N54 head work

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Sheesh, I don't strive for MAX HP with my car but making 'less effort' power sounds great. Head work has been far too expensive for me (but refreshing the head would be awesome)...

Cams, however, don't seem too bad to tackle.

Is this an extremely complicated job on N54 compared to engines like the LS? The cam setup in the N54 looks like black magic to me when I see the DIY guides for ledges and the like...

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This whole concept of boost being a measure of restriction is flawed, for as long as the turbo is operating in a reasonably efficient part its operating envelope I find it best to think of boost as a density multiplier on top of whatever the base engine puts out @ a pressure ratio of 1.
Maybe I don't understand something. My understanding is that the turbo in effect increases an engine's volumetric efficiency. Heat is a byproduct, amongst other things. The cylinder head design (all in) contributes to the motor's volumetric efficiency (NA or otherwise). By increasing the heads contribution to the motor's volumetric efficiency, for the same power, the turbos need to contribute a corresponding less amount of pressure to produce the same overall volumetric efficiency of the whole system.

Restriction is a tricky word, I surmise, since in some cases restriction contributes to volumetric efficiency ... for example too much valve overlap removes a restriction which reduces the engines capacity to produce power.

Maybe some aspect of what I said above is incorrect. That's the thinking from which my commentary was based. What do I have wrong?

Filippo

iminhell1

Sergeant
Jun 17, 2018
With DI, I'm not sure there is a too much overlap thing. In carb and PFI you'd be wasting fuel out the exhaust. But we don't have that problem.
So depending on how dirty you're burning, more overlap could be a good thing,,, force more of the junk out and make sure it's all fresh air. Give the EX valves a little more cooler air so you can push it harder. Getting to the point of Miller Cycle.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I just gave that as a general example of how restriction is not universally a detractor.

Filippo

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Sheesh, I don't strive for MAX HP with my car but making 'less effort' power sounds great. Head work has been far too expensive for me (but refreshing the head would be awesome)...

Cams, however, don't seem too bad to tackle.

Is this an extremely complicated job on N54 compared to engines like the LS? The cam setup in the N54 looks like black magic to me when I see the DIY guides for ledges and the like...

Installing the cams is not hard but not easy and bit of a special procedure, once you have all the tools it can be done in less than a day taking it easy.

Car note changes too, sounds like a GTR to me but not quite.

Having the same power output at a much lower psi is great which should make the engine far more reliable.

Need to finish the tune as the gearbox let go whilst logging the car for @V8bait.

We also had a few issues with on/off throttle hesitation which turned out to be the throttle body, we will be back to finishing the tune early next week hopefully as the gearbox arrived from germany.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Installing the cams is not hard but not easy and bit of a special procedure, once you have all the tools it can be done in less than a day taking it easy.

Car note changes too, sounds like a GTR to me but not quite.

Having the same power output at a much lower psi is great which should make the engine far more reliable.

Right. I thought those tools were obscenely expensive. Do you have a recommended brand that you used?

Sound changes and more torque down low would be great!

This is a cool thread; different approach to power instead of turbos. :)

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Alex, so you are saying your car is going to be slow as molasses? :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Fuel - the last frontier for DI guys :-D.

Filippo

Thinking about just going full bore and having PR rebuild my pump with a new 450 and 525 in reserve as secondary pump and using a mid pressure hobbs switch. I think I want a 8-11 psi switch. Dunno if that exists

Gonna change out the ekpm3 and venturi as well.

Hope I don't need a helix.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Based on the work @martymil (on the 535 [F90000295] Walbro pump) and @ajm8127 ongoing with the EKP, I'm shooting for a modified EKP running that pump. I really don't need the check valve anyway since E89 has no lpfp sensor, but the Fuelabs in-line filter can be ordered with a check valve for the lpfp sensor guys.

You'll probably be better off looking at the M18 performance solution which will hopefully make its way to market. I'm still holding out for the possibility of running the S55 pump setups @NoQuarter and I have sitting on the shelves. That project was begun and shepherded by @NoQuarter and some of the work was used as the genesis for the upcoming M18 dual HPFP (N55 2nd pump) by @bahn & @jyamona .

Filippo

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Maybe I don't understand something. My understanding is that the turbo in effect increases an engine's volumetric efficiency. Heat is a byproduct, amongst other things. The cylinder head design (all in) contributes to the motor's volumetric efficiency (NA or otherwise). By increasing the heads contribution to the motor's volumetric efficiency, for the same power, the turbos need to contribute a corresponding less amount of pressure to produce the same overall volumetric efficiency of the whole system.

Restriction is a tricky word, I surmise, since in some cases restriction contributes to volumetric efficiency ... for example too much valve overlap removes a restriction which reduces the engines capacity to produce power.

Maybe some aspect of what I said above is incorrect. That's the thinking from which my commentary was based. What do I have wrong?

Filippo

Yes.

So everywhere there's restriction on the inlet side, it's going to create heat before getting to the cylinder. Then on the way out we are wanting to clear the dirty contents as best we can for the next refill. Exhaust valve, cats, exhaust, muffler etc.

So if we can fill the cylinder efficiently, burn efficiently and empty the cylinder efficiently then all good. Lower charge temps will mean less need for exotic fuels due to knock. If the turbos also don't feel like they are pushing against a wall for moving the same volume of air then they will be cooler and happier. In simple terms more air through the engine means more opportunity to burn more fuel and make more power.

Look forward to hearing about your results Filippo.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I'll have to read up on pumps and EKP options before I jump into fueling fixes then.

Honestly, the low pressure fueling on the N54 is hot garbage.

S55 hpfp is a great idea. Highly doubt I'll need a high P solution unless I decide to run higher than 93 octane.

Based on the work @martymil (on the 535 [F90000295] Walbro pump) and @ajm8127 ongoing with the EKP, I'm shooting for a modified EKP running that pump. I really don't need the check valve anyway since E89 has no lpfp sensor, but the Fuelabs in-line filter can be ordered with a check valve for the lpfp sensor guys.

You'll probably be better off looking at the M18 performance solution which will hopefully make its way to market. I'm still holding out for the possibility of running the S55 pump setups @NoQuarter and I have sitting on the shelves. That project was begun and shepherded by @NoQuarter and some of the work was used as the genesis for the upcoming M18 dual HPFP (N55 2nd pump) by @bahn & @jyamona .

Filippo

Reactions: derekgates

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I apologize for not contributing to the forward motion of the discussion, but since I haven't posted in a while nor seen the progress made recently I just wanted to say I'm excited things are coming together for you now @fmorelli !

I too had planned on using the cams as a way for more efficency rather than maxing out HP potential, but I would've left the rest of the head alone - glad to see you're going the extra mile on that front and putting them to better use than I would've. Excited to see the real-world end result.

Reactions: derekgates

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
With cams, stock head and and 9.5 comp on 21 psi I'm struggling with grip, would love to see how you will tackle this monster.

MDORPHN

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Ride
BMW 1M
With cams, stock head and and 9.5 comp on 21 psi I'm struggling with grip, would love to see how you will tackle this monster.

"t will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear”

– Too much power is never enough….Mark Donohue on the Can Am Porsche 917.

Neil