N54 DCT w/M3 Conversion

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

:laugh: Well... it was a bit of a shock to see xHP come out and have 95% of the outcomes I was hoping for... holy hell it was worth the pain.

I can imagine that BMW did this same setup with the 335is and couldn't let it go to market because it destroys the M3. hahaha

Oh that's horrible. You should just have that car crushed NOW and start all over again :tearsofjoy: :grin:

Filippo

Oh you have me wanting to do that with the incredible Z4 work you have been working on... and @NoQuarter ... and @Lurcher ... I have strongly considered starting from a different chassis a few times! :)

[EDIT] Oh... I am contacting RB about some Game Finishers. Oil pan, valve cover (w/ head plugging), cooling system change over... oh yes.

Reactions: aus335iguy

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Minor update... I kept getting weird grinding noises with slow speed turns and have been worried that the diff is dead... Turns out this has been a problem since the E46 diffs (due to clutch packs and fluid type). I checked fluid in diff and it came rushing out of fill hole so I didn't replace with the friction modifier bottles I have in garage. Maybe it *doesn't* have that in the diff already?

BMW had TSB when E90/E92 M3 came out which includes fluid change and tight circle driving/600 mi to get rid of that grinding/clunking noise...

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722833 (has TSB)

Otherwise car seems great. Has usual N54 issues (leaks, noises, clunks) and needs new turbos. Might make a thread for the car but I've done a lot since 2014... haha

Now to decide between:

- RB Game Finishers (~$3450)

or

- RB Two Pluses ~($2150). 🤔

Reactions: Begood69

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
@derekgates the coding guide was rough and ready when it was first released. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. I have the word version somewhere need to make sure it’s ready for others who have inbound parts ;)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
@derekgates the coding guide was rough and ready when it was first released. Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated. I have the word version somewhere need to make sure it’s ready for others who have inbound parts ;)

Yeah it was quite a while ago!

The main things I ran into was not having a quick guide for NCS Expert (F1 F3, E89, blah blah blah) which meant I had to watch YouTube of @LMB335is and slowed me down.. then the VO module 'defaulting' wasn't listed which would be great to have as well (turn off FSW/MAN processing when 'SG_CODERIN' each module). My car needed multiple modules 'defaulted', which might impact others.

I think other additions to the guide is 'what to expect' for various levels of hardware. Not sure we ever sorted that out? I haven't tested LC but I can get the 6 bars of "M"...

[EDIT]: Totally forgot about the -2TC tripping me up; the '-' need to be '$' ... Remove $2TC instead of Remove -2TC

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABPZYCf939RBL7IRyJTsExp-V5TGQdUfTl0/ Here are my collected notes that got me through the work... it's all from here and @LMB335is

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Have groaning noises with the diff. Changed fluid to ensure it was FM type and to ensure intervals are being adhered to...

IMG_2168.JPEG
IMG_2171.JPEG
IMG_2173.JPEG

FM Booster BMW fluid, magnetic drain plug and new fill plug.

IMG_2174.JPEG

Yeah, that was nasty fluid. Wow.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
@derekgates How much did you have to shorten the m3 driveshaft to weld the dct flange on?

> I included the 'transmission side' of the 335i shaft for the flange (left the back-half to reduce weight). 62cm from trans flange to center bearing is what I measured on my car, it is written on the M3 shaft in white marker. The 335i center bearing is in there as well as the bearing that goes into the flange itself.

So, 62mm to the center bearing from trans flange. It was the same as @LMB335is

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
People think that m3 diff fluid is lifetime and just because they don't drive hard it doesn't need changing,I change mine very 15000 km.

It's not really that expensive, i spend more on engine oil every 5k.

Consider your self lucky I've seen oil that came out like tar and had to flush it with mineral engine oil.

Its surprising the lack of maintenance on most m3's especially by BMW.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
People think that m3 diff fluid is lifetime and just because they don't drive hard it doesn't need changing,I change mine very 15000 km.

It's not really that expensive, i spend more on engine oil every 5k.

Consider your self lucky I've seen oil that came out like tar and had to flush it with mineral engine oil.

Its surprising the lack of maintenance on most m3's especially by BMW.

Yeaaap I am with you! This was the first thing I did after the install but wasn't expecting the level of wear. My diff was making some fierce noises on low speed turns.

I am also on a schedule with the DCT fluid.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Some years ago a few boys where complaining about the m3 diffs making noises with less than 30k on them, I always made them change the oil.

Some where thinking it was smart to go aftermarket fluid to come back because it was still grinding till I made them change to BMW stuff and after a few figure 8 maneuvers at full lock they went away.

Love the BMW maintenance schedule like a hot poker in the eye, they are either dumb as shit or crooked as fuck to rob you of your hard earned.

Jeep is no better, don't get me started on those losers.

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
MDM button is wired straight through to the DSC on M3. It’s likely at the beginning of this thread or issues thread. From memory pin 63 or 64???
MDM? I thought was still was not working? If it is DSC OFF is on 43 pin i thought. (On off on m3dsc only) but if i missed something on mdm, im interested too. Thx u. Finally have time to work on the last lil things bfore heading for a 1200-1300whp this month. On e85 from the gas station no special fuel or NOS.

kylerwinters

Lurker
May 25, 2019
Ride
335xi
I pinned out my MDM button and the pinout is as follows:
PinUsageNote
1Ground
2Terminal 58gDimmed instrument lighting
3M Power Button Light12v Input
4M Power ButtonGround When Pressed
5NOT USED
6DSC ButtonGround When Pressed
7EDC ButtonGround When Pressed
8EDC Button Light 1(left)12v Input
9EDC Button Light 2(right)12v Input
10NOT USED

Tags for the next guy: Centre console switch - S0241, Connector - X4444. MDM button pinout.
CUBPNBdZ.png

kylerwinters

Lurker
May 25, 2019
Ride
335xi
MDM? I thought was still was not working? If it is DSC OFF is on 43 pin i thought. (On off on m3dsc only) but if i missed something on mdm, im interested too. Thx u. Finally have time to work on the last lil things bfore heading for a 1200-1300whp this month. On e85 from the gas station no special fuel or NOS.
This is going in my LS and DCT swapped 335i. It's using a Maxxecu which has e92 M3 OEM CANBUS support. MDM should be a feature that still works.

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Hey guys... I also did a E92 M3 GTS DCT swap into my E92 335i (09/2009) racecar.
A friend of mine did the coding.
Everthing working fine just the manual shifting is not working.

Is someone action on that thread who is able to help me out.
A lot of hours went into this build but now i'm not able to move on.
I would share some more details if some think that he can help me out.

I would be very thankful!

Best regards from germany
Wolfgang

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The paddles arent working ? Is the shifter working ?
It could just be a case of rewiring the paddles. MY09.5 model came with DCT standard but is a bit of a unicorn in terms of wiring.

mspwerk

Private
Sep 9, 2022
Hi…

Shifting (paddles and gws) works just on the first start as long as im standing. I can shift from 1->2 gear and back 2->1.

When i start driving the shifting on manual is not working. Also when i stop again… Like its blocked as soon as i start driving for the first time…