M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Is there any specific reason to upgrade the Yaw sensor? Is it a Pre-LCI thing? You mentioned a few posts back and just trying to clarify. I just bought an M3 DSC module as well. Will it work with the current Yaw Sensor in my 2010 335i or are they M3 specific and I need the 375 unit to pair with the M3 DSC?

EDIT
Taking it a step further as well: is it wise to upgrade to the M3 DSC in the first place? (I canceled my M3 DSC order pending responses) From what I read and seemed to understand from my skimming the last few pages, M3 DSC needs to be hardwired to the Control stack on the center console instead of being controlled by the JBBE like 335i DSC? Since BMW never made woodgrain trim with provision for the control stack, I would rather not upgrade to the M3 DSC if that is a requirement and would rather just flash my current unit. Although if I also want to retrofit EDC and possibly full M3 MDM/M-Mode I will probably need the control stack in some fashion for the EDC controller unless ultimately don't need it for proper function and would be able to control EDC through M-Drive and have it stiffen up with the M-button only?

Trying to figure out which way to go at this crossroad... the beefier M3 DSC might be nice but not if I need to replace my trim although I might have to anyway if I want EDC. Fucken complicated but damn would be sweet to effectively have all the "M" extras in a car never designed with them in mind

EDIT 2
Also, reports that Servotronic and EDC cannot coexist? It's either one or the other? I plan on retrofitting Servotronic soon and EDC is well off, but it would be nice to know if future plans are possibilities...

EDIT 3
Also, the dash DTC button? When flashing M3 DSC, it will stop functioning correctly since M3 has TPMS button instead? Better to flash 1M DSC and will that retain the dash DTC button function? Any reason not to do it this way?

EDIT 4
M button as well... Just need to flash radio as 1M/M3 and steering wheel controls will function as on an M3 (M button top button, Radio adjust bottom button)? Radio flash is required? Just IK DME flash won't accomplish this? I have "M" steering wheel controls with physical M button to swap once completed

This is all assuming I have all M modules or equivalent installed in the car: SZL, JBBE + Servotronic, LSD (not technically a module but important for DSC), DSC Flash, Kombi (DCT for shift lights). Car is 6MT so no GTS flash; I am unsure what GWS is but I assume it is in regards to the DCT shifter which I obviously don't have and will never install

Have I covered everything yet? :)
If you have a 2008+ (09/2007) car you already have a compatible dsc and yaw sensor. If you code your jbbf to "m3" the dtc button will no longer function as a dtc button, so either retrofit M3 center console or rewire the dtc button. No idea if you program 1M to dsc though.

I don't think rad needs coding for a new szl? The M3 szl itself will already send different CAN messages as its programmed differently as is. GWS is gear selector.

And finally, no idea about servotronic and edc..

Reactions: GnomeChild

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
I'm going to assume that by JBBF you meant to say DSC. JBBF doesn't inherently do anything when switched out to M unit; it will just be coded to the car it came off of but is default coded to the new car and will be default coded for my 335i to accommodate all my current options and future mods.

I would assume that means that if using a new physical M3 DSC pump, you would need to hardwire to the center console stack, but what if you just do the flash? The 335i pump is wired into the JBBF and you're only adjusting the firmware/values, not changing signals and/or wiring? It makes sense that you could just flash with even M3 firmware and it would function as original but I have not yet attempted or have first hand experience, just thinking out loud here.

1M is wired/programmed through JBBF exactly like a x35i, so flashing 1M values to DSC pump would stand to reason that that'd leave the hazard switch functioning like normal but how does the M3 flash effect it? We are only adjusting tables/values, not how the wiring/signals are sent. The M3 values obviously match the wheelbases on the 335i so if flashing the DSC pump, that would be the one to flash, but is it possible to have 335i DSC pump still functioning on 335i JBBF but pushing M3 values?

The reason I mentioned the radio is that members from the "genesis" era of this mod/retrofit were reporting that both signals (M3 M-Button AND 335i Radio station change) were being sent, which I found strange at first. I have the M3 steering controls and M SZL so I have the physical buttons and circuits/relays for M Mode/M Drive, but even with a flash the 335i radio button will behave like the M Button and so on with the 335i Recirc (it is all programming, nothing special about the button assembly itself aside from having the correct buttons). Have these kinks been worked out or was it just an "early discovery" thing? I am trying to determine if there are any signals that need to be flashed/discontinued on the radio side so that both signals are no longer intercepted and only M Mode (and radio switch bottom button) is activated. Maybe they were using x35i SZL that was causing issues? Like you said maybe using M3 SZL only sends one signal?

