Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Hey look it is Billy Bad Ass stock turbo guy chiming in about his beefcake 425whp N54.

We've looked at your charts before, here is what we see in layman terms for you:
1) You made good delta up to 5500rpm. Nice. Off to a sweet start.
2) Then you made damn near identical everything from 5500rpm to 7000rpm, only a very marginal increase post outlets in that upper RPM band.

With this and a little common sense we can deduce that the OE outlets, which are thought to (and will at some point obviously greater than OE turbo potentials) impede flow; are holding up very well as they are flowing very close to the same figures in terms of power output where the airflow demand is the HIGHEST in the upper RPM band.

On top of this we have had much clientele over the years and many guys in the low-mid 5xx whp range. Many of them big time drag racers and the like, have found next to no gains in that range. Even into the higher 5xx whp to lower 6xx whp ranges, the traps are only marginally better. Most of the records you will see online, from ourselves and other turbo vendors, are actually all running the OE outlets. All stated if you are making small power, like yourself for example, this is a mod than can be overlooked for quite some time. Not just based on the one lame duck paper race case that you present, but based on hundreds of real world drag racing over years.

In a nutshell the consumer can feel free to spend their money elsewhere until they get to the point where it is warranted, with that we have laid out some basic power ranges where we would consider such things.

Rob
I cant like this, the admin’s censorship stops me.my hand has been slapped lol

Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wouldn't do welding even if it was easy. This outlet works best being able to work with it in 2 pieces. I would try a clamp on metal flex pipe of some sort I think.
I don't see a stainless steel pipe deforming enough to seal. Looks like silicone is the answer. @BQTuning link to the red coupler?

Filippo

Kennejp

Jul 7, 2017
Ride
07 e92 335i , 08 135i
Guys it’s actually really simple I’ve installed every set of silicone outlets on customer cars and I’ve NEVER had a problem after wrapping them. I wrap them double in several places and add shields if needed. It’s common sense if the silicon is near/on a glowing hot manifold it will melt. Installed 10+ sets of MMPs and no issues. Wrap it up boys and you won’t have a problem!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I hear you. But if you look where mine was, it split wide open and didn't burn. Not close to any exhaust, relatively speaking.

Filippo

Reactions: Rob09msport

Eugene@MMP

Lurker
Nov 22, 2017
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
Very simple if you do not get the necessary clearances clearly stated in the install guides, they are gonna burn. I dont care who's Silicone products you are installing, it amazes me the amount of people that send me pictures of the outlet touching the manifold and say its the products fault. When are these vender bashing posts gonna stop. Learn how to research or get a mechanic that knows what he is doing to install them.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Very simple if you do not get the necessary clearances clearly stated in the install guides, they are gonna burn. I dont care who's Silicone products you are installing, it amazes me the amount of people that send me pictures of the outlet touching the manifold and say its the products fault. When are these vender bashing posts gonna stop. Learn how to research or get a mechanic that knows what he is doing to install them.
To whom are you referring, @Eugene@MMP ? @barry@3DM and I actually spoke with Mauricio twice when we did the install, as I was one of the first people to run the new batch of MMP outlets. Look at the photo - plenty of clearance. No signs of burning - just plain split in two. Care to comment? Would you like additional photos? Glad to oblige, just say the word.

Filippo

IMG_20180726_151850-1.jpg

Eugene@MMP

Lurker
Nov 22, 2017
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
You can stir the pot all you want, if you supplied pics of the outlet taken off to see what really happened and it was a manufacturing issue it gets replaced. if its burnt thats on your install.

• Dumb
Reactions: fredcase

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
When are these vender bashing posts gonna stop. Learn how to research or get a mechanic that knows what he is doing to install them.
I don't think @fmorelli has ever made a post on here that would qualify as "vendor bashing" - shit, the man has literally guided an entire product's user base on how to fix a faulty product rather than just dismissing it entirely. Even that vendor has thanked him and said they're going to use his feedback to improve their product. Telling these guys "the reason your outlets melted is because of touching the manifold due to install error" is a perfect example of the stereotype about mmp's customer service. Its almost hilarious, but it's gonna cost these guys a couple hundred bucks so it's really not.

