Remote Start

BrettJP

Private
May 30, 2017
Ride
08 335xi e92
Is anybody here using an aftermarket remote start system? I know that proper care for a turboed car includes always letting the engine and fluids warm up. However, I OFTEN don't have that luxury. And even if our cars came stock with a remote start system, I'm too far from the parking lot for the stock ones I've seen or used in the past.

For those of you who do use a remote start system, what do you use? What's the range like? How was installation? Are there any problems with it?

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Damn that compustar one looks pretty nice, but reading the comments it looks like its $1600 and takes 5 hours to install. That's a lot of money for that kind of comfort.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
IdataLink ADS-BM1 is a plug and play remote start for 2005-2013 E9X and most other E chassis. It comes with a direct plug in harness, works with the factory key fob or supplied fobs and you can plug in a drone mobile DR3100 and use that phone app. They are about $500 plus a data link cable to program their module. You’ll be in the $600 range with Drone Mobile.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
IdataLink ADS-BM1 is a plug and play remote start for 2005-2013 E9X and most other E chassis. It comes with a direct plug in harness, works with the factory key fob or supplied fobs and you can plug in a drone mobile DR3100 and use that phone app. They are about $500 plus a data link cable to program their module. You’ll be in the $600 range with Drone Mobile.
You can do it in 30-60 minutes depending on how quickly you get though the module programming part.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
This thread hurts. I just don't know how we did it back when men had clutch pedals.

Anyways.

First, warming up these cars, or any turbo car, or any car, or any internal combustion engine period, is not good for it. In fact the opposite is true.

You should start the car, and upon idle settle immediately throw it into gear and start driving, talking extreme care to limit RPM. All of this after you grow a pair and swap a 6MT.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
This thread hurts. I just don't know how we did it back when men had clutch pedals.

Anyways.

First, warming up these cars, or any turbo car, or any car, or any internal combustion engine period, is not good for it. In fact the opposite is true.

You should start the car, and upon idle settle immediately throw it into gear and start driving, talking extreme care to limit RPM. All of this after you grow a pair and swap a 6MT.

you ever have anything helpful to say...

plus depending on the setup, for example single turbo setup with a oil cooled turbo w/ journal bearing, a warmup period might actually be quite helpful.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Well if you'd bothered to read the reply, you'd see I was helpful, as I explained warmups are actually bad for every internal combustion engine ever.

No, you're wrong. The setup is absolutely irrelevant, I don't care how many or how few turbochargers he has. If it's an oil lubricated internal combustion engine, idling warmups are actually the most wear inducing and therefore the most damaging thing you can do to it.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Well if you'd bothered to read the reply, you'd see I was helpful, as I explained warmups are actually bad for every internal combustion engine ever.

No, you're wrong. The setup is absolutely irrelevant, I don't care how many or how few turbochargers he has. If it's an oil lubricated internal combustion engine, idling warmups are actually the most wear inducing and therefore the most damaging thing you can do to it.

it actually is very setup dependent. idling or keeping the thing running at low rpm are just reducing the load on the bearings of the engine. whether it is good or not, it all depends on how much oil pressure the engine can generate at idle. and n54 has no problem reaching full oil pressure within a few seconds of startup.

even if it isn't the case, maybe some people just want a warm car waiting for them in the winter...

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Reducing the load on the engine is the problem. That's not a good thing with cold oil, no matter the pressure.

Hey look, the Earth is actually round. They've, like, proven this.

His original post mentioned the purpose for him was engine protection. In which case he should not do this. And if this is so the snowflake won't be cold, well that certainly explains why he doesn't want one of those pesky clutch pedals that are so hard to push down.

slow_henry

Private
Apr 6, 2017
nj
Ride
335i
well some of use don't plan warming up the car idling for 5-10min and plus if you have your kid and want to take him/her on a 10 degree weather you just can aspect a 6year old to wait until the car warms up while driving, for the past 3 weeks in jersey been between 10-20° weather 24/7

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
While I've been taught to not idle my car as well, my Volt doesn't have any of these problems. The air is hot within a couple minutes of turning the car on. Thought I'd throw that out there.

As a side note, I can set the engine to turn on, and it runs at the same RPM if I'm parked or driving slowly down the road since its just an generator, so this rule doesn't apply to it either. It has an oil lubricated internal combustion engine.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Not quite @doublespaces, the rule still applies, there's just nothing you can do about it. Since it's just a generator, I assume there's a load on it immediately, which is a big leap forward too.

While I said drive it immediately, extreme care should be taken to limit RPM. I don't let mine go over 2,000 until oil temp is off the peg.

For being an aluminum block, water cooled turbo(s), and so much use of plastic, I'm quite surprised how long it takes the N5X to come up to temp (Water or oil). It takes significantly longer than it should just to get the heater warm. Not to say it's that long, your little snowflake children certainly won't die in those 6 minutes.

I've got a 2002 SS Camaro, so similar engine materials (Aluminum with heavy plastic use). That car's water (So heater) warms up faster than any car I've ever been in. I'm not even out of my neighborhood before the heater is full blast and warm. Now large displacement has a lot to do with this of course, but that can't be everything, especially when the fuel mileage is not far off from my 335, they're about the same there. Plus the 335 is water cooled turbo, which should be a huge step in quicker warm ups.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The good news is my car is parked outside engine off with the heater on. It's about to be toasty when I get in to take my kid to school.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Ya but you also have to drive a volt lol.
200 yards to his school and back in the morning and night? My other cars weren't even warm by the time I was home, I love it. I can floor it the moment I step foot in the car while you're tip toeing around, babysitting your car from breaking itself.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
200 yards to his school and back in the morning and night? My other cars weren't even warm by the time I was home, I love it. I can floor it the moment I step foot in the car while you're tip toeing around, babysitting your car from breaking itself.
Have you seen the Porsche mission e? If it comes out looking like the concept, I just may be going electric.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Have you seen the Porsche mission e? If it comes out looking like the concept, I just may be going electric.
Yes sir. I've reported a couple news articles on that car actually. It's ahead of its time tho tbh. I wouldn't spend any significant money on an electric car right now. The strides this tech is taking are just too big for me to not feel out dated in 12 months. When you turn your car into a computer, you're fighting Moore's law all of a sudden.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Yes sir. I've reported a couple news articles on that car actually. It's ahead of its time tho tbh. I wouldn't spend any significant money on an electric car right now. The strides this tech is taking are just too big for me to not feel out dated in 12 months. When you turn your car into a computer, you're fighting Moore's law all of a sudden.
Lease bruh. Lol

Reactions: doublespaces