PI controller pro's & Con's comparison: JB4 PI vs split 6

Nov 5, 2016
Lake Worth, FL
The AIC6 itself has only access to boost and engine speed so it's very limited in what it can do. You might think you are in full control but with such a limited data set you're really just fooling yourself. Read up on what the JB4 PI control can do which
includes cutting fueling during a misfire, during sudden transitions, flexing port injected fuel up during tip in and transitions, and so much more that is currently under development. Without a JB4 running PI you can't even detect a bank to bank trim variance automatically and cut PI flow and boost before its too late...

So I guess every standalone on the market isn't offering full control lol. Map and RPM is perfectly fine in this case. If the rest of the flash is properly mapped you don't need to worry about tip in and partial throttle.

My main issue was one pull there was way too much fuel, then the next not enough. All with the same settings. I'm interested to see what you guys come up with because I prefer an integrated solution rather than a bunch of separate systems.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
So I guess every standalone on the market isn't offering full control lol. Map and RPM is perfectly fine in this case. If the rest of the flash is properly mapped you don't need to worry about tip in and partial throttle.

My main issue was one pull there was way too much fuel, then the next not enough. All with the same settings. I'm interested to see what you guys come up with because I prefer an integrated solution rather than a bunch of separate systems.

The AIC6 being used is so simple it doesn't even take in to account low fuel pressure which can and will vary during pulls and transitions. Low fuel pressure directly effects injection volume.

In terms of whatever tuning issue you had, I'd have to see the data myself to tell you what the JB4 PI algorithm was doing in that instance and why. It's an area of open development and the goal is for the system to work 100% perfectly with virtually no tuning required across any possible range of modifications, power output, tuning objectives, etc. I'm particularly interested to see logs from situations where things are not working properly to address that within the JB4 PI algorithm.

Sikh335

Nov 18, 2016
Thornton, CO
It is also worth mentioning that BMS no longer supports SS AIC integration with the JB4, they have deleted the fuel maps for the AIC from the PI discussion. You're being forced to either buy their controller or ditch the JB4 lol.

At this point if you want to use an AIC, it will have to be non-integrated with the JB4, or you'll have to run a flash only setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
We absolutely no longer directly support the AIC6. Haven't since we released the BMS PI controller. Without a feedback signal to the JB4 and with all the headaches loading maps/logging it we just don't feel its worth it anymore. We've had too many people going and ripping along at full boost thinking their PI is working when its not flowing anything at all. As far as I know Fuel-IT still supports them although that window may be closing soon too.

That said nothing has changed and the integration still works as it did before but if you try to contact us for help on it, which at this point is largely people looking for help with 2nd hand kits, we'll tell you to get the new controller. There is a used market for AIC6 for those who still want to run a stand alone approach so upgrading isn't that much anyway.

Last edited:

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Reviving this post as a lot can change in 6 months..
As I am in the market for a controller and have been quite happy with my jb4 bef meth control combo.. Is only natural I will be leaning towards the bms controller..

@Terry@BMS what's new on the PI controller front?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
We've integrated flex fuel mapping in using either a hard wired or virtual flex fuel sensor, added an output to the PI box to run a secondary fuel pump, further revised the software, etc. Comparing what we offer with our integrated PI control to something like the AIC6 is like comparing an Atari to a PS4.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
We've integrated flex fuel mapping in using either a hard wired or virtual flex fuel sensor, added an output to the PI box to run a secondary fuel pump, further revised the software, etc. Comparing what we offer with our integrated PI control to something like the AIC6 is like comparing an Atari to a PS4.
In the event I get one packaged up with a PI set up second hand, what would one be looking for to ensure it has all those features? Build codes? Exterior differences ect...

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
The latest ones with the orange wire for a 2nd fuel pump have only been out a few weeks, so not likely to find one of those used.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
@Terry@BMS I still have the new pi controller unopened in the box on a shelf waiting for my motor to get back. Could i send it back for the revised version with orange wire?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
You'd have to email in to the orders department to see if they can work something out for you.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
atarivsps4.jpg

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Aside from the addition of the orange wire, is there any difference between the two on the software side?

The only difference on the controller end is the extra output and software changes related to that output.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Another option is running a haltech, and get the wire harness from Ad-eng. Very useful for single turbo guys and people without a jb4.

I've used/tuned the split second controllers and had zero issues. The software used is an older style. the customer service from them is great

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
Terry I have my 2nd LPFP wired to orange wire. As soon as I place the negative wire on my battery the pump kicks on. Any help?

The orange wire sends out a low current +12v signal to a relay which you'd wire up to the second LFP. The JB4 is set to power up that signal any time PI turns on, currently. So I'd presume you have the second fuel pump relay wired up wrong.