Nelson Racing Wheel Paddle Shifter Development

Gapcity

Aug 6, 2017
Ride
E90 N54
View attachment 3357 Hey Guys and Gals!

As some of you may know I am developing a new 100% proprietary system to allow for the usual Steptronic Steering wheel found on most BMW's to be retrofitted with a more usable paddle shifter.

This system will use the OEM housings and hardware with a rather complex adapter plate that will take the standard "thumb paddle" and allow you to DIY at home a paddle of your choice.

Ive disassembled the OEM paddles from a LCI/Sport/And F series chassis to start taking measure of the new plate.

Essentially you will remove the stock paddles for the wheel, remove the giant eyesore of a OEM paddle, and then install an adapter that will allow you to use almost all DCT paddles you can purchase off ebay.

These will also be made in house on a 3D Printer after I finish the rounds fo prototyping. I will also detail the process here so you can refer back when they go live to see how easy it is to do. A video is likely needed since the removal of OEM hardware can be tricky.

Once done you'll have new paddles that not only look much better but will also operate like a traditional paddle. Even the left being downshift and right being up shift! Or you can use the usual push pull setting too if desired. View attachment 3354 View attachment 3355 View attachment 3356
Can't wait

Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
www.nelsonracingwheel.com
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
Hey Guys!

Sorry for the lack of response on this thread, i started a master thread that i have been updating as i have the time but did want to circle back here. Here are some near final images of the NRW Paddle Kits that as we all know will completely remove the OEM "Thumb Paddles" and we will now include a BimmerLife DIY on how to make the system a Pull/Pull setup by moving some very simple harness cables around - its totally reversible too with zero cutting needed :)

But onto the good stuff. After roughly 19 variants of design and 6 months of back and forth between my team and I, we finally have something I would put into circulation for NRW. Its a simple thing we have done here but the complex geometric guts of the paddles and even worse tolerances for support points AND the incredibly limited space we have to work with was very difficult.

BUT! We now have something that is 95% perfect with one adjustment to the striking lever being made today and tested again this week on our test car(s). Here are some pics and feedback!

Also the options are as follows:
- 3 style at launch (blade, shorty, wing styles)

- 1 style (blade) will be offered with Twill or Hex Fiber (real fiber no vinyl at NRW ever) This style will also allow for options in Alcantara, Leather, or Perf Leather too. Or you can do a Twill front and an Alcantara back (like our wheels offer) to make it a perfectly matched paddle to your interior. We even have matching colors available for your interiors.

- Prices will start at $89.99 for the naked or base models and added costs for Alcantara or Twill Fiber options.
This price will include a set of paddles (pick your style) and also include the needed internals to make this a 15 minute DIY process. Plus the DIY by BimmerLife to illustrate the Pull/Pull wire up that is super simple. Talk about crazy good deals!

- And for a fee we can design a ground up paddle kit for your company. We are working with a very prominent transmission tuner now to build them a custom paddle that is branded. I wont say names but... LOL.

Capture+_2017-10-11-11-37-41.png
20171010_172728.jpg
20171010_172735.jpg
20171010_221807~2.jpg
20171010_221926~2.jpg
20171010_225158~2.jpg
Capture+_2017-10-11-12-03-56.png

Reactions: doublespaces

camberadam

Sergeant
Feb 15, 2017
Baltimore
Ride
Tasmin Green e92
How about you give status updates to the people that paid you 8 weeks ago... Shipping by tomorrow correct?

Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
If it's done absolutely. As it states on the website and the email confirmation, we do not rush our process to meet a deadline in any aspect. Other companies may push for a deadline but i/we will not.

Rushing a fiber based process would give you an item that wouldn't be up to snuff to the standards we have set. As seen by our 100+ satisfied customers. ;)

NRW wheels are famous for a reason primarily around the quality. We do try to meet deadlines but being a small company we cannot make only wheels every day. We divide the time amongst dozens of projects. :)

add1ct

Lurker
Feb 9, 2017
Ride
2010 335i
On the launch date there was an option for the m3 billet paddle adapters only for 54.99. I already have a set of oem m3 paddles I was planning to run with them but I no longer see it as an option.

Reactions: Snelson3003

Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
I initially removed it due to dozens of people buying in hopes it was a full kit with paddles. So to make it easier i took it down, however ive gotten alot of requests to bring it back. SO ITS BACK UP! :)

Also here is a teaser of the development twill fiber based paddles much like the billet unite. Also note, the billet options will now come in Red, Silver, and Black color options with the NEW engraved into them!

This is an M3 wheel with a twill core and a hex fiber front trim that we did recently. It also has the initial CF paddles installed which will launch soon!
23275589_1768043933220287_625005901461043423_o.jpg

JOEinSD

Private
Mar 31, 2017
Ride
N54 335i
Adapters ordered as well! I'm assuming you'll have just the paddles (no adapters) up for sale by themselves in the near future for those that have a change of heart in paddle styles?

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
@Snelson3003
I thought I read somewhere you were looking into adding a shift light somewhat similar to the BMW Performance wheels into yours. I could have been mixing it up with someone asking about heated wheels in the same thread, but is this something you're looking at for the future?

Snelson3003

Sergeant
Nov 7, 2016
Denver
Ride
2010 BMW 135i
LAST CHANCE TO SAVE ON PRE-LCI AND LCI PADDLE KITS!
In 2018 NRW will be adding new vendors to our reseller program as we continue to expand our network! :)

Due to this we will be launching the last sale on the paddle kits since we have had such an incredible launch!

If you miss this sale you can find our paddles soon on several reseller sites and these are the ONLY full kits on the market that use the OEM harness to fit proper paddles. Fully reversible and modular too! You can swap the paddles out anytime with no wires or coding!

CODE: 2AAF

https://www.nelsonracingwheel.com/paddle-shifters

• Funny
Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions