N54 water to air intercooler street build

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
For those that are interested in doing this we will be releasing a cast version of our upgraded intercooler for the S55 engines very soon. It will be a lot more cost effective then our current billet end tanks

Reactions: doublespaces

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
For those that are interested in doing this we will be releasing a cast version of our upgraded intercooler for the S55 engines very soon. It will be a lot more cost effective then our current billet end tanks
With oem pieces coming in between 260-450 on eBay, it's going to have to be significantly less expensive than the current option to make sense, being that we still have to put together the rest of the charge and heat exchange systems. I'm certainly interested to see what you guys come up with though.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
With oem pieces coming in between 260-450 on eBay, it's going to have to be significantly less expensive than the current option to make sense, being that we still have to put together the rest of the charge and heat exchange systems. I'm certainly interested to see what you guys come up with though.

There is no way to compete with a used intercooler from ebay, our core costs more than that haha!

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
There is no way to compete with a used intercooler from ebay, our core costs more than that haha!
Maybe an initial colab between you guys and @bantam could be a good opportunity then to show the N54 market what an A2W setup could do for us, and increase your customer base? Just a thought, or if you guys have an N54 in house that has availability for a project like this...

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
Maybe an initial colab between you guys and @bantam could be a good opportunity then to show the N54 market what an A2W setup could do for us, and increase your customer base? Just a thought, or if you guys have an N54 in house that has availability for a project like this...

We have a few actually and it has been kicked around as a project on the back burner. Its very possible we can make this happen if there was enough interest. The system is definitely efficient, we have proved that on the S55. May even gain throttle response and a few more things as benefits. We have a lot of projects on the table at the moment, but we might look at this again!

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
Once you know the logic you want to use for implementation a Can shield could take all available data and process it into pwm or on off for the pump.

something like this sounds ideal. Looking online, they appear to be quite cost-effective. Any links on where I could read up on these things?

@bantam any chance you could get measurements of the ic at some point? I'd like to model up and run some analysis on an ic the same size as stock, but with the core designed around microtubes like the Mezzo tech A2W cores, and then see what the cost to produce would be. Basically just need the core length, width, and height are to start.

stock m3 core length = 5 3/8", width = 11", height 3"

We have a few actually and it has been kicked around as a project on the back burner. Its very possible we can make this happen if there was enough interest. The system is definitely efficient, we have proved that on the S55. May even gain throttle response and a few more things as benefits. We have a lot of projects on the table at the moment, but we might look at this again!

I guess it would not actually require any additional work for you guys to have the n54 as a platform. if we could agree on a test methodology, I would be interested to see the performance gain from using one of your coolers once my system is debugged.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
something like this sounds ideal. Looking online, they appear to be quite cost-effective. Any links on where I could read up on these things?

stock m3 core length = 5 3/8", width = 11", height 3"

I guess it would not actually require any additional work for you guys to have the n54 as a platform. if we could agree on a test methodology, I would be interested to see the performance gain from using one of your coolers once my system is debugged.

Sure, once you get up and running hit us up and we can talk. Our core measures 6" x 12" x 4.1" when mounted to the manifold it only raises the height by about 5/16", my only concern might be the hood clearance.

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
How would / could this work out with a top mount single?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
How would / could this work out with a top mount single?

You'd reclock the compressor housing to with the outlet at the 1 oclock position instead of the 6 oclock position. Then a 100-120 degree silicone coupler would get the charge pipe running back to the W2A end tank. It would be even shorter piping than what you see here. And far easier/cheaper.

ETA: Or you could do a close radius pie cut charge pipe that would look killer made out of titanium and get rid of that ugly tight radius silicone coupler.

Reactions: LoBoost

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
You'd reclock the compressor housing to with the outlet at the 1 oclock position instead of the 6 oclock position. Then a 100-120 degree silicone coupler would get the charge pipe running back to the W2A end tank. It would be even shorter piping than what you see here. And far easier/cheaper.

ETA: Or you could do a close radius pie cut charge pipe that would look killer made out of titanium and get rid of that ugly tight radius silicone coupler.

Thanks!

I wonder what the odds are of this fitting on top of the doc race intake manifold.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
any thoughts on turning the turbo 180 on the manifold and really shortening up the feed to the top mount? you'd need a custom downpipe of course but that would probably be the shortest charge piping route possible

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
@bantam up and running yet?

Not quite, I have been having a problem with excessive work/social events/travel as well as project scope creep!

Entire cooling system replaced (hoses, Tstat, water pump), 335D tank installed, CSF radiator, High and low side (rb external) catch can installed, accessory belt and idlers/tensioner replaced, vacuum lines replaced, downpipes installed.

I also took a break from physical work to design/source a new custom heat exchanger core, which should hopefully be arriving in a month or so.

I really struggled to make an intake setup that I was happy with (still not happy), my current plan is a hacked up MMP stock location silicone set.

I am currently working on my intercooler pump, can anyone recommend a 12v ignition switched circuit that would have ~5A to spare?

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Project scope creep...syndrome maybe? :)

Is that heat exchanger something that can be reproduced? If so at what cost? If you have any details on that I'm curious.