PROMO Nexsys Motorsport N54 Ignition Coil Upgrade Kit

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The R8 coils are a complete home jalopy solution. it is laughable that anyone would use the words reliability, R8 coils, and N54 in the same description. Unfortunately just ill informed.

I will seriously consider this setup once I have my other drivetrain items sorted out. This is an OEM class product as best as I can tell. We won't be hearing about coils not touching the spark plugs, arcing issues, various components of the ignition kit coming apart, needing to order additional individual parts to fix them, and all the other BS has gone on for the last several years.

It is not easy to build an OEM class solution, but I believe these guys have done it.

Filippo

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
The R8 coils are a complete home jalopy solution. it is laughable that anyone would use the words reliability, R8 coils, and N54 in the same description. Unfortunately just ill informed.

I will seriously consider this setup once I have my other drivetrain items sorted out. This is an OEM class product as best as I can tell. We won't be hearing about coils not touching the spark plugs, arching issues, various components of the ignition kit coming apart, needing to order additional individual parts to fix them, and all the other BS has gone on for the last several years.

it is not easy to build an OEM class solution, but I believe these guys have done it.

Filippo

Completely agreed Filippo. Sorting out a vac leak issue on my car and as soon as that's done I'll be switching to this. I've already removed my PR setup and temporarily am on stock coils for simplicity's sake.

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Hey Tony, I got your email and will send you a reply shortly (I don't work on weekends so I'm just getting to email today).
Sorry if I missed it, do you have a kit in stock for m18 valve cover ? Black.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
While I love the R&D that went into this kit, it hurts that I just installed my Bimmerlife coil setup after extensive modding of the R8 coils... my gosh what a waste of my time and money.

I didn't get breakup at higher RPM but ... if I had just waited a few months. :sob:

Great product, information, pricing, looks, etc. Just amazing.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
While I love the R&D that went into this kit, it hurts that I just installed my Bimmerlife coil setup after extensive modding of the R8 coils... my gosh what a waste of my time and money.
Sorry to hear that ... got that t-shirt ... but hey should work fine now that you finished developing the product yourself :tonguewink:

Filippo

• Funny
Reactions: derekgates

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH

I didn't get breakup at higher RPM but ... if I had just waited a few months. :sob:

Great product, information, pricing, looks, etc. Just amazing.

Well on the plus side you have red coils which is the color that is in demand and all the rage these days. I hear they add +100 wtq midrange!

• Funny
Reactions: bahn and fmorelli

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Well on the plus side you have red coils which is the color that is in demand and all the rage these days. I hear they add +100 wtq midrange!

haha. :D

The coils did fix my WOT redline breakup. I was facing check engine lights when I was maxing out in 7th gear and with the 3.15 in the back it is required at the track to redline...

That being said, I wish I had waited. I've only done one track day since the R8 coils have been installed and had to retire for suspension issue.... I could have been rocking these awesome coils!

• Informative
Reactions: bahn and Torgus

Blaze439

May 5, 2019
Ride
S50 E30 / E90 335XI 6MT
Got mine on today. FYI, you need to take off the plastic harness cover. Sending my log over to Shoup to se how she did.
C1AC5B75-731C-4F02-87ED-257C5CDBA7E3.jpeg

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
So uh... Just to be sure, Can I run these with 95706 plugs gapped 0.022 or do I need to regap or change plugs?

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What's stock availability of the N54 stock VC kit? Ready to order.

Secondary question, what's the PN of the current B58 coil of choice?

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
N55!!!??☹️........any day now?
We ended up making a small tweak to the bracket design for the N55 for better fitment. We'd rather the bracket fit perfectly than just being "good enough". Demand for the N54 kit has far exceeded our expectations which has added additional lead time for those orders. We've engaged additional suppliers at this time so we should be able to release the N55 kit as soon as we finish fitment testing of our latest revision.
So uh... Just to be sure, Can I run these with 95706 plugs gapped 0.022 or do I need to regap or change plugs?
Thank you for your support! Yes you can run this kit with those plugs and that gap.
What's stock availability of the N54 stock VC kit? Ready to order.

Secondary question, what's the PN of the current B58 coil of choice?
The stock valve cover kit is our most popular and is unfortunately back-ordered 3-4 weeks at the moment. We've seen a large increase in orders with the recent stimulus checks so I would get your order placed sooner than later to avoid even longer lead times. As stated above we've engaged additional suppliers so we should be able to make up some ground here shortly!

As for PN: 12138643360

Lightning

Feb 18, 2021

Many N54 record breaking results to prove you wrong readily available. Yes first batch of BL harness was shit. But not anymore.

Take a looky here for example; https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...coilpacks-reliability-feedback-wanted.268278/

These are coils used on engines from big boosted 2 liters to the RS6 V8 to the high revving NA V10 Lamborgini's.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Many N54 record breaking results to prove you wrong readily available. Yes first batch of BL harness was shit. But not anymore.

Take a looky here for example; https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...coilpacks-reliability-feedback-wanted.268278/

These are coils used on engines from big boosted 2 liters to the RS6 V8 to the high revving NA V10 Lamborgini's.
Obviously you missed the fact that the coils don't actually fit the N54 motors, and that spark is actually happening only because the spark jumps from the end of the coil across an air gap to the spark plug. Until eventually the whole thing gives up.

It's a jalopy solution because, as the kit comes, the plugs don't even fit the motor and require significant modifications. But yeah I did all the homework with my setup - go ahead and mark as many posts of mine as dumb. The facts are what they are. And that's before we even get to the home depot wiring harness.

When I change out my ignition system, it will be to this one as it has been properly engineered end-to-end by someone that clearly has demonstrated he knows what he's doing. More people like this on the platform FTW!

Filippo