M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
i stared at my dsc module for 20 minutes... dont think i can take out the module in situ... still trying to figure out which dsb module i should get

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
i stared at my dsc module for 20 minutes... dont think i can take out the module in situ... still trying to figure out which dsb module i should get
From what I remember, any module that's from an 08+ will work. I'd play it safe and get something from a 09-13..

Though I also remember saying that the M3 has a different pump, but people still run M3 firmware's on their original dsc module anyway

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
From what I remember, any module that's from an 08+ will work. I'd play it safe and get something from a 09-13..

Though I also remember saying that the M3 has a different pump, but people still run M3 firmware's on their original dsc module anyway
thanks, just bought this m3 dsc from ebay for 50usd...supposingly its in working condition and i only need the module anyways....
i will take both apart and measure if theres any difference on the hardware side

it should take 2-3 weeks to arrive and some more time for me to get my mechanic to install it so... i will keep you guys posted ;)

in the mean time i need to find the yaw sensor as well......

1671545934779.png

Reactions: KClemente

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
well since the seller wanted 35 ukp for shipping, i ended up going cheap and buying the older revision yaw sensor...
lets hope this doesnt bite me in the ass

1671643557358.png

1671643690722.png

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Sorry if this is not the right place to post - but 2 years ago I was trying to retrofit M-drive and MDM onto my E9X M3 that didn't come with it.

I purchased the appropriate SZL module with MDM and rain sensor. I tried coding the car by adding $2MD to CAS/FRM/NFRM in NCSExpert and default coding the modules - however, I run into an error when I default code 8BMOT (which is the DME module for E9X M3).

I think the problem is that I didn't have the latest SP-Daten files. Before I update and try again, I just want to double check whether default coding all my modules using NCSExpert will affect the engine tune I have on the car? I ask because my car is supercharged and will not run right without the tune.

Thanks!

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Sorry if this is not the right place to post - but 2 years ago I was trying to retrofit M-drive and MDM onto my E9X M3 that didn't come with it.

I purchased the appropriate SZL module with MDM and rain sensor. I tried coding the car by adding $2MD to CAS/FRM/NFRM in NCSExpert and default coding the modules - however, I run into an error when I default code 8BMOT (which is the DME module for E9X M3).

I think the problem is that I didn't have the latest SP-Daten files. Before I update and try again, I just want to double check whether default coding all my modules using NCSExpert will affect the engine tune I have on the car? I ask because my car is supercharged and will not run right without the tune.

Thanks!

most likely ncsexpert was trying to write to places that cant be modified after the dme has been powered on for over 10 hours... dont default code the car, just default code the modules that need it

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
received the m3 dsc..
measured the outside rod diameter for all the solenoids and valves inside...

can someone take apart their non m dsc and measure as well?
i wont be able to do it until after chinese new year here at least

PXL_20230107_143547770.MP.jpg

PXL_20230107_143607549.MP.jpg

PXL_20230107_144058233.MP.jpg

Reactions: GnomeChild

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
most likely ncsexpert was trying to write to places that cant be modified after the dme has been powered on for over 10 hours... dont default code the car, just default code the modules that need it
Thanks. I will just default code the modules that I need then. If I default code 8BMOT (which I believe is the DME), will that affect my engine tune?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
Thanks. I will just default code the modules that I need then. If I default code 8BMOT (which I believe is the DME), will that affect my engine tune?
i dont think you can default code the dme cause powerclass and stuff requires < 10 hours of power on time. but no it wont affect your tune

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
Apologies if this is an ignorant question or I've posted in the wrong M Modules thread but.. non-M e90s have a small exhaust flap in the left muffler that is electronically controlled through vacuum. If M Drive/M Modules are retrofitted to say, an e90 335i, is there an option to override/control the flap in M Drive menu like newer M cars with "Sound Control"?

I know basic DME flashing will override the flap to keep it always open, but is there an option to code it to behave stock during normal daily driving and then override to forced open if M Drive is active?

Also, if I don't plan on retrofitting EDC and say I only have M3 Rack + Servotronic, is there any benefit of going the M3 route to unlock full M Drive menu and not just using a 1M flash for throttle + Servotronic? (Sorry again if the question is ignorant, thread is chock full of information and a lot of it is going over by head and I fear I might not be understanding/comprehending it)

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
The flap is controlled by the DME. There are 2 maps for it, one for when the convertible top is open and the other when closed. There's no way of coding it to work the same way as the M3.

You can make custom 335i DME code to change the maps to active for sport/mdrive instead of the convertible top. I've done this on my cars to keep the exhaust note quieter when sport mode is off.

