MHD Bluetooth

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
With my move from jb4 BEF's to the Motiv Boostbox and straight MHD, this makes my desire for a bluetooth setup for MHD quite large, as a dangling wire throughout my cabin is not ideal, and I've already kicked my OBD2 plug once getting out of the car. I know there is methods of hiding the OBD2 plug, but this to me is a band aide fix for what we really need. I know I saw Martial say something was in the works for this quite some time ago, but haven't seen anything as of lately. Does anyone know if they are still working on this?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@Martial@MHD would have to chime in on this, I may be wrong, but that project may be delayed. Do you have a mounted tablet or something? OBD2 cable to Android box in the glovebox + screen mirror to a tablet perhaps?

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
Yeah I've got a nexus 7 tablet mounted. I may move it over to the left side of my steering wheel and do the hide obd2 cable routed through the air vent for now until the Bluetooth (hopefully) comes out.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you just run an obd extension to the glovebox you can probably mirror to a tablet without any visible cables. Requires two android devices though and haven't checked if its possible but I would think it would be.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Isn't Bluetooth going to have a slight delay in comparison to a wired setup?

For normal logging I don't think there would be noticeable or much lag. The video is rendered natively on the display device itself and values are populated by the Bluetooth data connection. When it comes to screen mirroring, transcoding must occur which is an extra, processor heavy step which is where most similar video delays come from.

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Hoping to get an update on this from @Martial@MHD so I don't need to wire my cable behind the dash!

Just wired mine for a center mount since I'm non I drive. Was more of a pain in the ass than I thought it would be to fish the wire. Ultimately pulled the radio to allow me more room to see. Once I did that, it was a little easier. Problem is when you go to push the trim piece back in, it won't seat all the way back down because of the wire. Might have to notch the trim in the back just a tad to buy some room so the wire isn't pinched.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Just wired mine for a center mount since I'm non I drive. Was more of a pain in the ass than I thought it would be to fish the wire. Ultimately pulled the radio to allow me more room to see. Once I did that, it was a little easier. Problem is when you go to push the trim piece back in, it won't seat all the way back down because of the wire. Might have to notch the trim in the back just a tad to buy some room so the wire isn't pinched.

Yeah, I was about to dig into that... But then I said I'll just deal with it and pray there is some news.

Martial@MHD

Lurker
Platinum Vendor
Oct 24, 2016
progress has been quick lately, with flashing and logging all working perfectly on my desktop DME using the custom MHD BT+usb adapter, both in cabled mode and bluetooth mode. BT mode is a bit quicker than the regular KDCAN cables, and BT+USB mode is over 2x quicker.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
progress has been quick lately, with flashing and logging all working perfectly on my desktop DME using the custom MHD BT+usb adapter, both in cabled mode and bluetooth mode. BT mode is a bit quicker than the regular KDCAN cables, and BT+USB mode is over 2x quicker.

Epic work as always @Martial@MHD

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

So, does this mean that it can transmit over both BT and USB at the same time or is it due to something else? I thought the restriction was just the CAN bus bandwidth

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
So, does this mean that it can transmit over both BT and USB at the same time or is it due to something else? I thought the restriction was just the CAN bus bandwidth

Either or. The same tool will be able to be used with a cable. Or via Bluetooth

via cable being the fastest speeds. And CIA Bluetooth still being faster than the normal kdcan cables.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Either or. The same tool will be able to be used with a cable. Or via Bluetooth

via cable being the fastest speeds. And CIA Bluetooth still being faster than the normal kdcan cables.
The way it was phrased with the + symbol made it sound like a MIMO setup, but that didn't make sense due to the flash times being limited by the can speed, at least I assumed so.