Remote Turbo Setup

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Electric assist is a real thing, but it requires a 48v electrical system. The problem, is the technology is a dead end. Although it will be an advancement to our current path, all-electric vehicles are too disruptive for it to exist for very long, if it ever sees the light of day.

You can think of electrically assisted turbo chargers like the LS120 floppy drive. 120mb on a 3.5" floppy disk and backwards compatible with the 1.44mb diskette? Badass.. Oh wait, here comes Compact Disc.
View attachment 11447

What's funny is, when you consider that even the LS120's replacement, recordable CD, then DVD-R, while both overwhelmingly successful, they have both been supplanted by a different technology altogether, flash storage. I think we will see the same thing happen with electrics. They will be around for a while, and be supplanted by something we likely can't even imagine yet. Think back just 10 years ago - did you think you'd be able to have 400+ GB on something the size of your pinky fingernail? I know I didn't. Hell, I thought I'd be burning blu-rays or something.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What's funny is, when you consider that even the LS120's replacement, recordable CD, then DVD-R, while both overwhelmingly successful, they have both been supplanted by a different technology altogether, flash storage. I think we will see the same thing happen with electrics. They will be around for a while, and be supplanted by something we likely can't even imagine yet. Think back just 10 years ago - did you think you'd be able to have 400+ GB on something the size of your pinky fingernail? I know I didn't. Hell, I thought I'd be burning blu-rays or something.

I absolutely agree. I think a lot of people underestimate how lucky we are to live in this age. Things have always changed, but the generations alive today have seen and grown up with massive change in how the world works thanks to our continued mastery of energy. Nuclear fussion, AI and quantum technology are things we can barely comprehend now, not to mention what possibilities they bring .

• Love
Reactions: Jpotter

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I absolutely agree. I think a lot of people underestimate how lucky we are to live in this age. Things have always changed, but the generations alive today have seen and grown up with massive change in how the world works thanks to our continued mastery of energy. Nuclear fussion, AI and quantum technology are things we can barely comprehend now, not to mention what possibilities they bring .

You talking about sex robots aren't you ;)

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

1918x8.jpg

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
No way this thread would be so civil in any other forum. After PUTC was called an idiot in the first response everyone else would LOL and move on to the next eArgument.

Note: PUTC <> Idiot

PUTC

Corporal
Oct 14, 2017
Ride
08 335xi
Thank you NoQuarter. This has been a decent discussion which I hoped it would be. I appreciate all the feedback given

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Need a mobile app brah! Notifications Brah!

Did you see the video @doublespaces posted last summer showing his phone blowing up (continuously) from all the alerts he gets already? It was like a 3min long clip of his phone constantly vibrating and going "ding" and almost walking itself off his desk.

I don't think he has a lot of motivation to add more notifications hahaahah.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Did you see the video @doublespaces posted last summer showing his phone blowing up (continuously) from all the alerts he gets already? It was like a 3min long clip of his phone constantly vibrating and going "ding" and almost walking itself off his desk.

I don't think he has a lot of motivation to add more notifications hahaahah.
That’s his problem...

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I have a mobile app but it is written in nativescript, work I must outsource. I am at a cross roads where I must consider my future investment required to continue developing/updating it compared to starting over (mostly) from scratch and doing it the way I actually want, using a language where I can maintain it to a certain degree myself. The app will certainly cut down on email notifications, and increase activity. Here is a look at the alert preferences:

upload_2018-5-24_23-22-41.png

This has been in place for some time, testing it on the side. I just have too many irons in the fire right now to polish it. The board is prepping to have a major update which will require recoding a lot of the mobile code base anyway, so any work done right now is mostly wasted.

Reactions: FredHarwood