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
The flap is controlled by the DME. There are 2 maps for it, one for when the convertible top is open and the other when closed. There's no way of coding it to work the same way as the M3.
Is that how it works even on non-convertible models? Mentioning of convertibles is kinda throwing me off. IIRC The 1M/M3 don't have an exhaust flap so it makes sense why their MDrive modes don't include an option for it. Non-M e82s and e90s I believe are the only models that had dynamic exhaust, everything else had static exhaust with no flap/vacuum actuator

You can make custom 335i DME code to change the maps to active for sport/mdrive instead of the convertible top. I've done this on my cars to keep the exhaust note quieter when sport mode is off.
If flashing to say, a 1M flash to activate M Drive functions, would there be a provision for this? 1Ms never had a factory flap on their exhausts and I've never dug or had any firsthand knowledge of DME coding outside of 335i specific flashes, or custom tunes for that matter. How would I even flash a basic 335i tune that retains the function of the flap? MHD OTC tunes code the flap to be always open from what I've experienced so a custom flash would be required, like you said

sorry for borderline thread-jack
other threads seem to have covered this topic before

carabuser

Lieutenant
Oct 2, 2019
UK
Ride
Z4 35i & 335i
Is that how it works even on non-convertible models? Mentioning of convertibles is kinda throwing me off. IIRC The 1M/M3 don't have an exhaust flap so it makes sense why their MDrive modes don't include an option for it. Non-M e82s and e90s I believe are the only models that had dynamic exhaust, everything else had static exhaust with no flap/vacuum actuator

If flashing to say, a 1M flash to activate M Drive functions, would there be a provision for this? 1Ms never had a factory flap on their exhausts and I've never dug or had any firsthand knowledge of DME coding outside of 335i specific flashes, or custom tunes for that matter. How would I even flash a basic 335i tune that retains the function of the flap? MHD OTC tunes code the flap to be always open from what I've experienced so a custom flash would be required, like you said

sorry for borderline thread-jack
other threads seem to have covered this topic before
All N54 engine flashes will have the same logic for the exhaust flap. Even if it's not a convertible model it will have the provision for it. The DME is full of functions that aren't used, they don't make any model specific software, just cals. IKM0S is no different to the other software versions.

I think MHD just leave the tables stock.

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
I think MHD just leave the tables stock.
It does not, at least the tune and options I selected (Pump USA BEF IJ). My flap wasn't working as intended with MHD but when I flashed back to stock it regained proper function. I wonder if selecting the "Reduce Exhaust Noise on Cold-Start" option has anything to do with it? I have not tried flashing the DME again with that option left unselected to test or not.

However, we are definitely talking more DME/Flash related content and not M Drive anymore so I will try to refrain from further questioning/investigations in this thread. I think I found a thread I can continue my "quiet-sport-exhaust-during-daily-driving-but-can-turn-beastly-with-a-push-of-a-button" endeavors in :)

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
thanks so much, just messaged the seller to see if they have faster shipping available...seems the sensor is going to cost as much as the dsc module if not more...
Is there any specific reason to upgrade the Yaw sensor? Is it a Pre-LCI thing? You mentioned a few posts back and just trying to clarify. I just bought an M3 DSC module as well. Will it work with the current Yaw Sensor in my 2010 335i or are they M3 specific and I need the 375 unit to pair with the M3 DSC?

EDIT
Taking it a step further as well: is it wise to upgrade to the M3 DSC in the first place? (I canceled my M3 DSC order pending responses) From what I read and seemed to understand from my skimming the last few pages, M3 DSC needs to be hardwired to the Control stack on the center console instead of being controlled by the JBBE like 335i DSC? Since BMW never made woodgrain trim with provision for the control stack, I would rather not upgrade to the M3 DSC if that is a requirement and would rather just flash my current unit. Although if I also want to retrofit EDC and possibly full M3 MDM/M-Mode I will probably need the control stack in some fashion for the EDC controller unless ultimately don't need it for proper function and would be able to control EDC through M-Drive and have it stiffen up with the M-button only?

Trying to figure out which way to go at this crossroad... the beefier M3 DSC might be nice but not if I need to replace my trim although I might have to anyway if I want EDC. Fucken complicated but damn would be sweet to effectively have all the "M" extras in a car never designed with them in mind

EDIT 2
Also, reports that Servotronic and EDC cannot coexist? It's either one or the other? I plan on retrofitting Servotronic soon and EDC is well off, but it would be nice to know if future plans are possibilities...

EDIT 3
Also, the dash DTC button? When flashing M3 DSC, it will stop functioning correctly since M3 has TPMS button instead? Better to flash 1M DSC and will that retain the dash DTC button function? Any reason not to do it this way?

EDIT 4
M button as well... Just need to flash radio as 1M/M3 and steering wheel controls will function as on an M3 (M button top button, Radio adjust bottom button)? Radio flash is required? Just IK DME flash won't accomplish this? I have "M" steering wheel controls with physical M button to swap once completed

This is all assuming I have all M modules or equivalent installed in the car: SZL, JBBE + Servotronic, LSD (not technically a module but important for DSC), DSC Flash, Kombi (DCT for shift lights). Car is 6MT so no GTS flash; I am unsure what GWS is but I assume it is in regards to the DCT shifter which I obviously don't have and will never install

Have I covered everything yet? :)

Last edited: