Technical NoorJ's Custom Single Turbo Build & Results

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Hey Guys! I've posted a few times here and there about my custom single turbo I made but thought I would make a dedicated thread since I finally hit a goal I've been trying at for a while. First I'll give a little backstory:

Car is a 2007 E90 335i 6MT I bought with 130k miles after crashing my older E92. Went directly to FBO then upgraded twins setup in 2017. I enjoyed that setup for a while (~640whp on 26psi) however with less than 10k miles on them I developed intermittent smoking issues. After going unresolved from the manufacturer, I sent them back to be rebuilt and sold them. Back when I had my old E92 I had planned of building a single turbo manifold from the stock turbofolds but never got around to it, so I thought now would be the perfect time.

Over this past winter I build the manifold/hot side kit, swapped in a lower 80k mile longblock (old engine was still fine, just got a good deal on this engine and wanted to save mine for another project), and put in an XClutch organic twin disk. Below are some pictures of the manifold, but it's a pretty simple "log" style single scroll, utilizing a vband inlet turbine housing and stainless schedule 10 pipe. I have a good spreadsheet I'll link with a parts breakdown and price I paid for everything, but it was under $3000 considering I had alot of the parts/materials sitting in my garage.

And here's the link to the google spreadsheet for parts I used:

After I got it up and running well, got the calibration ironed out, I rented a local dyno for some dialing-in and numbers and ended up putting down 708whp (STD correct) on 30psi. I have cal'd it as high as 33psi, but I couldn't get enough load on the dyno to reach that boost so 30psi was as high as the controller would let me go. Overall was very happy with the numbers, and got some good data on ignition timing/VANOS adjustments for the manifold. (Also got some cool pictures shooting flames)

A few weeks ago I took it to it's first major race event, Battle Creek Speedfest 1/2 Mile Event. Last year on the twins setup I ran a best of 158mph (standing start 1/2 mile), so this year the goal was 160+mph. Well there is always some good competition there, so I had it turned up on kill mode (33 psi) and ended the day with a best 173.6mph from a standing start! Had a blast as always, meet a few new friends (including the owner of the Ferrari 488 GTB that I beat by about 1 car length) and definitely recommend the event to anyone in the midwest!

I had taken the car out to our local 1/4 drag strip a few times with some very disappointing results (mid 12's) due to my lack of ability to properly launch/slip the clutch. But finally last night I got my launch dialed in (with the help of @suspenceful and his videos) and ended up running a 10.7@135mph! I finally bought draggy before this, and loved the video it took also was very surprised how closely it matched my time slip. There's also the datalog from the run, showing 28psi on average with somewhat minimal timing corrections (I get some from NLS'ing)

Log from the pass is below for those interested:

Another shout out goes to @chadillac2000 for documenting his build so well, really helped me out building my manifold and his pictures are far better than mine. I'll add in a full mod list once I get some more time, but feel free to shoot me any questions!

Attachments

• IMG_0617.JPG
    IMG_0617.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 428

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Sick. Awesome results man great 1/2 and 1/4 mile results. Goes to show you don't need to spend 2k+ on a turbo to get jiggy with it. Those stock turbofolds are quality.

Nothing like beating a Ferrari in a 4 door grocery getter ;)

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Glad to see the stock driveline handling the abuse. xclutch shifts are brutal, my old spec 3+ never chirped tires 3 to 4 now it's a regular occurence.

Yeah I was pretty scared NLS'ing the 1-2 shift, but sometime you just gotta send it

Sick. Awesome results man great 1/2 and 1/4 mile results. Goes to show you don't need to spend 2k+ on a turbo to get jiggy with it. Those stock turbofolds are quality.

Nothing like beating a Ferrari in a 4 door grocery getter ;)

Thanks man! honestly even though I knew (based on power/weight) I should beat him, actually pulling on him was an awesome feeling, the girlfriend loved it too (she got a decent video of it on facebook)

Very nice, congrats Noor! Another MT car in the 10's flash only is great :)

Thanks Jake! I wonder how much faster it will go with 2 step ;)

Congrats! That's cool how close draggy is.

6700 rpm and sent it lol. Nice.

Now if we can just get anti-lag *cough* @jyamona *cough*

Thanks! I was also very impressed how close it was. Haha yeah it'll be cool to do a comparison once that comes out

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Damn i've broke 2 axles and a 6mt trans with my x clutch ceramic on about 575 whp

Damn that’s a bummer. The organic definitely is more manageable to slip getting out of the hole, and being a journal bearing turbo it’s pretty lazy so those are probably helping me

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Nice simple and very effective build. Glad to hear my pictures were helpful for your fabricating! Seems like more and more single turbo 6MT cars are dipping into the 10s. I need to get to a dyno and a drag strip.

Reactions: noorj and SJ_1989

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Nice simple and very effective build. Glad to hear my pictures were helpful for your fabricating! Seems like more and more single turbo 6MT cars are dipping into the 10s. I need to get to a dyno and a drag strip.

Thanks man! Yeah it really was nice to use, I did have 2 engines to mock up fitment in the car and on the stand but having reference pictures was great. You definitely should, it's awesome to see these cars with 150k+ miles still getting down

@noorj I believe you now have the quickest 6MT (not including Ghassan obviously)

Haha that is awesome! I do know that Jake's car definitely has more left in it, and I bet as the weather cools off people will start running some better times. But I think this car can pick up at least a couple MPH in the back half with more boost, maybe enough to see a 10.5 by the end of the year

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
Hell yeah! I'm so happy to see this. Pushing more 6MT cars into the 10's helps keep this platform progressing.

I'm also glad to see you found my video helpful! It took me a bit to learn how to launch with these cars, I'm sure we both have even more room for improvement. I'll be coming for you by the end of the year :smirk:

What are you doing for tuning? BoostBox? Self tuned? You were able to build a lot more boost than I was in 1st and 2nd gear.

PS: That DIY turbo kit looks awesome. Of the homemade kits I've seen using the stock manifolds, yours actually looks legit!

Reactions: noorj

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
Hell yeah! I'm so happy to see this. Pushing more 6MT cars into the 10's helps keep this platform progressing.

I'm also glad to see you found my video helpful! It took me a bit to learn how to launch with these cars, I'm sure we both have even more room for improvement. I'll be coming for you by the end of the year :smirk:

What are you doing for tuning? BoostBox? Self tuned? You were able to build a lot more boost than I was in 1st and 2nd gear.

PS: That DIY turbo kit looks awesome. Of the homemade kits I've seen using the stock manifolds, yours actually looks legit!

Haha I know you will be, if you're ever close to the Michigan area it would be fun to hit up a track together. Side by side 10 second N54's would make an awesome video.

Yeah all self-tuned, I'm a calibration engineer in the auto-industry so it comes natural. It is sort-of "flash only" but I don't use the boostbox as I saw some odd electrical things on my car when using it - so I use the Turbosmart eBoost Street ebc. I really like having quick adjustability of boost pressure, but I might try going back to Boostbox once they get on-the-fly load target changes going. The eBoost has a nice "gate pressure" option, which will hold the solenoid at 100% DC until gate pressure is reached which unless you're very good with JB4 boost PID tuning (idk if that's even an option) you won't get with normal PID control. I definitely think that's helping me get more boost, and the added weight of my E90 vs your E82 helps put more load on the engine, making more boost.

But thanks man! It took me way longer than a professional would have, and I know it's not an "optimal flow path" or anything, but it seems to work for what I need it to do!.