M135i N55 EWG retrofitting S55 high pressure fuel pump

SC James

Sep 23, 2021
Belgium
Ride
BMW M135i
Hi everyone,

Before getting into the topic, I'd like to give some background about myself, I live in Belgium, I am just a car enthusiast who does a lot of track days and driftdays, I don't have any mechanical background nor tuning knowledge. Every knowledge that I have now regarding tuning is obtained while building my M135i.

My M135i journey started back in 2019, my path was pretty much the same with most of the people, getting a stage 1... stage 2... then you know, power is never enough. So I went for stage 3, that's where I started to part ways from the rest I believe. As many people know, fueling has been the choking point for N55 engines, I struggled for 2 years, ever since stage 2, I have experiencing fueling issues. Had to replace the hpfp to dorch stage 1 which had the same issue, then at some point, B58TU become popular and I see many people claiming over 500 hp with B58TU pump with bigger turbo. Ok fine, bought B58TU pump, made some modification to fit on the N55, bought a bigger turbo, ready for 500 HP. But nope, I was only able to hit 460 HP with 98 pump fuel. When we were pushing 470 HP & 650 NM, we start to experiencing problem as shown in the photo.
fuel drop.jpg

I know at this point, many people would say, you should go with ethanol or meth injection kit, but as I mentioned above, I drive on circuit a lot and I almost daily drive this car, therefore I want it to be as "convenient" as possible, meaning, when I run out of gas, I just drive to the gas station and refill, then hit the gas as hard as I could without worrying about ethanol mixture or meth running out. Then some people might suggest other "upgraded pumps" that are available on the market, but I am really tired of "testing", throwing money and hoping it will be the fix.

At some point, I was really lucky because I met Gert, the "Matrix" who made this project possible. He asked me why don't I go for S55 HPFP retrofit. I said, I never knew it was possible. Then he said to me and I will never forget this... "Your engine have huge potential, but it is limited by your HPFP, it's like you have a 30cm d*ck, but you are only able to use 5cm of it." Then Gert patiently explained me everything and I was super sold with his knowledge about tuning and coding. So I said to him, let's do it!

Bon, we ordered all the neccessary parts for the retrofit. (I can post the detailed part list with part number if anyone is interested), so the project is official on! Then we run into our first problem, our initial plan was to run Alpina B3 software, so the 2nd pump could be activated. But all Alpina B3 were only made in PWG, and I have EWG. So this is a no go. Well, if we do a PWG conversion, then it's a easy fix. But no, Gert told me not to, because EWG is simply better and can be controlled more precisely.

Then Gert started to do researches, searching if there has been anyone who were able to make this work. There were close to no information at all, we only know that there are few cars who is running on S55 HPFP, but no logs, no info, no dyno sheet (at least we didn find anything). We also found few cars who is running on S55 pumps, but they made an extra controller to control the 2nd fuel pump. But again, Gert is against that and said it is not how it is supposed to work, it will not be stable. And he is right. (For those who is interested, have a read)

So Gert started to brainstorming... he literally spent weeks to make this work, looking at electric diagrams, hardware comparisation, software difficulties. And finally, he made it without adding an extra controller for the 2nd pump nor any hardware modifications on the fuel pumps! The pump is only controlled by the DME and most importantly, everything is working as it supposed to be. No easy-quickie fix.

We are now in testing phase, just drove the car yesterday, it feels amazing!
M135i 100-180 Pull (S55 pump retrofit on 98 pump fuel)

As it's still in testing phase, we didn't measure the exact power. But video doesn't lie, we believe its pushing around 530-550 hp at this moment, and tomorrow, Gert is going to strap it on dyno and finish the car completely. By then, I will post dynosheet and detailed datalogs.

James

BigAl22022

Sep 27, 2021
Hi everyone,

Before getting into the topic, I'd like to give some background about myself, I live in Belgium, I am just a car enthusiast who does a lot of track days and driftdays, I don't have any mechanical background nor tuning knowledge. Every knowledge that I have now regarding tuning is obtained while building my M135i.

My M135i journey started back in 2019, my path was pretty much the same with most of the people, getting a stage 1... stage 2... then you know, power is never enough. So I went for stage 3, that's where I started to part ways from the rest I believe. As many people know, fueling has been the choking point for N55 engines, I struggled for 2 years, ever since stage 2, I have experiencing fueling issues. Had to replace the hpfp to dorch stage 1 which had the same issue, then at some point, B58TU become popular and I see many people claiming over 500 hp with B58TU pump with bigger turbo. Ok fine, bought B58TU pump, made some modification to fit on the N55, bought a bigger turbo, ready for 500 HP. But nope, I was only able to hit 460 HP with 98 pump fuel. When we were pushing 470 HP & 650 NM, we start to experiencing problem as shown in the photo.
View attachment 59584
I know at this point, many people would say, you should go with ethanol or meth injection kit, but as I mentioned above, I drive on circuit a lot and I almost daily drive this car, therefore I want it to be as "convenient" as possible, meaning, when I run out of gas, I just drive to the gas station and refill, then hit the gas as hard as I could without worrying about ethanol mixture or meth running out. Then some people might suggest other "upgraded pumps" that are available on the market, but I am really tired of "testing", throwing money and hoping it will be the fix.

