Precision Raceworks coil failure?

Ztuck45

Private
May 16, 2017
Ride
2010 335i
I’m looking for some insight. I recently developed a cylinder 6 and 5 misfire. Cylinder 6 was intermittent under load and cylinder 5 started misfiring intermittently as well but eventually became a constant misfire (Even at idle). I just started running full e85 after installing a double shotgun kit.

Upon investigation i found some carbon tracking on cylinder 6, so i replaced that plug. Cylinder 5 plug looked fine so i replaced that plug anyway and swapped the precision coil to cylinder one.

After doing this the misfire moved to cylinder 1, which made me believe a coil failed.

So my question is, has anyone had a precision coil fail? If so is there a reason why it failed or just coincidence?

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I don't have your answer, but I have PR coils as well.

I also had tracing issues. Some friends of mine mentioned that once tracing occurs, the wire is permanently damaged. I assume you're not talking about the wire, but the blue coil box itself.

Last edited:

luplup

Lurker
Dec 16, 2017
Ride
E82 N54
I have PR coils as well. I wish I saw this thread prior to replacing my plugs. Still having random misfires. Where did you guys get your replacement wires from?

Ztuck45

Private
May 16, 2017
Ride
2010 335i
I have PR coils as well. I wish I saw this thread prior to replacing my plugs. Still having random misfires. Where did you guys get your replacement wires from?

My misfire wasn’t random, it was constant even at idle.

What plugs are you running and what gap? Also what fuel are you running

PRECISION RACEWORKS

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Nov 11, 2016
HOUSTON TX
www.precisionraceworks.com
Alex,
Thanks for the post!

Alex is correct, this is the most common issue we have found in this kit. To date with 1,000's of coils on the market now there have been zero natural coil failures. The only failures have been due to shorts in wiring into the factory harness, or not matching the wire colors. We have OEM quality connectors coming very soon to address this issue head on (it has been low failure rate but it will make install much easier too).

We are looking at changing the design for the plug wires and are looking at a couple different manufacturing options. The wires work perfectly fine but we have found that the current generation of enthusiast have very little experience with plug wires. So we are looking to develop plug wires that are easier to install so there are less issues as a result of improper seating of the wires. Don't expect these until Q3-Q4 of this year.

We have also released new tables to MHD a few months back and are still waiting on them to push the new tables out in an update to MHD. This will give even more power out of our ignition kits then they currently have which is already the highest output coil on the market and will now push even further.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Alex,
Thanks for the post!

Alex is correct, this is the most common issue we have found in this kit. To date with 1,000's of coils on the market now there have been zero natural coil failures. The only failures have been due to shorts in wiring into the factory harness, or not matching the wire colors. We have OEM quality connectors coming very soon to address this issue head on (it has been low failure rate but it will make install much easier too).

We are looking at changing the design for the plug wires and are looking at a couple different manufacturing options. The wires work perfectly fine but we have found that the current generation of enthusiast have very little experience with plug wires. So we are looking to develop plug wires that are easier to install so there are less issues as a result of improper seating of the wires. Don't expect these until Q3-Q4 of this year.

We have also released new tables to MHD a few months back and are still waiting on them to push the new tables out in an update to MHD. This will give even more power out of our ignition kits then they currently have which is already the highest output coil on the market and will now push even further.

This is good news. I was trying to decide between your set or the BL life set since there's was plug and play, but if you have the connectors coming I want your new set. To bad it won't be out for a while though. I guess I can wait lol.

Will you be doing any preorder group buy specials for the new sets?

PRECISION RACEWORKS

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Nov 11, 2016
HOUSTON TX
This is good news. I was trying to decide between your set or the BL life set since there's was plug and play, but if you have the connectors coming I want your new set. To bad it won't be out for a while though. I guess I can wait lol.

Will you be doing any preorder group buy specials for the new sets?

Any way to update the original PR system with the new connectors? Mine are still in the box!

I second this.

We have 180 sample connectors that are Due in this coming Friday 4/30 that's enough for 30 kits. Assuming there are no issues with the molds, we will start shipping some kits with the connectors right away and offering some to a couple recent customers as well. It will take about 3-4 weeks to make the production batch of connectors, at that time we will offer them to everyone through our website priced reasonable and possibly a discount for existing customers.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
We have 180 sample connectors that are Due in this coming Friday 4/30 that's enough for 30 kits. Assuming there are no issues with the molds, we will start shipping some kits with the connectors right away and offering some to a couple recent customers as well. It will take about 3-4 weeks to make the production batch of connectors, at that time we will offer them to everyone through our website priced reasonable and possibly a discount for existing customers.
Just to be clear, will we be able to retrofit the new connectors to old-style coils? If so, I’d be happy to give it a go and a review. Feel free to PM me.

PRECISION RACEWORKS

Corporal
Platinum Vendor
Nov 11, 2016
HOUSTON TX
Just to be clear, will we be able to retrofit the new connectors to old-style coils? If so, I’d be happy to give it a go and a review. Feel free to PM me.

The new connectors were designed in house as most everything we do is and work directly with the terminals we have provided with our kits since their concept stage. This means so long as the terminals were not damaged in any way they can be inserted into our connectors and will lock in place ready to use. We will be offering them to everyone, people who purchased before these came into existance will be able to purchase a pack of 6 at a discount for a short period of time. Those who want to make their own coil kits or have other coil kits but want upgraded connectors will be able to order as well.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive

I created a thread asking people who might be interested in a group buy and it looks like we have some interested. I really didnt expect to see these anytime soon since you said Q3/Q4, so we can order them as soon as 4/30? Is there a pre-order link somewhere, I'd love to grab a set to go with my GC 2.0's (once vargas finishes the rebuild here soon)

https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/new-precision-racework-plug-and-play-kit-q3-q4-2018.3272/

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i

this is great news.Got my set few months ago and even though car seems to be running fine i have few that wont click in from boot to spark plug.So looking forward to this FiX!