When they say and have pictures of their outlets splitting (i.e: not melting) and being far from the manifold is like if those mall kiosks who sell fake light-up yeezy's told their customers the reason the leds went out is because the person walks funny, when the customer is asking why the entire sole fell off after an hour. But then again I guess MMP likes to demonstrate they are the mall kiosk of N54 vendors.

It's such a shame that rather than sucking it up and being a good business some people would rather scam the customers who put trust in them out of significant chunks of money.

• Funny
Reactions: veer90

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
They split and blow out. It is Low grade material. Ive worked with silicone materials that can withstand lp gas torch,and it doesn’t burn.They split open. The previous design had aluminum pipes, and cheap ass silicone also.I get it, some split and some don’t. However, it is not fair to write off all of our issues as user error, and pretend these things dont blow up

• Agree

Eugene@MMP

Lurker
Nov 22, 2017
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
PanzerFaust, I am sure you to me out of context here, I didnt name anyone as the vender basher here. It was just a relative comment regarding how venders only get the bash(this includes all venders, no one gets out alive) nothing else on these forums. As for the the outlet popping I took over as Customer Service Manager in October of 2017, I can assure you the ship is being run in a proper manner when it comes to warranty claims. Detailed Pics must be sent in AFTER the product is removed to show the whole story. For me its a simple deal, if its a pop from a manufacturing issue I replace it immediately, if it is popped from a burn, I offer a replacement at a discount to anyone who purchased the product directly through our supply chain. Second hand sales do not count. I keep hearing people talking about stuff that happened with MMP a year to 2 years ago still being brought up as if it happened today. I want to let everyone know that this Company is running in a totally different direction compared to then in the customer service dept. FYI

• Dumb

Eugene@MMP

Lurker
Nov 22, 2017
Ride
2007 Bmw 335i
They split and blow out. It is Low grade material. Ive worked with silicone materials that can withstand lp gas torch,and it doesn’t burn.They split open. The previous design had aluminum pipes, and cheap ass silicone also.I get it, some split and some don’t. However, it is not fair to write off all of our issues as user error, and pretend these things dont blow up
Again if anyone has an issue please contact me directly at the customer service emails, phone number or messenger. I am here to help with any problem. And Again if it is a manufacturing defect it will be replaced free of charge period.

• Dumb

BQTuning

Corporal
Jul 18, 2017
www.bqtuning.com
Ride
E89 Z4 35i 6MT M Sport
  • Informative
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Eugene@MMP - let me please address this commentary, since it was significantly in response to my comments:
I hear you. But if you look where mine was, it split wide open and didn't burn. Not close to any exhaust, relatively speaking.

Very simple if you do not get the necessary clearances clearly stated in the install guides, they are gonna burn.
A few points of order:
  1. Our MMP inlets and outlet never came with instructions. Hence why we interacted with Mauricio during the install. BTW Mauricio was very nice, quick, and helpful. But again to your assertion, there were no install guides with our outlet and hence, to your words, nothing "clear" regarding clearances. We applied common sense.
  2. We received a 1.5" x 2" approximate size silver heat shield patch, I suppose one might call it. We placed it where it most obviously blocked close proximity to the exhaust manifold. BTW, the failure is nowhere close to the heat spot. As the photo shows, the failure is a simple lateral material split in the middle of the tube.
Learn how to research or get a mechanic that knows what he is doing to install them.
I understand that you might choose to call in to question our experience, and that you don't know us. It's not something I normally address, but given the circumstances and how you've called our competence into question, I'll provide some information. I co-built the car in question with Barry Battle. @barry@3DM co-founded bimmerworld, co-founded RRT (Road Race Technologies), and was responsible for building and racing cars in the Grand Am series. He was the technical co-founder of both, to be clear. I've run two automotive related businesses, spent 6 years working in two IMSA race teams - built everything from road race showroom stock cars to body bucks and chrome moly tube frame GT cars. Spent lots of time building cars that competed in road race endurance between 4 to 24 hours. Was just at the Brickyard last fall as the head wrench for a GT3 car at the Runoffs.

