Motiv Flex Fuel vs Bluetooth

allCAPS55

Jun 13, 2018
Ride
2009 e92 335i
I’d like to get everyone’s opinions on whether the motiv flex fuel module through MHD is worth it or if simply having a Bluetooth read out through spool performance of fuel it is sufficient. Also wondering if the motiv module allows for automatic switching between custom tunes or simply the OTS maps.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: allCAPS55

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
I’d like to get everyone’s opinions on whether the motiv flex fuel module through MHD is worth it or if simply having a Bluetooth read out through spool performance of fuel it is sufficient. Also wondering if the motiv module allows for automatic switching between custom tunes or simply the OTS maps.
The point of the module is auto adjustment, if you don’t value that then just knowing your content read out is enough

and of course if can be custom tuned

Reactions: allCAPS55

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
I prefer flex fuel for the simple reason I don't have to worry about what map I'm on or try to target a certain E%. Where I live the e85 pumps are at just under 70% year round. I normally just use that. If I go on a road trip and want to put 91 in for gas mileage I can no prob.

allCAPS55

Jun 13, 2018
Ride
2009 e92 335i
I prefer flex fuel for the simple reason I don't have to worry about what map I'm on or try to target a certain E%. Where I live the e85 pumps are at just under 70% year round. I normally just use that. If I go on a road trip and want to put 91 in for gas mileage I can no prob.
That makes sense. Sounds like It really is worth it. That’s probably what I’m going to end up doing as well as I believe my e85 is 70% too and the 91 here seems to be crap

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I forgot JB4 can do it. I am not sure how well it works as I have never heard any feedback on it.

Jb4 can only kinda do it. Jb4 can only directly adjust boost targets. It might adjust timing by altering the reported load to hit different cells and it can influence fueling by biasing signals, but it's not nearly the same as directly changing the calibration in the flash based on ethanol content. Jb4 would benefit from motiv flex fuel as well.

It's not all that difficult to flash different maps and the car can function great despite ethanol content swings pretty well depending on your setup and tuning though, so it's not a big deal for many people. Convenience is really great for others.

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Flex fuel is probably one of the better deals on this platform. Price is reasonable, I was one of the first public buyers, and it worked OUT OF THE GATE (props to @jyamona and Motiv), and it's convenience is well worth the price. Especially since I tend to ramp down ethanol as we head toward cold weather (no point in keeping that in the fuel system) and ramp back up in the spring.

Filippo

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
Jb4 can only kinda do it. Jb4 can only directly adjust boost targets. It might adjust timing by altering the reported load to hit different cells and it can influence fueling by biasing signals, but it's not nearly the same as directly changing the calibration in the flash based on ethanol content. Jb4 would benefit from motiv flex fuel as well.

It's not all that difficult to flash different maps and the car can function great despite ethanol content swings pretty well depending on your setup and tuning though, so it's not a big deal for many people. Convenience is really great for others.
That is what I thought, its not true FF. I don't want to add more complexity to my car then I already have.
Flex fuel is probably one of the better deals on this platform. Price is reasonable, I was one of the first public buyers, and it worked OUT OF THE GATE (props to @jyamona and Motiv), and it's convenience is well worth the price. Especially since I tend to ramp down ethanol as we head toward cold weather (no point in keeping that in the fuel system) and ramp back up in the spring.

Filippo
My Motive FF system worked great for almost two years and now I can't get it to work even after working with Motive since September (few months off for Winter).
At this point every part of the FF system has been changed on my car from the Wiring harness, FF module and Sensor. As well as trying new power and ground locations.

Having FF is my favorite mod with the exception of the bigger turbos but I am ready to throw in the towel with it and just get an E60 map and try and mix close to it.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

MRC-5.56

Lurker
Nov 24, 2017
Ride
e92 335i
JB4 can now integrate the Motiv FlexFuel box like MHD users. There is now BMS backend flashes tailored to the flexfuel module. I recently talked to a gentleman on a facebook N54 group and he has been successfully using it on a hybrid twin turbo car. I beleive users have to reach out to Terry for the backend flashes as they are in BETA testing.

Reactions: BreakMyBillfold

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
FYI you can feed any flex fuel 0-5v signal input in to the ECU you want using the MHD flex flash time option. Most of our customers run the Fuel-IT kit but we have scalaing for the Motiv kit as well. And we have JB4 BEF maps with the table blending enabled to make setup easy.

Twinz

Lurker
Apr 19, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Ride
335i RWD
I have been running the Fuelit/Motive module/Jb4/Jb4 BEF for 8months now. Thanks Terry. Its running great.

I first ran the full Motive FF kit with the Jb4/Jb4 BEF. And than tested the Fuelit FF kit with the motive module with Jb4/Jb4 BEF.

Both worked great so i kept the Fuelit FF kit installed. Lockdown has obviously not allowed further testing of newer FF BEF's but hopefully by August 2020, i will try new flash tweaks that BMS may have developed.

Reactions: BreakMyBillfold

1dirty5

Jun 13, 2020
I have just ordered the Fuel it Flex Fuel kit from BMS...:) So are the maps readily available in order to run different mixtures at any given time?
sorry, I am fairly new at all this...

Reactions: Terry@BMS