No Start - No Crank - No Click

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
So I replaced my starter.... See my post below on the carnage I created cutting the starter out!

That Fekken Starter Bolt!

I still have the exact same symptoms and they are described perfectly in this conversation on E90Post E90 Starter Discussion.

The beginning:
- Never any hints of a starter problem. No weak cranks, etc
- Without warning, car does not attempt to crank. No clicks, etc and everything works as expected with strong blower fan, lights, etc
- Attempt to jump start, no clicks, no crank, etc
- Have it towed home
- Attempt to turn starter with Bump starter trigger - nothing
- Check for power at the cable. Power checks out so I replaced the starter

** when I checked for power I only used a test LED and I checked between the strut tower for ground and the starter power cable. So It could be weak power I suppose
Current Situation:
- New starter is in. Exact same behavior
- Tried my second key. Exact same behavior
- Currently just waiting to end work today and spend some time on it. My first check will be the Ground and voltage difference between engine block and chassis ground.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I would maybe try taking jumper cables from your jump post to the starter and from block to chassis then see if starts and also check solenoid

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Not sure if you checked for power while cranking or just to see if main line was bringing juice in. I believe it is a relay setup where the power is constant so that the ignition doesnt have to handle all that current but if it was a weak connection i would expect that you would get clicking, so i would think that the solenoid isn't triggering the starter

barry@3DM

Corporal
Jun 4, 2018
Only thing that comes to mind on a whim is the chassis ground strap to the engine block. IIRC its connected to the driver side engine support arm and goes over to the frame rail under the steering column. Check to see if that is loose or frayed or something. Even if that is disconnected you will still see voltage at the starter from the grounds of engine wire harness but those small awg grounds are not enough to provide proper amperage to get the starter to run. (hence the need for large chassis to block ground strap)

Hope that is it and hope that helps!
Cheers,
Barry

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Is your sarter solenoid getting signal? Work your way back from there.

Filippo

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Did you ever get your positive battery cable replaced?

This was a known problem when the cables were malfunctioning. If the cable is bad or the explosive inside the cable went off on it's own the car will get power but your starter won't to prevent the car from turning over. This is just another thing to check.

Reactions: fmorelli

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Voltage between Jump post and strut tower 12.5V
Voltage between jump post and engine block/starter body 12.4V
Voltage at solenoid wire when the start button is depressed is 11.8V

I jumpered a wire between the solenoid and the jump post and got nothing, not even a click - same as with the original starter.

So... either this new starter has the exact same problem with the solenoid or ???

To check the power cable at the starter I will need to get the intake off again but if the solenoid isn't even clicking then it doesn't matter what power the main cable has.

Be right back.... gonna give this new starter a good whack!

I suppose next step is to remove the intake again and put some power directly on the starter.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Have you checked all your fuses/relays? That would be the next step, Maybe a fuse recently blew or its a relay. I doubt your new starters is bad.

Also I dont think you can jump the car with just bypassing the power. The starter needs to energize which requires the correct CAS key code, ECU, Transmission is Park and the foot pedal pressed. Without doing all 4 it won't work otherwise you just figured out how to steal a bmw lol.

Attachments

• SBT Electrical distribution centre_ E87, E90, E91, E92.pdf
    76.8 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Since both starters exhibited the same problem I might take the one on the bench, put 12V to the starter main (jumper cable to your battery), run the GND somewhere, and then alligator clip GND on the solenoid, then touch the solenoid with a positively powered alligator. See what happens. It should do nothing (we assumed it was bad, right?) ... then I'd move to the starter in the car based on what I learned from the bench test, accordingly. It is possible that the new starter has a bad solenoid.

Sorry you're having these problems. I went through a starter nightmare on the E36 318ti M-technic about four months ago. I was all EWS hinky but it turned out to be something else.

Filippo

p.s. I buy starters and alternators from FCP Euro ... given lifetime warranty. I lost an alternator 18 months after install and they replaced no questions asked.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Have you checked all your fuses/relays? That would be the next step, Maybe a fuse recently blew or its a relay. I doubt your new starters is bad.

Also I dont think you can jump the car with just bypassing the power. The starter needs to energize which requires the correct CAS key code, ECU, Transmission is Park and the foot pedal pressed. Without doing all 4 it won't work otherwise you just figured out how to steal a bmw lol.

This is mostly true. But bypassing all of that and just energizing the starter directly will cause the starter motor to turn the engine over. Car engine won't start of course but it will crank over.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
This is mostly true. But bypassing all of that and just energizing the starter directly will cause the starter motor to turn the engine over. Car engine won't start of course but it will crank over.
But then you would know it's not the starter.

• Agree
Reactions: Sshec152

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I have heard of faulty starter buttons but the fact you’re getting voltage to the solenoid when pressing means it won’t be that

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
What I think is going on is a grounding problem. We have a good enough ground to measure all the right voltages but not enough to energize the starter.

- Putting a jumper cable from the ground point on the strut tower to the engine block does NOT work either.
- Running the jumper cable from the negative side of the battery in the trunk to strut tower bolts does NOT work.
- Running the jumper cable from the negative side of the battery in the trunk to the engine block DOES work.

I have new starter, no regrets replacing a 10-11 year old starter
I have a new battery, no regrets replacing an almost 8 year old battery

So Barry's description seems spot on at the moment. But... while I was under the car trying to remove the starter from above the transmission, I looked at the ground strap and it seemed OK. So back under the car I go.

20180706_161650.jpg

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You take your throttle body off the manifold for removal? Crazy. I just leave it on. I also cut the screws down on the wiring box under the intake so they only require about 1 turn to remove now. So, really quick removal.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
You take your throttle body off the manifold for removal? Crazy. I just leave it on. I also cut the screws down on the wiring box under the intake so they only require about 1 turn to remove now. So, really quick removal.

Those 4 bolts for the throttle body are pretty easy to remove. I hate trying to fit that intake back on so much the thought of having that hanging off of it didn't seem too appealing. Next time I will try it your way.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Those 4 bolts for the throttle body are pretty easy to remove. I hate trying to fit that intake back on so much the thought of having that hanging off of it didn't seem too appealing. Next time I will try it your way.
Hahaha...you do have a lot more of the stock parts than I do. So, tb off may be better.