There are people here that know way more than I do, and probably have way more experience as well. But that said, I believe it is safe to say that the MMP outlet installation was accomplished without tremendous difficulty given our combined experience.

I'd also go so far to say that anyone with reasonable N54 knowledge could look at the photo I posted, the location of the break, know the proximities in play, examine the split and easily deduce that a "bad install" hasn't got anything to do with the failure. Frankly it is a bizarre failure, but maybe what happened will become more obvious once I pull the outlet. Ironically I had been periodically inspecting the outlet and in 7,500 miles had seen no signs of issues, albeit I was inspecting it while on the car by touch and sight.

To whom are you referring, @Eugene@MMP ? @barry@3DM and I actually spoke with Mauricio twice when we did the install, as I was one of the first people to run the new batch of MMP outlets. Look at the photo - plenty of clearance. No signs of burning - just plain split in two. Care to comment? Would you like additional photos? Glad to oblige, just say the word.
Above I let you know that we originally spoke with Mauricio, and that there is plenty of clearance, no burning, and a split outlet. I offered to provide more photos if they were helpful. It just seems that, as the vendor, that could be useful product development feedback.
You can stir the pot all you want, if you supplied pics of the outlet taken off to see what really happened and it was a manufacturing issue it gets replaced. if its burnt thats on your install.
I didn't ask for a refund. I didn't ask for a warranty. I didn't ask for freebies. I offered information and also offered to provide additional information. If you would like photos of the outlet when off the car, more than happy to provide them to you. If you'd like I'll even send it back for your all's product development analysis.

IMO the photo I posted is actually more valuable than off-car photos, as in-car shows the failure with the outlet installed so one can see EXACTLY where it is installed. Nonetheless I'm glad to provide additional photos if you find it useful.

Not everyone is out to get you. But I'm sure you can imagine it is frustrating when something blows and one's car is stranded for several weeks. I ordered PSP aluminum hard pipe which I expect may have some greater reliability than silicone as a general rule of thumb. Murphy's law says I'll probably get proven wrong.

BTW, @Eugene@MMP , Barry and I designed and fabricated in the machine shop a bracket to hold the front MMP inlet so it does not dangle loosely in front of the engine. Also a simple strain relief Adel clamp was affixed to the front of the motor to route and stabilize the MMP inlet so as not to flop around and hit the drive system. Some of these items could be good product add-on order options (an install kit for instance) and create a far more reliable, practical, and elegant installation IMO. I actually have no idea what MMP recommends for installation of the inlets since we never saw instructions. Maybe you all have this kind of stuff available now. Anyway I would have gladly paid for these items instead of having to design and fabricate them - we felt the dangling inlet was an issue worth taking the time and cost to address.

Filippo

IMG_20160928_105056.jpg
IMG_20160928_105050.jpg
IMG_20160928_105123.jpg

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Silicone is def a very controversial subject on this platform but i didn't think anyone was bashing anyone just sharing what happened. I do agree that their are some witch hunts but for some reason i don't recall any pr or rb issues and i think the one i read about vtt was admitted to be installer error. I know that this is an outlet but i think it's fair to group silicone aftermarket products together as far as the subject of quality control.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Guys it’s actually really simple I’ve installed every set of silicone outlets on customer cars and I’ve NEVER had a problem after wrapping them. I wrap them double in several places and add shields if needed. It’s common sense if the silicon is near/on a glowing hot manifold it will melt. Installed 10+ sets of MMPs and no issues. Wrap it up boys and you won’t have a problem!
All im gonna say is 3 Post's ever and 2 are defending mmp saying how they are the best and you install all their products. Also before this last login was jan 13th ?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
All im gonna say is 3 Post's ever and 2 are defending mmp saying how they are the best and you install all their products. Also before this last login was jan 13th ?

A bit fishy if you ask me ;)

If the product needs to be wrapped, have heat shields made etc. It should come from the manufacturer that way. Period.

Why would some outlet installs @Kennjp need shields and others not?

FWIW using silicone there in the 1st place is bad news. I don't see why anyone would buy anything but the PSP aluminum outlet. Best outlet on the market and outlets are small money at the end of the day. No reason to not get the best.

Reactions: Dusty Waterfall
Status
Not open for further replies.