MHD Wifi orange e-series adapter disconnects regularly

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
I was honest with MHD and told them i would like to use a non-wifi adapter. BimmerGeeks cable seems to be well reviewed but I just cant find one in the UK. Looks like i will need to order one from US.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I was non stop logging all morning today, it only played up once on my s10 and that's when the phone slipped off the seat onto the floor.

I think it might be either your phone or tablet wifi.

Tried logging on my Samsung tab and it would have a bar of it, all the logs came out corrupted.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
I was non stop logging all morning today, it only played up once on my s10 and that's when the phone slipped off the seat onto the floor.

Tried logging on my Samsung tab and it would have a bar of it, all the logs came out corrupted.
It could well be related to the android device, who knows. But the point is it should work as long as you have 4.4 or newer. Trying to find a particular device that works is totally impractical and potentially very expensive. Spending an hour or so, restarting the phone, ignition on and off really defeats the benefits of the "fast" flash times the orange adapter is meant to offer. Would far rather use something that is reliable but slightly slower.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
It could well be related to the android device, who knows. But the point is it should work as long as you have 4.4 or newer. Trying to find a particular device that works is totally impractical and potentially very expensive. Spending an hour or so, restarting the phone, ignition on and off really defeats the benefits of the "fast" flash times the orange adapter is meant to offer. Would far rather use something that is reliable but slightly slower.
The phone moving from seat to the floor would also indicate a really unstable connection.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I think its more to do with device more than anything else, could be wrong.

I use a cheap ebay cable as long as its the clear case and green board and has no toggle switch it works properly.

Sold dozens of them before the wifi adapter came out.

Never had one failure and the best part is they were around 30 dollars delivered

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
I will definitely try and get a wired cable and see if it works. I paid the extra for the official MHD adapter after reading posts about the risk of failed flashes and bricking the DME. But ironically that is exactly what happened using the MHD orange one. Not a nice feeling thinking you've just created a massive paperweight.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020

Was that with Ebay cable or MHD orange wifi?

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Same thing here. I get disconnected occasionally and i thought i was the only one with this problem. I just keep re-seating the adapter time after time. It does get very annoying. Thankfully it has not failed during a flash yet. I had only used this wifi adapter only about 10 times. One of those being a flash. So with not much experience with them. The adapter is new and i thought i had a faulty product.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
I just got a new $23 cable, straight from ebay. Works pefectly first time. No messing about with settings or restarting phone. It is a little bit slower on a flash where I just changed an option taking around 55 secs. Orange wifi was about 45 secs i think. This is all sat on the drive so i will use car later with monitoring switched on and record a log file to see if it stays stable.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
Drove around for a couple of hours and the monitoring and logs didn't stop once using the cable. Did 2 flashes both without problem. So I would venture to say the problem lies with using a Wifi connection, whether or not its my android phone or the adapter, or both I couldn't say for sure. What I will say for sure is I wont be using the Wifi adapter again as it simply doesn't have any benefits except for saving a few seconds on a flash. As it left my car inoperable multiple times it's also a bit risky. I guess for those wanting to keep a connection to the DME all the time for enhanced dials, shift lights or whatever else, the cable is probably going to get in the way so you might have to go Wifi route.

Reactions: Jeffman

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I had my first use of the wireless adapter 'in the wild' today at an autocross. No dropouts. Very quick to flash. Max cooling mode was trivial to toggle.

Did not see any drop outs. iPhone XS. Orange adapter from BMS.

Rik

Lurker
Sep 11, 2020
I had my first use of the wireless adapter 'in the wild' today at an autocross. No dropouts. Very quick to flash. Max cooling mode was trivial to toggle.

Did not see any drop outs. iPhone XS. Orange adapter from BMS.
Good to hear. Perhaps there is just a faulty batch of adapters out there? Or its down to mobile device. I'm on android but perhaps iOS is more reliable.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
That sounds reasonable. I previously used Android and a cable and never had an issue... wifi adapter I've been using with my iPhone cause it is a drastically faster phone.

Now I wonder if anyone on iOS is having the drop outs?

ccl_n54

Apr 27, 2021
Hi guys,

I hope this is on topic. Just bought my MHD orange adapter and can't get it working.

Plugged it in, red light comes up together with orange light, then white light and then red light remains (i believe this is the normal behaviour as I have seen in videos). HOWEVER, there is NO Wi-Fi network appearing either at iOS (iPhone nor iPad), nor Android (Samsung Galaxy smartphone nor Galaxy Tab).

Could this be that the adapter came already bad? I have just had it for one day and never seemed to work properly...

Thanks!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Did you buy from Burger Tuning or ... ? I suggest contacting the vendor.

ccl_n54

Apr 27, 2021
Did you buy from Burger Tuning or ... ? I suggest contacting the vendor.
Bought it from Bimmer-connect since I live in Europe and its one of the recommended vendors. Emailed them yesterday w/o further response.

Just wanted to know if this is a common issue before returning it or asking for a replacement, since I have to pay the shipment costs...

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Bought it from Bimmer-connect since I live in Europe and its one of the recommended vendors. Emailed them yesterday w/o further response.

Just wanted to know if this is a common issue before returning it or asking for a replacement, since I have to pay the shipment costs...
if you sent an e-mail only yesterday, wait again :)