Even when getting M Mode activated without an M3 cluster, the green "M" icon lights up but on a 335i cluster it is the steering lock or steering service icon that illuminates, so obviously most the circuitry is there; just swapping to M units/modules gets you the correct displays/icons/buttons

Last edited:

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
EDIT
Taking it a step further as well: is it wise to upgrade to the M3 DSC in the first place? (I canceled my M3 DSC order pending responses) From what I read and seemed to understand from my skimming the last few pages, M3 DSC needs to be hardwired to the Control stack on the center console instead of being controlled by the JBBE like 335i DSC? Since BMW never made woodgrain trim with provision for the control stack, I would rather not upgrade to the M3 DSC if that is a requirement and would rather just flash my current unit. Although if I also want to retrofit EDC and possibly full M3 MDM/M-Mode I will probably need the control stack in some fashion for the EDC controller unless ultimately don't need it for proper function and would be able to control EDC through M-Drive and have it stiffen up with the M-button only?

Trying to figure out which way to go at this crossroad... the beefier M3 DSC might be nice but not if I need to replace my trim although I might have to anyway if I want EDC. Fucken complicated but damn would be sweet to effectively have all the "M" extras in a car never designed with them in mind

is it wise? thats a hard question... depends on your use case i guess...
the m3 dsc doesnt seem to be beefier. its only required if your car is older than 08 as the dsc computer doesnt accept the 1m/m3 software
you dont need to change to a m3 dsc button stack for running the m3 software. you can just hardwire your existing dsc button to the dsc module

edc is pointless imo, spend the money on better suspension

EDIT 4
M button as well... Just need to flash radio as 1M/M3 and steering wheel controls will function as on an M3 (M button top button, Radio adjust bottom button)? Radio flash is required? Just IK DME flash won't accomplish this? I have "M" steering wheel controls with physical M button to swap once completed

This is all assuming I have all M modules or equivalent installed in the car: SZL, JBBE + Servotronic, LSD (not technically a module but important for DSC), DSC Flash, Kombi (DCT for shift lights). Car is 6MT so no GTS flash; I am unsure what GWS is but I assume it is in regards to the DCT shifter which I obviously don't have and will never install

Have I covered everything yet? :)

not sure what you are trying to do but if you are trying to throw parts at it, it wont work

I would assume that means that if using a new physical M3 DSC pump, you would need to hardwire to the center console stack, but what if you just do the flash? The 335i pump is wired into the JBBF and you're only adjusting the firmware/values, not changing signals and/or wiring? It makes sense that you could just flash with even M3 firmware and it would function as original but I have not yet attempted or have first hand experience, just thinking out loud here.

if you are planning to run the m3 software then you will need to hardwire it and program your jbbf to m3 as well
if you are planning to run the 1m software then you don't need to hardwire it

1M is wired/programmed through JBBF exactly like a x35i, so flashing 1M values to DSC pump would stand to reason that that'd leave the hazard switch functioning like normal but how does the M3 flash effect it? We are only adjusting tables/values, not how the wiring/signals are sent. The M3 values obviously match the wheelbases on the 335i so if flashing the DSC pump, that would be the one to flash, but is it possible to have 335i DSC pump still functioning on 335i JBBF but pushing M3 values?
software change does not only adjust tables/values. you can use the m3 values on the software but it does not function the same as the m3 software
strictly speaking m3 does not have the same "config" as a 335, different rear subframe/suspension geometry, tire widths, spring rates, sway bars

The reason I mentioned the radio is that members from the "genesis" era of this mod/retrofit were reporting that both signals (M3 M-Button AND 335i Radio station change) were being sent, which I found strange at first. I have the M3 steering controls and M SZL so I have the physical buttons and circuits/relays for M Mode/M Drive, but even with a flash the 335i radio button will behave like the M Button and so on with the 335i Recirc (it is all programming, nothing special about the button assembly itself aside from having the correct buttons). Have these kinks been worked out or was it just an "early discovery" thing? I am trying to determine if there are any signals that need to be flashed/discontinued on the radio side so that both signals are no longer intercepted and only M Mode (and radio switch bottom button) is activated. Maybe they were using x35i SZL that was causing issues? Like you said maybe using M3 SZL only sends one signal?
m3/1m szl needs to be coded by default coding the dsc. non m3/1m szl cannot send the m mode command.
iirc radio flashing/coding was to stop the car from activating m mode and enabling recirc/changing radio stuff when the button is pressed

