E9X RacingDiffs LSD Conversion Group Buy!

Krazi3azn

Private
Nov 7, 2016
Canada
Found these guys when looking for parts for my E39 daily. The company is called Racing Diffs, they make an interesting product so I decided to dig deeper. If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this type of product please share! I also contacted the CEO about a potential group buy.

This is the product
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bmw-E46-E39...ash=item3d4f228b8b:g:clEAAOSwRTVaa1l4&vxp=mtr

They compare it to an inferior product called "Phantom Grip". After reading this review it seems they make a superior product without the flaws.
https://mycomputerninja.com/?p=440

Heres some more videos about it. One comment says budget bimmers maybe making a DIY video

Group Buy!
So contacted Luka Popovic. He sent me a picture which I attached to show how it looks installed in our type of differential. Said it works for both bolted and welded diffs but welded is a bit more work. Group buy prices are "If you get more than 3, we can give you $270, more than 6 - $250, more than 9 - $230 including shipping"

Let me know your feedback!

1. Krazi3azn

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,061
Last edited:
Reactions: boostE92d

John@DBV2

Sergeant
Jan 23, 2017
I am thouroughly confused here, so these just insert directly into a welded 135i differential? Turning it into an LSD? I don’t understand what it is.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So, you get an improved phantom grip and save about six hundred dollars. Seems like a lot of work to disassemble your differential for that. Truth be told, an LSD only does so much for your car.

I am thouroughly confused here, so these just insert directly into a welded 135i differential? Turning it into an LSD? I don’t understand what it is.

Nah, you'd probably only do this if you had a bolted diff otherwise you're already spending a lot of money. This is for people who want a cheap way to put two black lines on the asphalt, I doubt it has much road course application like a helical or clutch LSD. I'm not really even so sure how much my LSD helps me in terms of traction, I'm sure it helps. But my car just floats to the side instead of burning a tire up.

If I was on a budget... I'd probably try it. Phantom grip used to work okay. if this works better, then its probably not bad, if I wanted to do all that labor just for this. But for a few hundred more you can get a real helical LSD that will work a lot better, particularly in the long term.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I saw this on ebay the other day and went to their Facebook page to ask about power limits. A phantom grip is one thing in a FWD Honda making 110 lb-ft, but a 600whp RWD BMW is another. If the welded diff requires machining then it's not much of a savings, but on a bolted diff, it might be worth a shot at least. There's been cases of all the bolts falling out of an aftermarket diff, so every item has its potential for issues. If this really works at this price level, it's pretty neat.

boostE92d

Corporal
Jan 9, 2018
Houston TX
Ride
12 335is
I remember phantom grip working decent on swapped civics, back in the day. If this is supposed to be better, it's interesting. Definitely not sure about throwing 500 to 600 ft.lbs. at one though.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
@doublespaces, Curious as to why you said you'd be spending a lot of money if you have a welded diff. Isn't it just the ring gear that's welded? The picture posted looks like it's a welded diff. I'm curious to know if this requires having the ring gear machined to install it. I also never got a reply from their FB page regarding power limits. It it's only good for something like a 328, it's pretty much a waste for any 335, let alone a modded one.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@doublespaces, Curious as to why you said you'd be spending a lot of money if you have a welded diff. Isn't it just the ring gear that's welded? The picture posted looks like it's a welded diff. I'm curious to know if this requires having the ring gear machined to install it. I also never got a reply from their FB page regarding power limits. It it's only good for something like a 328, it's pretty much a waste for any 335, let alone a modded one.
I did not even look but if they are able to insert this thing with a welded ring gear in place then I suppose it won't make a difference if it's welded or not.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Looking at their FB page, I think the ring gear has to come off and then be rewelded. Boo. For that much effort, like you said - you're close enough to an LSD you might as well.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
They confirmed - if you have a welded diff it will have to be machined off and then welded back on after installing this. As @doublespaces said, you might as well just get a real LSD at that point.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces