N54 head work

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
thread bump - @fmorelli did you ever get your cylinder head done? Also, how many people have done the N53 head. I would love to do it, but I suspect the modification for the n54 and the manifold change will make it cost prohibitive.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
@ShocknAwe Has done it believe

Correct. Was worth it to me. But yeah big bucks and a big tuning headache, flows so well ended up having lots of low load throttle closures I had to self tune to get rid of, on 20+ revisions of my own work and getting close to settling it out.

With N53 you'll also forever need custom turbofolds or a single kit built off a N53 exhaust flange. It's a niche setup.

I do have my stock N54 head laying around for anyone who wants to go the custom port route like Filippo and others. If going N53, I'd strongly recommend the kit from Omar (Hydra HP800), it's already set and ready to go.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
thread bump - @fmorelli did you ever get your cylinder head done? Also, how many people have done the N53 head. I would love to do it, but I suspect the modification for the n54 and the manifold change will make it cost prohibitive.
So my car has been mothballed in storage for 13 months. I ended up buying a head on eBay, sending it straight to Tony Salloum @ VAC. He did a CNC stage whatever, and I had him CNC cut the valve angles. At this point the car is mothballed, a large pile of N54 drivetrain parts are in a steel storage container sucking A/C in some remote industrial warehouse.

Honestly if I did it again, when I ordered my turbos from Hydra, I would have manned up and ordered an N53 head with it. I think it was a pretty fair deal back then. I was just chimping out on the growing costs.

• Sad
Reactions: Torgus

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
After building my car and seen a few get built and helped sort out, to tell you the truth I wouldn't bother doing it again.

Save the money and do something else to your cars.

Waste of money.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I had my head ported professionally. And hell what a difference. For me a must do. You can run shittier fuel with way more timing and the engine is happy.
Yep. The stock heads are very small, and were done that way for the performance characteristics BMW was trying to achieve moving from NA to turbo motors. For making more power, etc, not what's needed.

Reactions: JohnDaviz

SLOWESTN54

Captain
Feb 9, 2021
B.C. Canada
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I had my head ported professionally. And hell what a difference. For me a must do. You can run shittier fuel with way more timing and the engine is happy.
John can you explain how a ported head allows you to run less octane Fuels? Not saying your wrong genuinely curious how it works

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Ported head has nothing to do with the combustion cycle, it only allows for more air and fuel movement.

The only way you can run more timing and shittier fuel is running lower compression or decrease the boost and up the timing resulting in the same hp output due to the higher flow of the head.

No matter what you have to sacrifice boost or compression to run shittier fuel but hp can be gained back by altering the duration and lift of cams or a ported head but at a cost of both or either already mentioned.