GnomeChild

Private
Sep 14, 2018
California
Ride
e90 335i LCI M-Sport
is it wise? thats a hard question... depends on your use case i guess...
the m3 dsc doesnt seem to be beefier. its only required if your car is older than 08 as the dsc computer doesnt accept the 1m/m3 software
you dont need to change to a m3 dsc button stack for running the m3 software. you can just hardwire your existing dsc button to the dsc module
Got it, noted. So it's probably just better to just flash my current pump, and figuring out the wiring for the Dash DTC button is a given unless flashing to 1M

edc is pointless imo, spend the money on better suspension
Noted, but also partially ignored :)

not sure what you are trying to do but if you are trying to throw parts at it, it wont work
if you are planning to run the m3 software then you will need to hardwire it and program your jbbf to m3 as well
Um... no
That's not what I'm doing....

I'm just having a hard time understanding what "flashing JBBF to M3 means". To intercept the signals from DSC pump? Well that's a problem because Servotronic is wired through JBBF on x35i/1M whereas on the M3 the signal is directly sent from the DME. If JBBF is flashed to behave exactly as on an M3, you would lose Servotronic completely unless I'm missing something. Hardly a worthy retrofit if it forces you to lose part of the functionality M Drive is even for... What exactly is being adjusted in the JBBF? The DSC signals? The options? As far as I know the JBBF is just a junction box: it needs to be default coded to the car once installed to restore your options after installation and that's about it? What about the people who have reported that DSC isn't even ran through JBBF on an M3? Unless I'm/they're mistaken? As I understand it now it makes as much sense to me as saying your roof electronic junction needs to be flashed to M3 or your rear taillight housings need to be coded M3 (as in it makes no sense to me ;))

if you are planning to run the 1m software then you don't need to hardwire it
software change does not only adjust tables/values. you can use the m3 values on the software but it does not function the same as the m3 software
strictly speaking m3 does not have the same "config" as a 335, different rear subframe/suspension geometry, tire widths, spring rates, sway bars
Understandable. By the time Im thinking of performing this work, all my suspension will be M3 regardless: the only differences will probably be the track widths which is probably a more inconsequential variable when considering things like wheelbase, rear LSD, spring rates, body roll, etc

m3/1m szl needs to be coded by default coding the dsc. non m3/1m szl cannot send the m mode command.
How are people with stock clusters/steering wheels managing getting M-Drive menu and M-Mode button/cluster icon to work then? Have they only upgraded the SZL to allow the button to function correctly? Running a secondary CAN controller a la @superwofy?

iirc radio flashing/coding was to stop the car from activating m mode and enabling recirc/changing radio stuff when the button is pressed
So what exactly needs coding then? Radio, correct? For it to stop receiving Radio Change/Recirc? "Code to M3"? How exactly is that done...

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
@RSL just completed my module swaps a few days ago and by chance, do you remember what your M3 switch block pinout was?

My switchblock was pin 6 (blue green dsc) and my ground was pin 1. Pin 2 on my switch block is the trigger for the ambient lighting (grey/red).

Reason why im asking is because my dsc trigger (pin 41) wasn't working and my dsc was complaining about a 10 second press just like yours, but when I decided to short the blue/green, the wire got to the temperature of the sun real quick indicating its a constant ground from the dsc lol

Funny enough, after cooling down, I decided to plug the pin back in its pin 6 slot, and boom, it works just fine now. I'll check the dsc again for codes but now dsc actually turns on and off which leads me to believe its fine.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@KClemente , sorry man, I just saw this. Yes, you may need to do some oddball wiring like I did. If you run +12V to DSC pin 41 and there's no longer a complaint about 10 sec button press, you'll need to wire like I did and I'll get that updated wiring with relay to you to make the DSC button work as intended when i have some time. It's been a strange month or 2 for me. You'll basically need to maintain +12V on DSC pin 41 wire instead of ground and then temp interrupt the +12V to turn off DSC. I use a relay to do that.

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
Ah okay, its weird because after I am now currently using the stock M3 switchblock wiring and it works perfectly fine. After setting the 0x399 toggle to 01, MDM still would not illuminate, but I believe it was m_st_mdpwg_mdrv would switch to 04 and m_st_dsc_can would remain 00.

I had to set K_SPORT_MDRV_DSC to 04 to get m_st_dsc_can to switch to 04 when my M button is pressed.

Are you able to adjust the MDM settings in your CIC? Mine updates when I press the M button, but I'm not able to change the settings in CIC.

PD330

May 7, 2023
First of all, great work! I read the whole thread but I got to be honest, there is a lot of information and I want to be sure to understand everything right...

In M1, DTC button is wired directly to DSC, so there is no rewiring required? But DTC button is not enabling MDM, as there is a second button on steering wheel?
I just want the DSC MDM, everything else like steering EDC, ... is not important for me. Also I own a 330, not a 335, so there is no MHD available. I'm wondering whats the easiest way to get the DSC in MDM.

As far as I understand, I need additional hardware like superwoofys project to send 0x399 message, right? M1 and M3 DSC software wohld work both, the only difference is that I need to rewire the DSC Button with M3 software? Is there any difference in drivability?

Thanks in advance and again, great work!!

PD330

May 7, 2023
Did some more investigation and now I read that in 1M, MDM is activated by the DTC Button.
So am I right that there is nothing more to do than flashing the software and a short press of dtc button will activate MDM? In other words, MDM replaces DTC?

lilg1993

Private
Jun 3, 2020
Did some more investigation and now I read that in 1M, MDM is activated by the DTC Button.
So am I right that there is nothing more to do than flashing the software and a short press of dtc button will activate MDM? In other words, MDM replaces DTC?
From what I understand, I think this is correct.

@RSL @KClemente or anyone else that sees this and has it available, can you share with me the proper pinout for the Power/EDC/DSC switch block?

I read through this entire thread (took me the last couple nights) and most of the coding jargon goes straight over my head as I have zero experience with doing it on my own. Anybody willing to offer this as a remote coding service for me? I have all required M3 parts except SZL at the moment, but desperately want Mdrive/MDM working on my car after I get the SZL in and the switch block wired up. Ofc I'll pay!

Reactions: digitalashley

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
From what I understand, I think this is correct.

@RSL @KClemente or anyone else that sees this and has it available, can you share with me the proper pinout for the Power/EDC/DSC switch block?

I read through this entire thread (took me the last couple nights) and most of the coding jargon goes straight over my head as I have zero experience with doing it on my own. Anybody willing to offer this as a remote coding service for me? I have all required M3 parts except SZL at the moment, but desperately want Mdrive/MDM working on my car after I get the SZL in and the switch block wired up. Ofc I'll pay!
unfortunately i have all the parts but dont have the time to get it installed or play around with it to pinpoint what exactly needs to be done....
otherwise i wouldnt mind doing it for you through remote but im from the other side of the world.....

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
First of all, great work! I read the whole thread but I got to be honest, there is a lot of information and I want to be sure to understand everything right...

In M1, DTC button is wired directly to DSC, so there is no rewiring required? But DTC button is not enabling MDM, as there is a second button on steering wheel?
I just want the DSC MDM, everything else like steering EDC, ... is not important for me. Also I own a 330, not a 335, so there is no MHD available. I'm wondering whats the easiest way to get the DSC in MDM.

As far as I understand, I need additional hardware like superwoofys project to send 0x399 message, right? M1 and M3 DSC software wohld work both, the only difference is that I need to rewire the DSC Button with M3 software? Is there any difference in drivability?

Thanks in advance and again, great work!!
Yes, in the 1m MDM is only activated by the a short pres of the DSC button on the dash, not the M button on the steering wheel unlike the M3

If you are only interested in having mdm instead of dtc in a non-M e8/9x 6cylinder (mk60e5) the easiest true way is as is being discussed by using 1M/M3 dsc flash.

However because of the physical differences between a e8/9x ///M & non-m cars that the DSC system has values that quantify these specifics that are crucial in its operation which are programed to it and they heavily effect the what/when/how/why/where of it's interventions, like the values that it uses to obtain the fundamental steering (steered) angle from the drivers steering wheel angle, mean that this method is not without potential issue/s of its own.
Although for some, like those who don't want or use DSC-on and simply want to have the availability of a less intrusive DTC this is not so much of an issue, although it would likely not be completely issue free.
For a single example from the vast potentials: the difference in the actual steering angle and that calculated would mean as soon as there is steering wheel angle it will think the car is understeering, which could lead to false interventions for it, that although may not be directly felt by the driver may lead to other issues for example increased brake temps and/or wear or even just dirtier wheels more often...

For those with the retrofitted 1M/M3 steering rack and/or associated components of the steering system that effect the relationship between the steering wheel and the steered angle. The remaining physical differences that are cared for in the DSC would have a negligible effect that is outweighed by the minor advantages of having actual MDM.
It is possible for these physical differences to be coded (beyond the scope of this intial post).

However the simplest way to achieve something similar to MDM without effecting the models inside the DSC is to adjust the coding in the DSC so that DTC operates the same as MDM...
(you can also make MDM more like DTC the same way lol).

But first it is best to understand some very basics about DSC, DTC and MDM.
DSC quite simply is BMWs electronic stability control system (ESP/ESC). ESC incorporates the many subsytems like ABS and TC etc, etc, etc, but it is important to understand there difference in operation when as subsytem of ESC which is fundamentally different to there original operation.
ESC is a safety system that very basically, is designed to help the vehicle follow/align to the drivers desired path and trajectory and prevent/correct instability while doing so.
To put into context, originally ABS in a max braking scenario, was designed to prevent/correct a wheel/s from lockup under braking. But as a subsytem of ESC it is designed to here maxmise the overall deceleration by controlling the individual braking while also maintaining/correcting instability and while following/aligning to the drivers desired path. Which subsequently it would obviously prevent lockup in doing so (except for the very specific conditions where lockup would be within these bounds, like snow/ice).
As I'm sure you can now imagine it would be a bit much to try and explain the logic behind all of the subsytems and ESC here...
But very basically ESC compares:
The vehicles actual state and trajectory.
The drivers desired state and trajectory.
A modeled state and trajectory of the vehicle.

DTC is dynamic traction control.
And...
MDM is dynamic traction control.
The main difference between DTC and MDM is actually due to a slight difference in the operation of DSC but it's effect is amplified when in DTC/MDM mode.

In a non-m e8/9x 6cylinder, in normal DSC mode, acceleration wheel slip would be prevented/corrected to prevent/correct instability while still following/aligning to the drivers desired path/trajectory.
Where as:
In a 1M/M3, in normal DSC mode, acceleration wheel slip would be prevented/corrected to maintain/regain stability while still following/aligning to the drivers desired path/trajectory.

Spot the difference?

Comparing DTC to MDM with the small difference in DSC operation:

In DTC mode, accel wheel slip is intially not prevented/corrected but the rest of the non-m DSC sequence remains. As the vehicle speed increases from the lower threshold* the amount of wheel slip prevented/corrected increases up to a point where it is the same as normal non-m DSC
*10-120kph roughly from my testing.

In MDM mode, accel wheel slip is intially not prevented/corrected but the rest of the 1M/M3 DSC sequence remains. As the vehicle speed increases from the lower threshold* the amount accel wheel slip prevented/corrected is increased up to a point where it is the same as normal 1M/M3 DSC.
*25-200kph roughly from testing/documentation.

So DTC and MDM are basically the same thing, albeit with different thresholds
And although (non-m) DTC doesn't intially prevent/correct accel wheel slip, because it will still prevent instability from this means (unless your not going very fast and are going basically dead straight and have lightning fast, precise steering reactions) the difference between 1M/M3 & non-m DSC in reality make a very noticeable difference between DTC and MDM making the later a rather desirable function while the prior is rather useless.

It should also be noted there are a lot of other differences between the calibrations of 1M/M3 and e8/9x 6cylinder that have an effect on the what/when/how/why/where of normal DSC intervention which also will subsequently then effect DTC/MDM..
From simple things like that the parameters of the einspurmodel for 1M/M3 will obviously be higher performance, meaning the thresholds for intervention based on the modelled path/tracjectory will be reached at higher points. To things like the gradient for intervention gain vs speed. And the higher base thresholds for under/oversteer, that the well known of coefficients labeled in the coding relate to and the way in which interventions control engine and brake torque and the use of them for intervention etc, etc, etc...

The coding parameter that effects DSC as detailed above is "PRE_USC", on is 0x00 (non-m), off is 0x01 (1M/M3), address: 0x300003 mask 0x80

I have thought long and hard about sharing proper info on DSC... as Im sure most can imagine the combination of openly available info and this aspect of a vehicle has an amount of risk. Hence there is a lot of basic info and not a lot given away here. But I am happy to help further so if you have any specifics id be happy to help here. If someone has 1M/M3 rack retrofit with non-m DSC and wants to correct it I have a way but need info.
Or for anyone compotent behind the wheel that will use the system off road with more accurate measurements for analysis than the seat of ones pants it might be more efficient to message direct.

Obviously there is risk in doing anything, but the above is just info.

Attachments

• 175609F1-CE78-4C37-AFAC-C5CC44FA0F92.jpeg
    175609F1-CE78-4C37-AFAC-C5CC44FA0F92.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AzNdevil and wheela

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
@hollracing do you know if it’s possible to turn EDiff back on, on M3 dsc? Peter on E90Post claims it can be done but I can’t my ncs to accept it and my hex is a little different too

Attachments

• IMG_2047.png
    IMG_2047.png
    564.9 KB · Views: 39

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022
@hollracing do you know if it’s possible to turn EDiff back on, on M3 dsc? Peter on E90Post claims it can be done but I can’t my ncs to accept it and my hex is a little different too
Interesting question, I hadn't really looked into this before.. And after alot of checking and reading I still can't really find a definitive answer.
And right atmo I don't have a car on hand to physically test on...
But I'm pretty confident in my answer... No, you can't turn it back on, on M3 DSC... As it never had it to begin with.

EDiff (or SW Diff Lock) is a sub-function of ADB (Automatic Differential Braking), which was introduced when the E46 mk60 got DTC. ADB is active only in DTC mode, where as EDiff is only active in DSC off. I have checked all my logging as I assume the MDM version of DTC wouldn't include ADB and it definitely looks that way.
I went back through all the technical trainings and EDiff is only really mentioned once you get to the F Series.

The M3 e5 was originally based on the unit from the e6x M5/6, and these are more similar in DSC operation to the MK60PSI (e1) in E8/9x. You can see some evidence of this in the layout and functions in there coding index's.

The location of the coding data for coding index's with EDiff is 0x300001 mask 0x20.
0x300001 mask 0x20 is not defined in any of the M3 index's, they have 0xE0 instead. This is an earlier layout of coding that originates from the E46 and goes up until early versions of the e5 in the E8/9x. It is normally labeled something like MOTOR_ART_DSC_2, and adapts the system to all the little differences for the specified engine system like changes in can messaging, ASC intervention ect and also was used along with the BAUART coding to select the correct einspurmodell. I'm guessing that as this became unnecessary however as things became more uniform across the range (BN2000, torque requests etc.) amongst other things and as the data available for coding was already pretty full this space was cleared and the few specifics that still needed to take into account the engine type had their options adapted accordingly, as can be seen.
And this I'm guessing is why it won't accept the coding, as although its within the range of the mask its not a valid option... As there was only 1 engine system in the m3 that would need to be taken into account in the DSC specifics and is selected with 0x00...

The M3 DSC was originally coded and had the same ID as the rest of the E8/9x MK60 DSC range (preproduction?) then was separated to have its own specific ID and index's.
And checking the coding update file for the e8/9x has this split prior to the introduction of EDiff and hence my answer.
See the dates on the specfic updates below:

16.05.06 Li 07-06-300 M3DSC MK60_M3.C01 [ , a] neuer Codierindex, Neue Familie M3DSC=M3

12.12.06 Li 07-03-510 DSC MK60_87.C0A [EFP34 V, c] C0A_DIFF_LOCK SW-Sperre E90/91/92/93 330i,335i,330d,335d,123d aktiviert (PA603/364)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KClemente

digitalashley

Specialist
Apr 8, 2019
Ride
135i n54, E87 N54
I read this thread a while back and other threads and never managed to get DSC to be more like an m car. I just want DSC when on to be less intrusive as I have LSD installed. I have E diff coded off. But I have to push DSC once for it to be any fun otherwise it just interferes with the LSD. What way should I go about coding my ijeos e82's DSC module? I'm not well versed with but have limited coding experience with NCS expert.

Sorry if I have missed someone's comment if this info has been answered already.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
I read this thread a while back and other threads and never managed to get DSC to be more like an m car. I just want DSC when on to be less intrusive as I have LSD installed. I have E diff coded off. But I have to push DSC once for it to be any fun otherwise it just interferes with the LSD. What way should I go about coding my ijeos e82's DSC module? I'm not well versed with but have limited coding experience with NCS expert.

Sorry if I have missed someone's comment if this info has been answered already.
I guess you should rewrite the firmware for your DSC module with the one for 1M MDSC, it might require rewiring a button but I'm not sure if it's the same for 1 series. There's a thread around called "MDSC in non-m cars", all the info you need is there.

Reactions: digitalashley

hollracing

Private
Oct 26, 2022

Could/can you not convert to M3/1M programming?

Otherwise I would need to have a whole lot more info to even know where to start with what you've given me...

From what you've said I am guessing its the probably the ASC intervention aspect of DSC? and more specifically the engine acceleration torque intervention aspect? when there is some steering angle? while at public road speeds? on a normal surface? and in normal conditions? with a car that is not to dissimilar dynamically? or in engine characteristics? to how it left the factory?
If this was the case? we would need to figure out what part/s of ASC intervention is your problem... Is it:
Falsely/incorrectly intervening?
Preventative or correctional?
Intervention triggered by the driver/vehicle/the way the 2x work together?
Intervention triggered dynamically/slip/driver input?
Intervention triggered by the vehicles modeled/actual/request states or a difference between?
Not allowing the driver to continue to correct or control the instability of the vehicle before intervening?
Solely engine torque intervention and/or brake torque?
What stage of torque intervention (ramp in, intervention, ramp out)
Etc. etc.

I myself have followed this thread since the beginning and have never quite understood why anyone would want the DSC to be more like in an E9x M3, but I do like the idea of having MDrive...
I always want the DSC in an M3 to be more like non-m3. To me at least, it is far less accurate, is unpredictable, inconsistent and there isn't enough scope in the adjustments in coding to counter this and then also to get it to be as useful of a tool to assist the driver to go quicker... but I have no use for DSC as a safety system which is where I'm guessing the general interest is... a less safe safety system?
I would convert an M3 to run non-m DSC just so it didn't turn cruise control off every time I change gear, which to get to work in the first place can only be with DSC on...

I have an e82 135i and fitting an LSD made the DSC far less intrusive.
I don't use DTC or MDM, it doesn't make any sense to me... If I'm driving normally I have DSC off (non m3), if I want to be quick where it would be useful I have it on, and if I want slip or to enjoy controlling it I have DSC off.
I have no need/interest for launch starts or highway pulls or as anticrash/safety system however.

When I get round to it I will fit an M3 DSC unit in my 135i and convert it to non-m programming because I do want the slightly nicer/better ABS intervention that I am certain is just due to the stronger motor.

Do you have any way of datalogging? CAN/GPS/Similar?

Alternatively you could just try changing things until it suits.
You could start with:
PRE_USC - Off
or
Changing the amount (conversion required if not already there) for either of GMR_LIMIT_SCHRAEG (GMR's entry/exit gradients for ASC (engine torque intervention))
or
Reduce ACS_AMR_STB
or
Reducing the 1-2 coefficient (conversion required if not already there) for Oversteer.
or
PRE_USC - Off, combined with copying oversteer coefficients and threshold from M3/1m etc.
If you report back we can go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheela

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
hey guys guess what? i finally installed my used m3 dsc pump and yaw sensor....

the yaw sensor was relatively straight forward, its located on the lhd driver/rhd passenger side, towards the front of the car/in front of the underseat subwoofer. new plug and repin and that part is done.

