N54 water to air intercooler street build

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Actually, with the A2A core on top of the intake manifold like that, a top mount single turbo would be super easy to route the piping. Like, almost cheating easy.
A2A? You A2W? Also, a top mount single would be way more difficult to route than a bottom mount.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
There’s a few variables with top mounts that could make it both harder or easier. One pipe is in theory half the work of two.
I guess you could throw an elbow on the outlet and route it back over top of the turbo. I think top mounts are setup better for A2A and bottom mounts for A2W though.

• Agree
Reactions: doublespaces

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I guess you could throw an elbow on the outlet and route it back over top of the turbo. I think top mounts are setup better for A2A and bottom mounts for A2W though.

You guys are making it way harder than it is. Just reclock the compressor housing for the outlet to be on the top. Bam, done. Then it’s a 90deg silicone coupler and a single 12” straight section of pipe away from connecting to your core.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
You guys are making it way harder than it is. Just reclock the compressor housing for the outlet to be on the top. Bam, done. Then it’s a 90deg silicone coupler and a single 12” straight section of pipe away from connecting to your core.
you'd have to run a 90* heading back from the front of the car, then another 90* over the engine. Not difficult necessarily, depending on hood clearance, but you'd be routing it all directly over, and extremely close to, the hottest parts in the engine bay. Bottom mount is still the better form factor for A2W.

Sshec152

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
Aston pa
That might work but hood clearance is already tight. But what about the end tank having 2 inlets? Block one off or have a custom endtank or whole new intercooler made

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
That might work but hood clearance is already tight. But what about the end tank having 2 inlets? Block one off or have a custom endtank or whole new intercooler made
Just split the tube like a collector but backwards.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If this works out, maybe @Dusty Waterfall can jig up S55 A2W outlets and a charge pipe. Shouldn't be too much work. Maybe even slap together a good A2W IC for a whole kit. His front miunt oil cooler brackets and exchanger (maybe a taller one) may fit right in for the project.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
It's looking like the hardware for this could be had for fairly little money. ICs are looking like $250-$400 used, water pumps are ~$200 new, and the heat exchanger looks like it's $300ish new. Make your own lines, fittings, and charge piping, and you're maybe $1000-1200 deep. Then sell your old parts and get $400-600 back. Doesn't seem to bad to me.

So, who has any idea how the water pump is going to be controlled though? Is the S55 pump table driven in the DME? Could this be a simple add, or a simple wire splice to run the pump based off of engine speed, fuel pump duty cycle, or map reading?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
If it cant be done by the DME a very simple IAT probe and a relay could do the trick. Or we could get really tricky and hijack the CAN BUS and drive it from certain PIDs and and simple logic...

Reactions: The Convert

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is

Nobody with a single setup, and contemplating a W2A intercooler is going to use a stock piece, would you use the stock A2A intercooler? I like this development because it's proof of concept on a great idea that can be expounded upon.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Nobody with a single setup, and contemplating a W2A intercooler is going to use a stock piece, would you use the stock A2A intercooler? I like this development because it's proof of concept on a great idea that can be expounded upon.
I'm running a Motiv750 kit and would use the oem A2W IC, but then I'm not shooting for the moon either.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yeah agree - stock intercooler for single users wouldnt be many of those @The Convert no offence but usually you single guys need something more substantial?

Im still on twins but If someone sold a kit that fit our cars, that was modular, i would definitely consider this.
I’d personally buy the intercooler and heat exchanger pump and plumbing used and only need the control device and outlet and inlet plumbing

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
What are you doing for a heat exchanger? What about an ice tank?
This is what I'm also talking about. I want to see how someone fixes the dual core inlets and what you've mentioned. From there I'll figure out how I'd do an AC setup.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
This is what I'm also talking about. I want to see how someone fixes the dual core inlets and what you've mentioned. From there I'll figure out how I'd do an AC setup.
Dual core inlets has already been solved on the n55 135i on page 1