matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So, it's been almost a year since I got the PD unit and installed xHP...over all the PD unit shifts smooth on the PD stock flash but does jerk/lurch and hesitate when using Stage 3 xHP. Clemens said it was due to power levels but mine was the first with any issue with PD and xHP. I been trying to solve this issue with no success for almost a year. Engine wise, it has been replaced with a new one since 80K miles and currently is at 110K, I have also replaced all replaceable from injectors to BL coils to intake manifolds and charge pipes etc... Still no luck. Clemens tried to solve it but ended up saying I am stuck with the PD stock flash so no xHP for me.

However, I do want to know if anyone has tried the custom shift points and if you have tried...what is the criteria or recommendations that you use to set those custom points? Perhaps I could give it a try.

WHP is around 440. Tq is around 670Nm.
It always goes apeshit when I do WOT. as if it were confused and lost on when to shift. It's really annoying.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

VT

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Id be pretty upset, i was specifically told that they are designed to work together and prepaid in full to lock in price based on compatibility and assurance their wereno updates or issues found that needed a new revision, I'm no where near ready to send my unit out so i wanted to make sure i wasn't going to find out that new improved kit was around corner. Have you tried getting a custom xhp tune and or diff versions of xhp? Also have you contacted jason or eurotrans to trouble shoot

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Everything I've heard and seen is that Jason is stand up and that the pd kits have had great results.
I hope I'm right lol

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. Hmmm. I wasntwaaware this was an issue, have you heard of other people experiencing this problem as well with the PD?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. Hmmm. I wasntwaaware this was an issue, have you heard of other people experiencing this problem as well with the PD?

I don't know if it's a PD issue or a tune issue. It is hard and time consuming to track down because my tuner is swamped and I was trying to deal with xHP to trouble shoot, hardware to replace.

Currently I just flashed to MHD 7.1 and it runs like a bat out of hell and seems to be behaving on shifts. So quite possibly, it was a tuning issue. I will try to contact Twisted again with updated logs and if I don't hear from him in due time, I will go ahead and upgrade to port injection, Motiv ethanol module, then schedule a dyno tuning day with Motiv to do a 93 octane and an e85 tune to use for the MHD ethanol option.

VT

• Agree
Reactions: Rob09msport

nitemare

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Jax, FL
I've had the transmission in for a couple thousand miles, Hexon RR700 turbos, 23psi, flash only, and xHP stage 3 with custom shift points.

The trans shifts hard and fast, with no signs of slipping. The only thing I notice is light load shifting the rpms flare up like 100-200rpm before grabbing in the next higher gear. I think it's normal though since I have a 600rpm higher stall over stock. During WOT it doesn't do it.

So far im extremely happy with the trans coupled with xHP stage 3

Shift points
1>2 6700
2>3 7000
3>4 7200
4>5 7200

Im willing to bet it's within your tune. Perhaps your reported tq tables. If you want to perhaps try a different tuner who's very intricate and can dial it in perfect let me know. He has my car shifting great....no jearking or bucking once i go WOT....the damn thing just rips

Last edited:
Reactions: matreyia

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I've had the transmission in for a couple thousand miles, Hexon RR700 turbos, 23psi, flash only, and xHP stage 3 with custom shift points.

The trans shifts hard and fast, no signs of slipping. It only thing I notice is light load shifting the rooms flare up like 100-200rpm before grabbing in the next higher gear. I think its normal though since i have a 600rpm higher stall over stock. During WOT it doesnt do it.

Shift points
1>2 6700
2>3 7000
3>4 7200
4>5 7200

Im willing to bet it's within your tune. Perhaps your reported tq tables. If you want to perhaps try a different tuner who's very intricate and can dial it in perfect let me know. He has my car shifting great....no jearking or bucking once i go WOT....the damn thing just rips

What's 'flare up' and 'light load shifting'?
Mine jerks, bucks, hesitates, acts confused if I floor it. Normal driving is fine. Stock flash is much smoother than xhp stage 2 or 3. They are pretty much unusable. So I was asking about custom shift point advice.

nitemare

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Jax, FL
Bro you are all over the place. What does custom shift points have to do with "jerks, hesitates, acts confused when I floor it" the custom shift point are at the top of the rpm range. If you floor it at 3500 what does a 7200 shift point have to do with flooring it at 3500....4000.....4500 when the car is doing everything you stated AS SOON as you floor it?