you can use this plug (courtesy of @KClemente ) or be cheap like me, i sourced a similar plug on taobao for 50 cents and shaved the key off together with some skin from my finger

if you didnt get the bracket together with your "new" yaw sensor, you can take a grinder and shave the insides of the old bracket for new yaw sensor to fit, you need to find some longer screws though

everything else was a fucking shitshow... seperator valve would not calibrate no matter how many times i tried to actuate everything in ista
fucking hell i even threw my purse at it and tried to sweet talk it into playing nice...hammering it didnt work either so.....so my mechanic had to taking everything back out after bleeding the brakes and swapped over the m3 dsc module part to my 335 dsc hardware/solenoid

turns out the solenoids in my used m3 dsc pump was fucked.

i had to reflash with winkfp + write uif to change the vin (change vin in protools might work just fine)
ncsexpert didnt want to code the dsc module despite VO already changed to WD92 (rhd m3) in FRM, fuck, it even says m3dsc in the ecu menu.......wtf? i ended up doing it with protools but it seems to be using a different set of options compared to ncsdummy as there are more options available in expert mode.

rebled the brakes again, then ista for some odd reason wont even attempt to calibrate/initialize the module after everything was put back together, i sat there repeating the procedure for over an hour before i gave up and did everything (calibrate steering angle, yaw sensor, pressure sensor, two seperate options for valves) from inpa

for now, i am not able to go into MDM mode or disable traction at all until i figure out the wiring on the dsc side, does anyone know what pin size is used for this wire? (*hint hint* @KClemente )

and m drive doesnt work either, ista still throws some 0x199 m button code as an error, i think this is related to the M flag not being enabled in my ikm0s flash. with a m3 szl module, the steering wheel buttons does fuck all and still changes radio input/recirc on ihka

either way, i am not really in a position to test any of this cause i am running shitty tires on the front and the rear bridgestone re71rs are pretty much worn out

at least i final fucking ly got the piece of shit to stop throwing errors at me after 6 hours and my car is drivable.

before i forget
1. winkfp does not want to flash the 1M software onto a ZR: 7841954 M3 DSC Module in comfort or expert mode
i forgot what error message it threw but i took a screenshot of it on my laptop...

2. i had to play with something with ECBA in the name in protools for my brake pedal to engage higher in travel
brake pedal was almost at the floor before brakes start to engage if i left it at what protools set as "factory coding"
and i drove 15km home with on-off brakes in stop and go traffic

3. i measured my 335 dsc valves/solenoids and its 100% the same as the m3 dsc valves/solenoids so if you are stuck swapping your dsc module, you might be able to save some $$ on this unless your motor/solenoid are fucked or on its way out

4. protools has more options than ncsdummy in coding the dsc module. i checked the definition file (MK60_M3.C08) in v57/v60.1/v70 sp-daten and they are the same. protools seems to be using the same file as seen in coding backup but there are more options for sure
*edit* i just looked again, seems it took some options from MK60_87.C08 as well, is it just me or is this the same for everyone?
i checked on 2 copies of ncsdummy to confirm im not seeing ghosts

Last edited:

KClemente

Sergeant
Nov 26, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
The pin part number is: 61 13 6 901 726 and the grommet for the wire is: 61 13 8 366 245

Now if you look at the dsc connector you’ll see two holes per pin. What my impatient self did, was loop I think 16-18 gauge wiring through both holes of that pin which when the connector is locked into place, would tightly hold the wire and keep a good secure connection. Hasn’t failed ever.

It’s been a while but I think the “M button” stopped changing the radio the moment I put the M3 szl on. No coding needed. Did you get a non M button M3 szl by chance?

I’ll post the toggle for IKM0S 0x399 later when I get home

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
The pin part number is: 61 13 6 901 726 and the grommet for the wire is: 61 13 8 366 245

Now if you look at the dsc connector you’ll see two holes per pin. What my impatient self did, was loop I think 16-18 gauge wiring through both holes of that pin which when the connector is locked into place, would tightly hold the wire and keep a good secure connection. Hasn’t failed ever.

It’s been a while but I think the “M button” stopped changing the radio the moment I put the M3 szl on. No coding needed. Did you get a non M button M3 szl by chance?

I’ll post the toggle for IKM0S 0x399 later when I get home

the part number came up as MQS ELA 0.35-0.5 MM2
let me see if i can find something local or drive 40km to see if i can find a bmw to cut

pretty sure i got a m3 szl, part number checks out and error message reflects this too, the message goes away if i swap my old non m szl on

i will bug you for the toggle if i remember ;) thanks shitloads!