M-Drive and MDM in non M cars

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Makes sense in a way. Especially if I ended up having to use a filter to filter out unwanted messages too.
Will the shift light behave normal thou with the engine having different redlines.
That, I don't know. If PeteY (was it him?) did it and it worked, there's certainly a way, but for all we know, he might've flashed MSS60 to lower the rev limits in it. If the limit is passed on CAN somewhere, MSS60 may just interpret it and automatically work on the MSD limits.

pepsicola

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Ride
335i
Sorry, only seeing this now. Nothing funky about the EDC retrofit. Coding the JBE switches the PWM output for Servotronic to EDC leds. If the leds switch correctly it most likely is working.

To check, use Tool32 -> EDCK65 -> status_digital and make sure the modes are changing when using the EDC switch. Would also recommend you set your offsetwerte ( Wear / mileage on shocks ).

As for feeling the difference - yes. There is a difference but it's not *very* pronounced. I.e in full sport mode hitting bumps makes the dashboard rattle a bit more kind of way.

So this is why my EDC button doesn't work, because I wired the servotronic into the JBE. More reason to find a way to use the MSS60.
Not sure if MSS60 can control the servotronic correctly, as at the moment I have servotronic wired to JBE, I can't control EDC. I can use diagnostic machine to switch between normal and sport, but not sport plus, or whatever it's called.

Last edited:

superwofy

Corporal
Jan 18, 2021
So this is why my EDC button doesn't work, because I wired the servotronic into the JBE. More reason to find a way to use the MSS60.
Not sure if MSS60 can control the servotronic correctly, as at the moment I have servotronic wired to JBE, I can't control EDC. I can use diagnostic machine to switch between normal and sport, but not sport plus, or whatever it's called.

Yes, the JBE can only do one or the other. For this reason, I implemented an SVT70 module to control Servotronic. I also modified its firmware so I can toggle the sport curve when I wish to.

Beware that by default, the IKM0S (probably INA0S too) MSD81 will go into sport mode as soon as you turn EDC Sport (LED 1) on as it reacts to 0x315 from the JBE.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yes, the JBE can only do one or the other. For this reason, I implemented an SVT70 module to control Servotronic. I also modified its firmware so I can toggle the sport curve when I wish to.

Beware that by default, the IKM0S (probably INA0S too) MSD81 will go into sport mode as soon as you turn EDC Sport (LED 1) on as it reacts to 0x315 from the JBE.
That's interesting, I looked high and low for 0x315 when I first started messing with MDrive because MDCT also looks for it.

I have one major difference between IN and IK, that appears to be SOF/sport switch. I've yet to get it active on IN, but works just flashing IK. Is that the same as STAT_STAT_SPT and does 0x315 carry this info?

I have SOF conf, switch, monitor enabled in IN, but still no dice and haven't been able to figure out why.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Update:

Mdrive Active bits have been added to otherwise stock MSD81 0x399 message and work exactly as I expected. No external CAN/manual message, MDCT now automatically picks up sequential/manual and DriveLogic level 5 presets, mdrv_dsc param now shows 4 (MDM) instead of 0.

More info to follow...

Thank you @Jake@MHD!!

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Update:

Mdrive Active bits have been added to otherwise stock MSD81 0x399 message and work exactly as I expected. No external CAN/manual message, MDCT now automatically picks up sequential/manual and DriveLogic level 5 presets, mdrv_dsc param now shows 4 (MDM) instead of 0.

More info to follow...

Thank you @Jake@MHD!!

How would a a stock DSC respond to the M-Drive request ?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
How would a a stock DSC respond to the M-Drive request ?

I don't think it would respond at all. The message handling might be in the non-M DCT logic, but the sport button config pays attention to the sport button and little else IIRC. The Z4 uses CAN for multiple selection options instead and I think only uses 0x315, which is separate from MDrive/0x399.

You can obviously change the defined settings that are used on sport button or Z4 modes in the DCT bin, but the only shot at non-M DCT using MDrive is probably to configure without sport button logic, make sure 0x399 logic is enabled if it's there and then there's no guarantee a non-M GWS would even pass it.

Remember when I accidentally left the M3 GWS default coded as 1M and couldn't figure out why 0x399 wasn't making it to the trans? It worked as soon as default coded back to M3. I'm not sure if a non-M GWS could even be coded to do it, even if everything else was in place. Maybe F8x coding?

Maybe @Olza can shed more light, but if you were going to go through all of that, I'd either leave what you have or just buy the MGWS and make it easy and sure to work.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I'm not sure what the 1M DSC even really pays attention to from it honestly. I was semi-expecting the DTC/MDM light to come on finally. Kombi is still coded as M3 though, not sure if it matters. There are different DSC related params that seem to have flipped with this change though and planned to flash the M3 DSC this weekend to see what's up with that working.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
No worries, I have been busy as well.
It's all working, leds and all that.
I would describe the Edc the same way, I will fool around with coding when I get to it.
Thanks! I will also try to se the wear offset.

The problem I have now is with the DSC off switch, apparently my DSC module expects 12v on pin 41 which is interrupted when the button is pressed.

My buttons cluster just shorts this pin to ground, it does not supply voltage to it.
I'm not sure how it is supposed to work.
Does anyone know or is able to check maybe?

Feeding 12v continuously does work. I'm not getting the DSC off message when starting the car and no more "dsc button held for more than 10 sec" error codes.

I still haven't been able to get the M light working fine but I'm trying again tonight with a different approach.
For whoever is interested, the issue was in my can message dispatcher on the can module. It was only sending the first 4 bytes of the can message, I'll fix that and upload the new code soon. It all works as intended now.

The 12v on the mDSC pin 41 is still an issue and I'm pretty sure this isn't how it's supposed to work. I'll ask in the other more specific threads if anyone had this issue before or if I have to change the DSC module or fix it at hardware level.

I'm starting my N54 swap in a few days and I'll be able to pitch in on the latest stuff regarding MSD81.

Did I understand correctly that now MHD provides map switching for MSD81 as well?
That'd be really cool to have Mdrive and power button to change the maps as well.

pepsicola

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Ride
335i

Beware that by default, the IKM0S (probably INA0S too) MSD81 will go into sport mode as soon as you turn EDC Sport (LED 1) on as it reacts to 0x315 from the

Just curious, have you ever found wiring diagram showing the schematic of the EDC switch and it's lighting operation.
I can find the DSC switch connected direct to DSC module, but no the DSC.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
Just curious, have you ever found wiring diagram showing the schematic of the EDC switch and it's lighting operation.
I can find the DSC switch connected direct to DSC module, but no the DSC.
I have these pictures from when I extracted the wires from an original M3 loom. There's 3 yellow wires, 2 yellow/green which are for the less and another for the switch.
If you recognise the plugs, it might help.
If you need anything else regarding it, I can try to help.

Attachments

• 20220725_201925.jpg
    20220725_201925.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220725_201844.jpg
    20220725_201844.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220725_201841.jpg
    20220725_201841.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220725_201837.jpg
    20220725_201837.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220725_201908.jpg
    20220725_201908.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220725_202052.jpg
    20220725_202052.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220725_201949.jpg
    20220725_201949.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: superwofy

pepsicola

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Ride
335i
I have these pictures from when I extracted the wires from an original M3 loom. There's 3 yellow wires, 2 yellow/green which are for the less and another for the switch.
If you recognise the plugs, it might help.
If you need anything else regarding it, I can try to help.

Great. So all 3 of them goes into the EDC switch? The two that are on the same plug is for light you mean? And the single one that goes to the back on the big long connector is for switching, I remember that's the one that the servotronic goes into.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
Great. So all 3 of them goes into the EDC switch? The two that are on the same plug is for light you mean? And the single one that goes to the back on the big long connector is for switching, I remember that's the one that the servotronic goes into.
Yes, all 3 go to edc switch. The single wire, for switch goes on one of the 2 front connectors, the blue one, it's 3 rows.

The other 2 yellow/green wires go in the long back black connector.

Ill drop some pictures of the connector for the switch when I get to the car.

pepsicola

Lurker
Apr 8, 2019
Ride
335i
Yes, all 3 go to edc switch. The single wire, for switch goes on one of the 2 front connectors, the blue one, it's 3 rows.

The other 2 yellow/green wires go in the long back black connector.

Ill drop some pictures of the connector for the switch when I get to the car.
Thanks. That's all I need for now.
I've bought a dual CAN bus development board, so I can filter the MSS60 messages coming out of it, and be able to relay all messages into the MSS60 also.

bosolanu

Private
Dec 7, 2020
Thanks. That's all I need for now.
I've bought a dual CAN bus development board, so I can filter the MSS60 messages coming out of it, and be able to relay all messages into the MSS60 also.
The pictures of the plug and wires. Apologies for the delay, might be useful to someone though.

Attachments

• 20221007_183215.jpg
    20221007_183215.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 20221007_183211.jpg
    20221007_183211.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221007_183229.jpg
    20221007_183229.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: pepsicola

tuff.N54

Apr 29, 2022
Update:

More info to follow...

Thank you @Jake@MHD!!

Is this on a IKM0S rom? I have a e93 335is that I’ve done the M3 GWS, SZL, DSC, Kombi swapped in and coded with everything working perfectly except I’m on INA0S. Have you tested to see if MDM is actually active?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Is this on a IKM0S rom? I have a e93 335is that I’ve done the M3 GWS, SZL, DSC, Kombi swapped in and coded with everything working perfectly except I’m on INA0S. Have you tested to see if MDM is actually active?

This is currently on INA0S. I ran it on IKM0S for a long time, but find IN a far better calibration for DCT.

I ran it with 1M DSC forever without issue. I'm on stock 335is Kombi and DTC light doesn't come on with 1M DSC flashed, but MDM/DTC fully appears to be active on that from everything I've logged via DME and CAN. It works off the DTC button only though, 1M DSC doesn't respond to the MDrive message, as somewhat expected.

I recently flashed the M3 DSC to see if it would respond to the MDrive message at all with the bits added, but I've been fighting with a DSC button press error at power on that's currently keeping DSC from doing anything. M3 DSC MDM mode is probably relegated to only functioning on MSS60, but I'm keeping my finger crossed.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I've been AWOL for quite a while in although I do scan through some of these threads occasionally. Sounds like some progress has been made and superwofy's CAN module sounds very interesting. I do run all the M3 modules, (GWS, SZL, DSC, KOMBI, and M3 DCT GTS flash) and IKM0S in my 335is (M button works). I don't have a sniffer or anything like that but if there's anything I might be able to help with just ask. M3 rack is sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my ass and have functional servotronic.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I've been AWOL for quite a while in although I do scan through some of these threads occasionally. Sounds like some progress has been made and superwofy's CAN module sounds very interesting. I do run all the M3 modules, (GWS, SZL, DSC, KOMBI, and M3 DCT GTS flash) and IKM0S in my 335is (M button works). I don't have a sniffer or anything like that but if there's anything I might be able to help with just ask. M3 rack is sitting in the garage waiting for me to get off my ass and have functional servotronic.
Welcome back. I might be in touch about an M3 Kombi at some point.

Adding MDrive active bits to MSD81 0x399 message has allowed DCT to automatically pick up MDrive presets. I flashed to M3 DSC 2 weeks ago to test with them added, but am having a button press error I didn't have last time and have yet to find the cause.

I'm back on 1M DSC in the meantime and am curious if M3 Kombi will light MDM on it and/or is playing any role in the M3 DSC button error I'm getting. I'm not sure M3 MDM will ever work without MSS60, but am still holding out hope there would be some response to 0x399. I haven't paid much attention to Servotronic as it's not something I have or plan to retrofit, but the MSD81 EPS is toggled by the M button on IK.

Superwofy's lastest setup is definitely slick.

Reactions: LMB335is