N54 Stock DME Flex Fuel

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Ok, but something else is going on now..
I have a custom flex fuel tune and strangely the e content is maximum 60.0% @ fuel interpolation of 82%.
I've mixed the fuel myself with e100 to comply E85 in total. It looks like the e sensor needs to be calibrated or something else.
Today I've tanked e85 in France and exactly the same showed on the e content meter namely 60.0%.

My tuner said that I had to test the ethanol content so he could correct the ethanol calculation by changing the sensor calibration.

How on earth can this calculation be so off?!

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Ok, but something else is going on now..
I have a custom flex fuel tune and strangely the e content is maximum 60.0% @ fuel interpolation of 82%.
I've mixed the fuel myself with e100 to comply E85 in total. It looks like the e sensor needs to be calibrated or something else.
Today I've tanked e85 in France and exactly the same showed on the e content meter namely 60.0%.

My tuner said that I had to test the ethanol content so he could correct the ethanol calculation by changing the sensor calibration.

How on earth can this calculation be so off?!

sounds like a similar issue to what @NoGuru had

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Sensor calibration should not need to be manually set unless you purchased a knock off ethanol sensor. And in that case, no FF support is given (too many headaches).

Is you ethanol sensor a genuine Continental piece? And who is your tuner?

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Hmm strange.. I've bought a original Continental FF sensor and my tuner is Ken.
Since I started to tank full E85 this problem appeared. Before on E30 and E50 mixes I never had this issue. I'm running this set up for over 1.5 years already

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
Yes, mine shows a varience of about 5-10% or so to the zeitronix guage reading (which is bang on) as i can swap meters (not run at the same time). Ive just let the tune reflect the limitation for now. I didnt have time to look into it but, do now so perhaps we can check voltage / e and calibrate the flex fuel box or at least check its firmware ?

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I can't speak for what is being added to a custom tune, but the OTS maps (either V8 or V9) should be using the same FF settings.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Hmm strange.. I've bought a original Continental FF sensor and my tuner is Ken.
Since I started to tank full E85 this problem appeared. Before on E30 and E50 mixes I never had this issue. I'm running this set up for over 1.5 years already

What does your ECA Voltage log as? Always include this in forum posts, monitor screenshots, and logs as it is required for troubleshooting.

Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I'm not saying this is anyone's root issue here, BUT, you may wish to vet this out. There is a crap ton of illegal fake rolex products pouring out of China like a sewer. That includes faux Continental sensors. Buying them from a supposedly reputable seller does not necessarily help - AMAZON is not a reputable seller. Amazon has told me directly they do nothing to ensure products sold from their warehouses (even fulfilled by Amazon) are not illegal fakes. Amazon relies on their 30 day return guarantee as their response - in other words, it's for you to determine if Amazon has tried to sell you illegal products.

I've seen posts from people in retail, having bought from their "usual supplier", where batch of Continental sensors show up, all with the same serial number.

So spark plugs, sensors, and anything else that matters (or doesn't, like batteries) - buy from a certified dealer that is getting stock directly from the source manufacture.

This stuff mostly comes from China. Not Taiwan. Not Japan. Not Indonesia. China.

Sorry to be so direct, but this is BS we are all putting up with, and in some cases, seemingly minor illegal counterfeit parts can cause catastrophic damage.

Filippo

It looks like E content above E60 is broken in MHD OTS V9 and all latest custom tunes from Wedge/Ken.

MHD V9 and recent custom tunes from Ken no longer report anything above E60. It can cause the CEL to turn on and throw oxigen sensor codes like 2C31 and 2C32 because the adapations cannot keep up when switching rapidly between lower and higher E content in the tank.

I managed to keep the codes away by resetting both lambda adapations a few minues after I filled the tank with a new E mix.

I flashed back to MHD OTS V8 and instantly i hit E68. Yet i cant remember ever seeying above E70 bieng reported.
I havent been able to start and drive the car yet with V8 but it looks better already.

I've seen more comments from Ken lately which do not make any sense at all. The latest one is that the E sensors need to be calibrated or something. Ofcourse this is utter bs.

I think we need to clear up some confusion here because your comments are not accurate, misleading and full of assumption. All OTS maps were provided to MHD as stand alone maps, not flex fuel. The OTS flex fuel maps are merged by MHD, I personally have nothing to do with the FF map creation or content reported within the OTS FF maps.

I will talk with @jyamona regarding the Interpolation logic as I think this might be a factor as to why you are seeing a cap on the ethanol % if Interpolation is scaled, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

One last comment, the OTS maps were calibrated for the specified ethanol content. Adding a Helix overdrive or making drastic changes to the ethanol content, to include higher ethanol content, will lead to mixed results with OTS maps as you have indicated. I do not see this as a shortcoming with the OTS maps as we do not recommend running a higher ethanol than specified.

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I'm not saying this is anyone's root issue here, BUT, you may wish to vet this out. There is a crap ton of illegal fake rolex products pouring out of China like a sewer. That includes faux Continental sensors. Buying them from a supposedly reputable seller does not necessarily help - AMAZON is not a reputable seller. Amazon has told me directly they do nothing to ensure products sold from their warehouses (even fulfilled by Amazon) are not illegal fakes. Amazon relies on their 30 day return guarantee as their response - in other words, it's for you to determine if Amazon has tried to sell you illegal products.

I've seen posts from people in retail, having bought from their "usual supplier", where batch of Continental sensors show up, all with the same serial number.

So spark plugs, sensors, and anything else that matters (or doesn't, like batteries) - buy from a certified dealer that is getting stock directly from the source manufacture.

This stuff mostly comes from China. Not Taiwan. Not Japan. Not Indonesia. China.

Sorry to be so direct, but this is BS we are all putting up with, and in some cases, seemingly minor illegal counterfeit parts can cause catastrophic damage.

Filippo
I agree with what you said, and have started to buy direct or from places the manufacture recommends. You have to do your home work to ensure you are not getting counterfeit things.
When I was trouble shooting my FF issue I made sure the new sensor was not counterfeit.

If you buy from Amazon, I think you should have the mindset to think it is going to be a fake.

• Agree
Reactions: NoQuarter

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
If you buy from Amazon, I think you should have the mindset to think it is going to be a fake.
Yes ... obviously fits their mission to be the most customer-centric company on Earth.

Filippo

rev210

Corporal
Feb 24, 2019
Ride
335i - 08 Coupe .
I will do the same shortly in the interest of science (screen shot the e and voltage) . My sensor is genuine and is very accurate when plugged into the zeitronix. Be good to see if we cant get the readings aligned and accurate but, the mystery is where the scaling is going off.

Reactions: fmorelli

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Just filled the car up again with some E85 and out of the sudden the E content increased. I am on holiday now so I can't test the ethanol content.

Jern54

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2019
Netherlands
Ride
E91 N54 335i
Screenshot_20200709-160025.jpg