MMP outlet

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Would like to give credit where it is due. On the now dead thread, My poor outlet install caught up with me, a few of us discussed MMP outlet failures. I would have posted there but alas ...

I took photos of my Z4 MMP outlet failure, sent them to @Eugene@MMP as he requested. About ten days later I had a new outlet on my doorstep for the cost of shipping. Appreciate the customer support and when vendors stand behind their products.

In the interim, I decided to buy the PSP aluminum outlet, ordered turbosmart clamps and HPS aramid coupler. Unfortunately half way into the install (and the bitch of the install - the front pipe assembly), discovered that they sent me the E90 pipe not the 1er/Z4 pipe (different rear pipe). PSP has no idea when they'll have the aluminum pipes back in stock ... so now pulling that back off the front pipe so I can send it all back and get a refund.

Filippo

Last edited:

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Why do they have no idea? Is that code for we have not ordered any more

Crystalline

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
AZ
Ride
E90 335i
Why do they have no idea? Is that code for we have not ordered any more

I think so, I asked them about a month and a half ago and they said no ETA. Now that VRSF has "developed one" that sells for significantly less there may not be much incentive for them to restock it...

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Hmm interesting I would be more likely to buy theirs because i heard the fitment was better than vsrf

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The PSP still seems to be the best solution and is small money when you factor everything in. That being said VRSF makes good quality products at a fair price, hence why they do so well in the aftermarket community.

Reactions: fmorelli

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
@fmorelli, I completely agree with you on mmp's customer service. I had an excellent, excellent, excellent experience with both @Eugene@MMP and @MMP (Mauricio) when getting my turbos and any questions I had. Their reputation may have started off rough back in the day (mostly spurred on by other vendors imo, if you go back and look at the threads on e90) but I would probably say they're the gold standard in N54 customer service to me now, especially in regards to response time.

I actually bought the PSP outlets also (but the 2" ones, since I went 1K's) as they were advertised as working for "upgraded size turbos" and turns out... PSP "doesn't officially support the 1Ks" which was a surprise to me cause I thought I had discussed my route with them prior to ordering but oh well. My shop ended up getting them to fit perfectly (if very, very snug) in the end so I have no complaints about the product themselves and completely agree about the quality of the hardware. It was very clean, lightweight and consistent which is about all you can ask for with outlets I suppose.

IMG_41171.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: langsbr

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Would like to give credit where it is due. On the now dead thread, My poor outlet install caught up with me, a few of us discussed MMP outlet failures. I would have posted there but alas ...

I took photos of my Z4 MMP outlet failure, sent them to @Eugene@MMP as he requested. About ten days later I had a new outlet on my doorstep for the cost of shipping. Appreciate the customer support and when vendors stand behind their products.

In the interim, I decided to buy the PSP aluminum outlet, ordered turbosmart clamps and HPS aramid coupler. Unfortunately half way into the install (and the bitch of the install - the front pipe assembly), discovered that they sent me the E90 pipe not the 1er/Z4 pipe (different rear pipe). PSP has no idea when they'll have the aluminum pipes back in stock ... so now pulling that back off the front pipe so I can send it all back and get a refund.

Filippo

Holy shit dude...

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@fmorelli, I completely agree with you on mmp's customer service. I had an excellent, excellent, excellent experience with both @Eugene@MMP and @MMP (Mauricio) when getting my turbos and any questions I had. Their reputation may have started off rough back in the day (mostly spurred on by other vendors imo, if you go back and look at the threads on e90) but I would probably say they're the gold standard in N54 customer service to me now, especially in regards to response time.
All I can do is relate my experiences. I was one of the first people running the Z4 outlet. Mauricio gave me his phone number and asked that I called if I had any install questions. He always promptly responded to emails. That's been my experience.

I don't know if the outlet had a material issue, but unfortunately the 4" split showed no sign of damage or heat issue - simply looked like it couldn't hold the pressure, but that's my speculation. Who knows.

@Panzerfaust do you know if MMP is balancing turbos in-house yet or have any plans to do so?

Filippo

Crystalline

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
AZ
Ride
E90 335i
The PSP still seems to be the best solution and is small money when you factor everything in. That being said VRSF makes good quality products at a fair price, hence why they do so well in the aftermarket community.

I took some pictures of the welds on my VRSF outlet for everyone to see. The weld down in the pipe on the bent section was pretty bad (large jagged edges) but ~5min with a file made it significantly better (the picture is post filing). The welds in the merge look good enough to me but other people here will know better than I do.

Like I said I tried to order the PSP outlet first but they never restocked them...

Attachments

• merge close.jpg
    merge close.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 230
  • merge far.jpg
    merge far.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 223
  • bend weld.jpg
    bend weld.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
I took some pictures of the welds on my VRSF outlet for everyone to see. The weld down in the pipe on the bent section was pretty bad (large jagged edges) but ~5min with a file made it significantly better (the picture is post filing). The welds in the merge look good enough to me but other people here will know better than I do.

Like I said I tried to order the PSP outlet first but they never restocked them...

Hi, uh, turbulence? I'd like to order a large can of cheap ass welds and a pizza. Deliver it to 69 I Like to Spend Time Fixing Your Broke Shit Product Rd, WTF, USA

• Funny
Reactions: Optigrab

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
All I can do is relate my experiences. I was one of the first people running the Z4 outlet. Mauricio gave me his phone number and asked that I called if I had any install questions. He always promptly responded to emails. That's been my experience.

I don't know if the outlet had a material issue, but unfortunately the 4" split showed no sign of damage or heat issue - simply looked like it couldn't hold the pressure, but that's my speculation. Who knows.

@Panzerfaust do you know if MMP is balancing turbos in-house yet or have any plans to do so?

Filippo
I didn't have his phone number, we did most of our communication through FB messages but at times he would send a voice message where I could hear he was very obviously actively working on something but still wanted to take the time to answer me so he recorded an answer instead of typing. I think most in that situation would either ignore my message until they could type, or just say they're busy, so he earned lots of points in my book from that.

As far as the balancing in-house thing goes, yes I believe so - or maybe they've at least partnered with someone "local" who's more than capable of doing it - because one of his messages to me was that they were currently balancing turbos and then were going to begin assembly.

They've also started to offer inspection and refurbishing of turbos, which I can't imagine would be possible if they were relying on "China balancing". Not to mention the two year warranty - I believe they're the only ones offering that, and if the claims of some other vendors were true, they certainly *couldn't* warranty turbos for that long could they?

Hi, uh, turbulence? I'd like to order a large can of cheap ass welds and a pizza. Deliver it to 69 I Like to Spend Time Fixing Your Broke Shit Product Rd, WTF, USA
Yikes, yeah, the PSP outlets were absolutely beautiful compared to that. I have some VRSF stuff myself, and I understand why some would order those outlets over the PSP but holy cow. While I was a little upset about being mislead with the PSP outlets fitting 1K's "out of the box", they at least were perfectly cylindrical and smooth inside.

Reactions: Crystalline

Crystalline

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
AZ
Ride
E90 335i
Yikes, yeah, the PSP outlets were absolutely beautiful compared to that. I have some VRSF stuff myself, and I understand why some would order those outlets over the PSP but holy cow. While I was a little upset about being mislead with the PSP outlets fitting 1K's "out of the box", they at least were perfectly cylindrical and smooth inside.

It was slightly disappointing, I could return it still of course (it has not been installed yet) but there is no alternative product to replace it with. While the main merge isn't as pretty as PSP I don't see anything that would create turbulence. The weld in the bend of the pipe on the other hand...that is the one that concerns me.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra

Filippo

Pretty easy to get an answer on these things thanks to balancing reports. The big glory of these reports is that they illustrate how not all balancing is created equal. We can "balance" a turbo in 30 seconds, or 30 minutes, or more; it just depends on how well you want it balanced. The report will tell it all, and anyone who has the machinery should be sending a report for each unit that they ever produce such that the end user need not guess about such things.

Rob

Crystalline

Lurker
Sep 24, 2018
AZ
Ride
E90 335i
It was slightly disappointing, I could return it still of course (it has not been installed yet) but there is no alternative product to replace it with. While the main merge isn't as pretty as PSP I don't see anything that would create turbulence. The weld in the bend of the pipe on the other hand...that is the one that concerns me.

Didn't end up getting anywhere with VRSF on the weld in the bend of the pipe so I decided to return it. Just as I did that, I saw PSP opened up pre sales for their outlet (early Nov delivery). Problem solved.