I can't really Barney style down "flare up" and "light load shifting" any more. I specifically stated EXACTLY how it acts during light load shift and WOT shifting

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Bro you are all over the place. What does custom shift points have to do with "jerks, hesitates, acts confused when I floor it" the custom shift point are at the top of the rpm range. If you floor it at 3500 what does a 7200 shift point have to do with flooring it at 3500....4000.....4500 when the car is doing everything you stated AS SOON as you floor it?

I can't really Barney style down "flare up" and "light load shifting" any more. I specifically stated EXACTLY how it acts during light load shift and WOT shifting

I still don't know what "flare up" means. That was the question.

As for custom shift points, I am asking if anyone has any recommendations on custom shift points...is there a general guideline that should be followed and then refined as per each individual's own car requirements?

If you floored the car from dead stop, what shift points should be set if any to help smoother shifts? My issue is wot from dead stop results in a confused transmission behavior where it is hesitating, jerky, and confused when it shifts.

nitemare

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Jax, FL
I still don't know what "flare up" means. That was the question.

As for custom shift points, I am asking if anyone has any recommendations on custom shift points...is there a general guideline that should be followed and then refined as per each individual's own car requirements?

If you floored the car from dead stop, what shift points should be set if any to help smoother shifts? My issue is wot from dead stop results in a confused transmission behavior where it is hesitating, jerky, and confused when it shifts.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=YC...j0i67k1j0i20i263k1j0i22i10i30k1.0.gA3jqB0Scc4

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

The trans shifts hard and fast, with no signs of slipping. The only thing I notice is light load shifting the rpms flare up like 100-200rpm before grabbing in the next higher gear. I think it's normal though since I have a 600rpm higher stall over stock. During WOT it doesn't do it.

Shift points
1>2 6700
2>3 7000
3>4 7200
4>5 7200

I would be interested to contact your tuner. I am using Twisted currently and am still in the process. But it takes a long time due to both sides schedules being busy.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Custom shiftpoints in regards to xHP tuning (which is our only option) are ONLY for WOT, and should be set according to your powerband/mods.

People with stock turbos + FBO like to keep shift points at 6200 or less depending on traction, transmission health etc. I actually have a "chart" showing how to keep acceleration level/at peak when calculating just gear ratio x engine RPM (and possibly even tire size?) although I spent a large amount of time fine-tuning my WOT shift points for my car when the feature was first released, but I've since changed both hardware and tune so I could probably still tweak that again.

People with giant single turbos will be the ones stretching it out to 7k+, hybrids and proprietary/"stage 3" turbos will be in the middle ground most likely, possibly still at 7k. If you're having issues with your trans' behavior in normal driving conditions (and possibly even still in WOT) it's likely only solvable within your tune.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Just thought of something are you using linear throttle? That messes with shift points especially a recalibrated transmission with different load points

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The newest stage 3 xhp flash version 3 seems to have addressed most of these issues. I knew this was a aoftware and not hardware issue.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
What setting you sticking with on customization?
See below. But I may test all default settings soon.
Screenshot_20200401-071956_xHP Flashtool.jpg
Screenshot_20200401-071922_xHP Flashtool.jpg
Screenshot_20200401-071901_xHP Flashtool.jpg

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
It may be worthwhile to reach out to Rod Sutphin for custom tuning. He gets nothing but praise in the BMW diesel community and has started working on this platform.

I was trying so hard to find a custom tune a while back. Brad87 or sonething like that was doing amazing things and the diesel guys did open the doors for all of us. Me and matreya prob need custom more than most I just wish their was easy way to log

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I was trying so hard to find a custom tune a while back. Brad87 or sonething like that was doing amazing things and the diesel guys did open the doors for all of us. Me and matreya prob need custom more than most I just wish their was easy way to log

I just flashed and updated ecu flash from twisted to marry with a 600whp TCU tune from Rod. I am going to need three more days to adapt completely and will report back. Rod seems like a cool guy that is responsive in communications. So far, so good...no weird transmission behaviors and any behavior that is different from xHP OTS flashes are only good differences. For example, I don't have to wait for the car to shift to go faster if I happen to be in grandma mode cruising in sixth gear...I can now just push the pedal down a little bit and it will shoot forward almost instantly into third gear to get the car into acceleration mode... you know how in the beginning you first drove your car and that smile appeared when you pushed it... yeah...I am predicting lots of that going on again.