ever sees the light of day.

You can think of electrically assisted turbo chargers like the LS120 floppy drive. 120mb on a 3.5" floppy disk and backwards compatible with the 1.44mb diskette? Badass.. Oh wait, here comes Compact Disc.
10fig18.jpg

FredHarwood

Lurker
Apr 26, 2018
UK
Ride
335i N54 2006
Isn't there an electric turbo for the gt86/Brz? I've seen a few videos online seams to make a couple psi of boost, making around an extra 30-40hp o_O
DSCF1006.jpg

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Go make a kit for the N52 that is less than the POS ESS supercharger kit and make $$$.
I've been contemplating his for some time, as one could do this unlike what Bpc done. Really suprised this isn't done yet, although the block may be in question, a 400hp kit would be perfect for this engine.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Isn't there an electric turbo for the gt86/Brz? I've seen a few videos online seams to make a couple psi of boost, making around an extra 30-40hp o_O

Well, you notice it says 24v. What is really needed is a 48v system like most hybrid cars use. This would be something worth putting on.

Nick6

Mar 21, 2018
Ride
'07 335i
I think lag has generally made this a nonoption on most cars, out side of large displacement engines.

Jpotter

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
2007 335i
I know alot of muscle car guys here run rear mount turbos with no issues. Just the other day a srt challenger bad some rear mounted twin 6266. He was going to do a dyno pull but i left before he actually finished. Not sure why the e9x would be any different just need to find someone willing to make something.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I've been contemplating his for some time, as one could do this unlike what Bpc done. Really suprised this isn't done yet, although the block may be in question, a 400hp kit would be perfect for this engine.

BPC's kit isn't available yet is it? IIRC you have to remove the AC or something that most people want in their car.

You should go make the kit!

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I know alot of muscle car guys here run rear mount turbos with no issues. Just the other day a srt challenger bad some rear mounted twin 6266. He was going to do a dyno pull but i left before he actually finished. Not sure why the e9x would be any different just need to find someone willing to make something.

Displacement.

Muscle car guys with 2x+ the displacement is why it works.

There also is no reason to do it on this platform.