Reboot Engineering F80 Rear Seat Adapter Kit Install

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Ever since I had seen AdamJ39’s thread on installing F80 seats into an E90, I knew I was going to do it. I did eventually find a set of front and rear F80 seats (Competition too!) and went about installing them.

There is a separate thread covering the install of the fronts here:

https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/f80-m3-competition-seats-in-pre-lci-e90-335-front-and-rear.6881/

The rears, while a close fit, needed an engineering touch to allow proper fitment and function. The F series is just a bit wider than the E series, thus not allowing for the stock mount points to be used with the seats OEM mounting hardware.

Luckily Adam from Reboot Engineering has developed the perfect solution!

I received the kit quickly after placing the order. It was packaged very nicely and ready for retailing.

RmGu3I2yU4GTFkxVZxLYoYDouPR6Ic-SJac-I7YUzGaRLnh3i0.png

There are 5 “pieces” or assemblies to the kit:

Left seat back bracket (marked LH)
Right seat back bracket (marked RH)
Center support bracket (marked with direction)
Left trim adapter (marked LH)
Right trim adapter (marked RH)

To install, the center support bracket needs to be installed first, but be sure to keep it loose!, it will be tightened later. If you are retrofitting F80 rear seats into a fold down E90, you will need to remove the OEM bracket and use the new one. If you are retrofitting to non-fold down E90, you’ll need to purchase the bolts, but the chassis bracket is already in place.

odfNa7z4pBB3-c4Bua7XJaemJJHvnbdJ4LwTC8IQUUuCkUOKqT.png

2. On the driver’s side seat back, remove the OEM bracket and screw.
DJpbjHhAoPjZ7qHBOUqKMtrxj8KETL7SyhadwFvfNiAw3yoq1P.png

3. Insert the axle from the driver’s seat back thru the center support bracket:
PODRxB8n7Otfom6RLU1bwHZW-TVCfISXtcnbIXPvfeUTtrvHGs.png

4. Using the bracket labeled LH, capture the seat bolt assembly with the extruded sleeve portion of the adapter bracket and then bolt the adapter into the chassis in the OEM mount point.
EgRXgo9aUVknjwcu-7M0lyLJX6U-bme0SrjOMJqyPJXuMtfUF7.png

5. Now tighten the Center support bracket as the driver’s side is installed. You may need to fiddle with positioning as it’s a tight fit - but make sure the latch engages and disengages.

6. The passenger seat back should be easier as everything should be aligned. Slide it over the axle of the driver’s side seat and then capture the mount point with the adapter bracket and bolt to the chassis just as the driver’s side was.
vRNqfiWWc5nOxCfZFonSkQiVKLV19362DAGcEeMJ0oSwbuU6RD.png

7. For the trim pieces, at first it looks confusing, but it’s a quite elegant and simple to install solution. Remove the plastic clip from the top metal retainers on the trim piece. (Driver’s side.)
VEXsjvzaIpGLq_a5xJ0kAZCXX1sQnoqbTBG9nGbzpIynxdgw5L.png

8. I thought I had photographed the adapter installed, but can’t find it. There is a single screw that holds the new clip in place, and the pieces are machined for perfect fitment.

7MZZvnVh5X5C8gKE-rWwT9LUTgU8YKbqy3udF9EYc5rnZZPAUv.png

The sides of this bracket have threaded holes that allow the screws to hold the trim piece to the next bracket.

9. The bracket has a nut capture that needs to be inserted into the stock clip hole.
jt0d9qiZ3OOAJpsDcQCd89Abr9fpXVoQoAVHzQFVwtQ-oMwaUl.png

p6BWZ8IYHuITMm5ASYbo8UORaLpH6SIvRn8WTz_U6O_VB2apDp.png

When installing it, Make sure that the bracket is closer to the center of the car rather than the door.

BX2WAaVNlzRXG7W9DVA0LdZkgroRsCCJcaMFx88TvvCgyeCUKj.png

When installing the trim bolsters, the OEM chassis capture is used, a new capture on the adapter bracket, and the upper bracket just assembled.
_HH-g21sGdbK7kdi0dURDVuA7GyVc4PBvNKVYYvK4Uf3yqRuel.png

1n7dAxU1ZFqJLT_m6xk0peMsGc0kzcEDsMhNFMF5nwtm72RwZ2.png

Inserting the trim panel into the bottom captures will let it line up with the new bracket. You might need to adjust it up or down a tad before all the holes line up, but it fits very well.

O9qd4U5Gv3ZoS8-BjzJbZCLc0UuDuigtD1XLVa1isjd6vCoh8r.png

Fold up the rear seats, and snap in the bottom. All done!

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Doh - I have one, but it's not a good one. I'll get it updated today. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: NoGuru

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Thank you for posting this! I’ve had the front f80 seats in my car for over a year now but the rear seats have just been sitting in my closet. I saw there was a guy on the other forum who made some mounts to make them work but when I offered to buy them he never got back to me.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Thank you for posting this! I’ve had the front f80 seats in my car for over a year now but the rear seats have just been sitting in my closet. I saw there was a guy on the other forum who made some mounts to make them work but when I offered to buy them he never got back to me.

Haha, I pestered him quite bit and he finally got some built and for sale. The kit is WELL worth the money, it's amazing how well engineered it is. He does say though that it can take some effort to have them latch, and that's true, but it's because the seats are just ever so slightly wider than the E90 chassis ones. I don't ever fold down my rear seats (likely because I didn't have folddown seats before) so once they are in place, it was fine.

I was too lazy to even pull the seatbelt buckles thru the seat bottom lol. No one ever sits in the back!

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Haha, I pestered him quite bit and he finally got some built and for sale. The kit is WELL worth the money, it's amazing how well engineered it is. He does say though that it can take some effort to have them latch, and that's true, but it's because the seats are just ever so slightly wider than the E90 chassis ones. I don't ever fold down my rear seats (likely because I didn't have folddown seats before) so once they are in place, it was fine.

I was too lazy to even pull the seatbelt buckles thru the seat bottom lol. No one ever sits in the back!

i purchased them right away. I also don’t have fold down seats so it’s not an issue for me. I already have my fuel system sorted so once the seats are in I won’t have to mess with anything.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Since you don't have fold down seats, you will need to get the fold down seat clamps and release mechanism ( I presume. You might be able to use the stock captures and just never let it fold down, but it will definitely make positioning it a royal pain while installing).