Svmp

Private
Dec 23, 2019
Ride
M50 DCT & M57 DCT
Go go!! Good luck!
Thanks!
Haven't been able to progress on this car lately, you probably know why :smile:

Short update though: Have the MK60 and brakes all done, next up engine & DCT will be installed.

Reactions: E92 420

Svmp

Private
Dec 23, 2019
Ride
M50 DCT & M57 DCT
Small update... I really haven’t got the time lately to do anything, but last weekend i had some spare time.
I took the car inside and mounted engine+trans, adjusted all angles and made me a gearbox bracket. It still needs to be reinforced and fully welded.
pWxx7qI.jpg

Then, thanks to the internet, things got a little out of hands again. I stumbled upon a guy/company who had done a E9x 335d triple turbo with good success so far. So i did a lot of calculations and thinking, and decided to go for it.

The third turbo will be compounded with the oem big turbo. Can you spot it in the picture?
RjeImui.jpg

The third turbo will need all kinds of wastegating and a lot of precise control to make everything work together. I will probably build a dedicated controller for proper boost control.

And oh, there it is:
FrpGktA.jpg

Svmp

Private
Dec 23, 2019
Ride
M50 DCT & M57 DCT
Some progress on this one...
Piping basically done for the turbos. Don't mind the welds, that's the result of a left-handed beginner equipped only with a stick-welder for stainless. :weary:

It's a ~70-75lbs capable turbo, i'm intending to run it at 2-3:1 pressure ratio and hopefully be able to keep the K26 closer to 2:1 pressure ratio to achieve what i want at this stage. I would've fitted a bigger one, but there just isn't enough space, and after doing a ot of flow calculations this turbo actually seems better suited for my goals (at least on paper). My power goal is pretty lame, >600hp is enough. Won't be achieving that though without some upgrades on the fuel system, which will take place next winter.

There's going to be a lot of things to measure. Will have my own controller dealing with all of it + WMI. PCB design is ready, but no hurry in manufacturing as there can still be some changes to the design. :smile:

• 2x temperature sensors for boost temp in different stages
  • 2x Pressure sensors for boost pressure in different stages
  • 2x Exhaust pressure sensors for EGP in manifold/mid-pipe
  • 1x EGT in exhaust manifold
  • 2x Wastegate position sensors
  • 2x N75/MAC solenoids to control wastegates (PWM)
  • 1x PWM output for WMI
  • 2x extra digital outputs (for control of OEM turbos if i decide to go that way)

Leo_89

Jan 27, 2021
Sweden
Ride
E30 touring
OMG that is just awesome! My compound build feels lame compared to your tripple :p

is the R90 pump a direct swap to the R70?

Reactions: Svmp

Svmp

Private
Dec 23, 2019
Ride
M50 DCT & M57 DCT
I have a thing for compound turbo diesels. You’re my kinda mad @Svmp ! 😉
Thanks :smile: Looking forward to get this running. Santjer performance have had amazing results with three turbos so far.
OMG that is just awesome! My compound build feels lame compared to your tripple :p

is the R90 pump a direct swap to the R70?
Yes, it bolts on directly. You only have to swap out a banjo connection to hose.
R90 will be enough for only 500-600hp, depending on RPM, so i will probably go dual pumps in "stage 2".