At some point, I was really lucky because I met Gert, the "Matrix" who made this project possible. He asked me why don't I go for S55 HPFP retrofit. I said, I never knew it was possible. Then he said to me and I will never forget this... "Your engine have huge potential, but it is limited by your HPFP, it's like you have a 30cm d*ck, but you are only able to use 5cm of it." Then Gert patiently explained me everything and I was super sold with his knowledge about tuning and coding. So I said to him, let's do it!

Bon, we ordered all the neccessary parts for the retrofit. (I can post the detailed part list with part number if anyone is interested), so the project is official on! Then we run into our first problem, our initial plan was to run Alpina B3 software, so the 2nd pump could be activated. But all Alpina B3 were only made in PWG, and I have EWG. So this is a no go. Well, if we do a PWG conversion, then it's a easy fix. But no, Gert told me not to, because EWG is simply better and can be controlled more precisely.

Then Gert started to do researches, searching if there has been anyone who were able to make this work. There were close to no information at all, we only know that there are few cars who is running on S55 HPFP, but no logs, no info, no dyno sheet (at least we didn find anything). We also found few cars who is running on S55 pumps, but they made an extra controller to control the 2nd fuel pump. But again, Gert is against that and said it is not how it is supposed to work, it will not be stable. And he is right. (For those who is interested, have a read)

So Gert started to brainstorming... he literally spent weeks to make this work, looking at electric diagrams, hardware comparisation, software difficulties. And finally, he made it without adding an extra controller for the 2nd pump nor any hardware modifications on the fuel pumps! The pump is only controlled by the DME and most importantly, everything is working as it supposed to be. No easy-quickie fix.

We are now in testing phase, just drove the car yesterday, it feels amazing!
M135i 100-180 Pull (S55 pump retrofit on 98 pump fuel)

As it's still in testing phase, we didn't measure the exact power. But video doesn't lie, we believe its pushing around 530-550 hp at this moment, and tomorrow, Gert is going to strap it on dyno and finish the car completely. By then, I will post dynosheet and detailed datalogs.

James
This is awesome!! I hope you're able to develop it more. Us early N55 and N54 guys would love more HPFP options.

SC James

Sep 23, 2021
Belgium
Ride
BMW M135i
This is awesome!! I hope you're able to develop it more. Us early N55 and N54 guys would love more HPFP options.

Hi, thanks for the reactions. The car is completely finished at this moment and I have been driving it for more than 2 days. No issues whatsoever, it also feels so much smoother and keep pulling insane. We expected higher HP by the acceleration time & feeling, but final result is 517 HP & 748NM. Happy with the result.

243188820_452418202737279_6301617648074502587_n.jpg

Last edited:

Suddenko

Oct 11, 2021
Very nice. For this retrofit, I was under the impression you run wires to the blank pins on the DME for the second HPFP and have your tuner enable it in your map

Reactions: zoltanic

wheela

Lieutenant
Jun 4, 2021
Twin Cities, MN
Ride
2015 e84 X1 35i Msport
Thanks for sharing, this is awesome! I'm in a similar boat, I also want to stick with 93oct and DI with no external controllers, and also want to get a stage 3 turbo, and have been thinking about hpfp options.

So you saw no benefit from the dorch? I was thinking I'd do either their stage 1 or stage 2, but hadn't decided between the two. But s55 upgrade sounds awesome, as it would be great to stick with oem pump(s)!

Also, do you mind sharing what turbo you're running? I really want the speedtech n55 e-chassis 7670 efr kit. I emailed Jeff, and he couldn't quote a lead time due to low interest in the kit. This blows my mind that there isn't more interest in this kit, it seems like the ultimate upgrade for a super strong daily driver in my opinion.

Reactions: BigAl22022

BigAl22022

Sep 27, 2021
Thanks for sharing, this is awesome! I'm in a similar boat, I also want to stick with 93oct and DI with no external controllers, and also want to get a stage 3 turbo, and have been thinking about hpfp options.

So you saw no benefit from the dorch? I was thinking I'd do either their stage 1 or stage 2, but hadn't decided between the two. But s55 upgrade sounds awesome, as it would be great to stick with oem pump(s)!

Also, do you mind sharing what turbo you're running? I really want the speedtech n55 e-chassis 7670 efr kit. I emailed Jeff, and he couldn't quote a lead time due to low interest in the kit. This blows my mind that there isn't more interest in this kit, it seems like the ultimate upgrade for a super strong daily driver in my opinion.
Oh absolutely, I got the N55 specifically to do a more reliable (than N54 of course) single turbo build

Reactions: zoltanic

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m

It would be much cheaper and easier by running a s55 pump setup controlled by a syvecs with a dct or manual box than trying
to adapt the s55 pump to the factory n54 or early n55 ecu.

@fmorelli and MHD tried I believe and given up but he can shed some light on it.

Reactions: BigAl22022